Sanctuary Group

Sanctuary Group Employee Reviews

Featured review
Sanctuary Group selected this as a representative review
I found everyone very supportive and helpful from my work colleagues to management. I only left because I moved. I would recommend Sanctuary Group to work for, if you stick to the rules and do your job to the best of your ability then you just sale through the day. If you get a difficult customer your manager will always support you.
Pros
Good training and support if you wish to progress.
Cons
Having to book a day off far too in advance.
Official response from Sanctuary Group
14 March 2019
Thanks for the review! It’s great to hear that you felt supported in your role. Good luck with your next venture.
Supporting clients was very rewarding but apart from that, nothing positive to say.Most negative comments about the management reflect my experience.
Pros
None.
Cons
Everything.
Anyone can get a job there its ridiculous. You are over worked under paid . If you work well you end up doing the work of other people as well thats your reward. Staff are incompetent
Cons
Absolutely poor management, arguing with staff and showing no consideration of the employees wellbeing - not to mention the awful older members of staff who showed no respect, constant b****ing to one another, overall a very toxic atmosphere. Not too sure how the place is still open. No one wants to be there which made the job a drag.
Pros
Amazing Client
Cons
Everything else
The job was great to begin with, but as the years have progressed it has become a job just to get in in the morning because it is that depressing, the houses you work in are awful, the tenants are awful and the management put more of their work on to you so they don’t have to do it, such as risk assessments, surveys, managing your day because the planners aren’t the greatest either, everything is being cut back, you have to ring the supervisor to order materials that are everyday essentials to complete the work you do,
Pros
Good money
Cons
Poorly organised, no incentive, you’re just a number
Some good days, but mostly bad. Lots of staff arguing with each other and personal verbal attacks. The salary was about average for the area. Often had to work long shifts without any breaks. Didn’t feel supported by managers and felt very pushed out by other staff. Not the easiest or nicest place to work. Saw a lot of disturbing behaviour from staff and poor hygiene protocols.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Long hours, no fair breaks, poor personal staff relations
Manager has no compassion towards staff, I was due to complete my nvq but my manager prevented this as I was leaving. When asked to complete it he said no and got an attitude. I ended up leaving as I felt I was being treated very unfairly. Not what I would expect from a “professional” The job was a lovely job when I first started, I enjoyed it and worked there for almost three years, new manager came in and the place is a shambles. Residents have a strong dislike towards him as-well as other staff. Would not recommend working here unless you wish to feel inadequate and not valued. Unfair treatment and it made my last 4 months working there very difficult.
Pros
Lovely coworkers
Cons
Bad manager
The pay is decent for Hull but the job is soul crushing. The amount of abuse you get from tenants isn't worth the stress.Management is very poor, promotion opportunities are non-existent unless you suck up to the right people or are intimidated enough to not question decisions.It tends to be that promotions go to yes men rather than the people who are good at their job, with constant promises of progression made to the people who work hard to get them to do all the rubbish management don't want to do. Overly strict on any absence and hypocritical in that they preach wellness and mental health but if you have any issues you get the Spanish Inquisition. The handling of staff during the COVID-19 crisis has been appalling, forcing staff to return to unsafe offices while removing all facilities in the name of 'safety'. The atmosphere is extremely corporate, despite the companies constant failings in regards to its service users and there's a genuine impression that the people at the top are very out of touch in regards to the day to day goings on of the company. Honestly, I would look elsewhere if any of this rings alarm bells. A lot of people I know working there feel trapped due to there being few jobs that compete with the salary on offer, although there are alternatives if you look around.
Pros
Not really any, I guess they're based in the town centre so easy to get to, but no e. Ployee parking, so it will get expensive if you drive.
Cons
Bad culture, poorly ran, staff are overworked, poor attitude to staff wellbeing and little room for progression
I started working for sanctuary housing in June 2019 as a bank support assistant. Since that time I have been contracted and then promoted to deputy local service manager. I can say I love my job and my management are supportive and encouraging, which I know can be rare with any job. Loads of training available, I've never known an organisation offer so much training. It's not about if your face fits, it's about how you apply yourself to your role and being active and present within your service. Choose to make a difference, choose to engage in professional development and work legally and ethically and you can go along way. I now assistant manage a number of services and my manager is buzzing tbh. Not often you can say that! I now plan to work my way up to LSM and then see what is available to me.
Pros
Good work life balance.
Cons
It can take a while to find a promotion because people stay with the company.
I started in sanctuary as an Assistant Manager and within 6 months was acting site deputy, albeit still on my last salary. However, this gave me invaluable experience to take forward. The training in sanctuary is second to none and very extensive. However, whilst I worked there, there was a culture of ignoring what staff wanted and bullying, senior management did try to deal with the issues but didnt seem to follow up. All in all I gained a huge amount of experience there and I do hope the culture of ignoring staff has been amended as sanctuary generally are a good company.
Pros
Great training and benefits
Cons
Expected to do higher jobs at your current rate for over a year.
The people who work on site can be wonderful and the job can be quite relaxed, however the change in the on-site management made it impossible to enjoy the work life.
The pro's - The staff (excluding management) are all welcoming and kind. They work hard and really earn their salaries. Most are really customer focused and do what they can for tenants. They make you feel at home and part of the team as soon as you start with them (again, this only refers to CSO's and not the managers)The pay is higher than most other jobs of this type locallyThe con's - Too many Managers recruited with little or no experience but who are good friends with senior management. Management can bully staff (I witnessed bullying on many occasions), this was reported to senior management and the staff member forced to leave the business after they could not take any more.Resourcing is poorly run with their staff who let their friends have the best hours and holidays they want, but decline those who they do not like. Then brag about it in the staff canteen.Staff feel undervalued, managers are very critical of small errors but good work is rarely recognised.Excellent staff overlooked for any promotion and friends selected by senior managers. Team managers refuse to speak to tenants when they are requesting to make complaints.Turnover is high because of bullying managers who always seems to get away with their behaviour and no action seems to be taken.Some senior management have only been given the role due to their length of service and they actually do not know their job, they delegate to other people and never make a decision.It feels like a really toxic place to work, the staff deserve better but most are stuck because of the good rates of pay. Decisions - more...
Pros
Pay
Cons
Bullying, toxic environment, bad customer service
I absolutely loved working in the care home that I was. I got on well with the most of the staff. Really bad management and I've tried contacting HR a few times with no success. None of the managers and the administration cares about the staff. Staffing lever is shocking. I've been left on my own so many times I can't even count them. Overall I loved working there and i loved the residents so much...
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Unpaid breaks and low staff
Management are clueless and ruined the local services, which has in turn negatively impacted service users. Not person centred in the slightest. Staff higher than you expect you to do their job while they get paid for it. Management give plenty of empty promises. Never show their face. Shifts are left uncovered. Safeguarding issues have been handled poorly. Staff are under appreciated. Horrific communication. Bare minimum support for staff and their needs. The wage itself is good, however you do not get paid enough for the amount they run you ragged. NO HOME / WORK LIFE BALANCE. AT ALL. Constantly called on your days off; as early as 7am.So many staff are leaving due to poor management. Client families are constantly disappointed. I personally look forward to leaving.
Pros
Management speak to you like a human, that’s about it.
Cons
Most things, they are running the service into the ground.
I made a massive mistake joining sanctuary. Stupidly I was attracted to the salary. In terms of benefits sanctuary are the only housing association that do not offer sick pay until you have been with the company over two years. Consequently the amount of bugs that did the rounds were terrible. When you did have the audacity to take time off sick you were made to feel like a failure and a weak cog in the team. Why anyone would choose take time off sick with no pay is beyond me.Management are shocking tyrants. I was questioned on how many times I went to the toilet, I had a kidney infection and shouldn't have been in work but I needed the money. My manager was vile and always wanted to talk to me at the end of the working day.There is absolutely no work life balance and no flexibility in your working hours.Employee assistance is farcical and not fit for purpose. I challenge anyone to find an employee (apart from mangers who seem to thrive on their power) that is genuinely happy working for Sanctuary
Pros
Cons
Oppressive depressing demoralising
Expectations high, support to complete non existent. Very little training. Senior managers set the middle managers up to fail by giving very little support and leadership. No one interested in what is happening in services, all pretence that they are doing a wonderful job! What a joke! Only interested in making money!!
Pros
Cons
Lack of appreciation, stressful, unsupported and downright dangerous practices
Started off well, looked forwarded to making a career in Social Housing at Sanctuary and thought it was a place I could make a positive impact. Dont get me wrong, there are some really nice people working in head office, but there is a negative culture amongs a select few.I enjoyed the job, Management were good (at first), Work was interesting However that soon changed when a department re-organisaton took place and I was assigned to the newly promoted manager of the "Team" who created a bad atmosphere had a manipulative manner that felt like a hidden agendaAdd to this the Covid Pandemic and it was a recipe for disaster with not much regard for added preassure caused by working from home, - out went the "work Life Balace"monitored and pressured more than in the office, two faced bullying tactics with a lot of office politics going on, backchatting etc.Constantly changing the way of working, creating unstructured and unachievable targetsMental Health as an employee was overlooked, and felt un-support given the fact many label themselves as mental Health advocates in their e-mail signitures. (not something to be taken lightly)Costly overheads are apparent, hence cost cutting, so was suprised to see they are advertising for roles, when they have been pushing for voluntary redundancies and excuses to lay people off during this pandemic
Pros
Some
Cons
Many
I worked for sanctuary for 4 years under an absolute nightmare of a manager. The management in the department I worked in were always bit**ing about each other and blaming their employees and the bit**ing and blaming was inevitably passed round to everyone else. This created an atmosphere where no one trusted each other, no one respected each other and it was awful.
Pros
Extensive in house training.
Cons
Volatile working atmosphere
Sanctuary pays reasonably well but they expect unreasonable work from you. Some managers are constantly on your back, critical, speak poorly about other members of staff within earshot, favouritism and don't invest time with you, no one to one's, only talk to you to complain never well done, so much so I couldn't wait to leave as was a toxic environment.
Pros
Pay not bad
Cons
Stressful
Incompetent micro manager who is just sitting pretty until retirement in a couple of years. Very old fashioned management style of using everything paper. Duplicating workload. Afraid of excel or didn’t want to use it because she didn’t know how nor did she feel the need to learn. Performance management was not taken serious as she advised during a mid term review 1 to 1 that they do not send the paper work to HR. Company on the whole feels very disjointed due to being very large. Outdated IT systems. Relying on retro desk top computers, which was not conducive to working from home such as incidences such as a pandemic. I had to use my own personal laptop and private mobile as IT systems had not been updated in years, way behind other housing associations of similar size.
Pros
Multiple locations across the uk.
Cons
Lack of progression, poor management.
Brilliant place to work. Very professional and helpful. The managers do nick your workers without telling you but that just the name of the game.. very good company
Pros
All of it
Cons
Not a lot
Official response from Sanctuary Group
11 August 2020
Hi, thank you for this review. We're glad that you enjoyed your time working with Sanctuary. Thank you.
  1. Employee reviews