Sanctuary

Sanctuary Employee Reviews

United Kingdom380 reviews

organisationhousingcentreresidentroleschemelovelycolleague

Not too bad

Payment is very low for people working with mental health clients. IT is not good. Buildings are old and no ventilation. Zero care about staff wellbeing.

Exciting and productive

I enjoy working at Sanctuary, lovely location, great team and supportive managers. The company provides extensive training courses to support the roles being undertaken. No two days are the same, and some days can be stressful, but that’s what teamwork is about. There is time off in lieu for working overtime.

Insights into Sanctuary

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Poor senior management

Lack of support from senior management who are paid high salaries for little work. Frontline staff work really hard with little thanks or support. High levels of staff shortages

a bit corporate and inefficient

Nice enough people but a bit do what I need to to get by.Large organisation that is a bit corporate and disjointed and extremely inefficient.lots of apathy by staff that feel underpaid.

Pros

some good can be done with client base.

Cons

can be slow and boring when quiet.

Boring place to work

Nice support staff. Manager awful with bad attitude. No opportunities for promotion and no training from service manager in how to do day to day tasks even though she had done the role before.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Pay and service manager

Burnt out

Sanctuary housing is like other mental health settings, over worked, underpaid for the level of risk and burnt out. Senior management are defensive and will rarely admit to failings. LSM's are mostly just imperfect humans putting pressure on other imperfect people, making sanctuary alot of money. Pay gap between a DLSM and LSM is a good £10k, but you as a deputy do most of the work and running. Area manager is a horror show who is out of touch. I decided that to stay sane and find myself again, I had to get out of there. Honestly in todays market, there are better opportunities awaiting people for the same, if not more money, but 90% less stress.

Pros

Gave me enough experience to know that supported living settings are toxic

Cons

Overworked, no consistency.

Fantastic Housing Association to work for

I have been a apprentice at sanctuary students since July of 2021 and since then I have grown my confidence and self esteem working with colleagues who are creating a positive experience for our residents and alongside this I have met so many fantastic colleagues who too day in and day out are passionate about helping residents and in this apprenticeship I have build on my Knowledge about social housing as my work experience was in local government and it was loosely based on social housing as well Furthermore sanctuary housing association is like a second family to me as they have been really been supportive when a significant life event occurred in my Life and they have been supportive during my apprenticeship Overall I highly recommend Sanctuary Housing Association / Sanctuary Group for those who want to start out in their career in social housing or in customer service Finally I will hopefully will apply for a permanent role in the housing association and I will definitely will commit 10-15 years of service

30 June 2022
It is fantastic to hear that you are enjoying your apprenticeship with Sanctuary Students. Sanctuary is proud of its award-winning apprenticeship programme and it sounds like you have found a great fit with your team.

Hard working

Good teams depending on what location you work. Some of the management are great and some are not no helpful. Can be a high turnover off staff ....

30 June 2022
Thank you for your review. It's important that Sanctuary look at the reasons behind turnover to identify trends so any thoughts you have would be welcomed via employeereviews@sanctuary-housing.co.uk

inspiring and beautiful place to work

From the start of my shifts to the end. I feel being in an inspiring place with team working, professional but friendly atmosphere where love and empathy for the vulnerable is our unwritten code of conduct. Whatever the work demands are often adequately rewarded by the smiling faces of our satisfied and comfortable clients. Sometimes they even say "thank you"

30 June 2022
What a lovely review. It's great to hear that you are finding your time with Sanctuary rewarding. It's so important to work in a comfortable environment and it sounds like you have found that.

Relaxed work place

Sanctuary is a relaxed place to work for and sometimes you got praise from management. Generally, people were helpful to each other. My only complaint was that they spent 3 weeks, flapping about trying to set me up onto the systems. During that time, I was looking over people's shoulders.

23 June 2022
It's good to hear that you found your Sanctuary colleagues helpful. Your thoughts and suggestions for the induction process would be welcomed via employeereviews@sanctuary-housing.co.uk

Weak, inept management

Loved the the job but procedure and policy over people. Weak management, bureaucracy causing delay and decay. Whilst middle management appeared to try their best. They were in fact inept and insufficiently skilled, which strangely led to having to become resourceful and there for more productive, however policy and procedure far out weighed productivity and performance

Pros

The Residents

Cons

The Management

9 June 2022
We'd like to understand more about your comments. Please consider contacting employeereviews@sanctuary-housing.co.uk so we can discuss further.

Company which respects their staff and appreciate hard working.

Clover court in Lowestoft is great place with lovely supporting people. There are few negative one but they working years for the company so it’s obviously not so negative. Management very flexible and always try to sort things out for you. Clients are nice but there are challenges as well. Good place to develop your career.

9 June 2022
It's great to hear how much you enjoy working with Sanctuary - thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Poor Management

Immediate Line Management unsupportive- only realistic and honest Manager left through lack of support from colleagues.Issues raised regarding bullying behaviours from residents towards staff not acted upon in spite of constant reporting.

30 June 2022
Please consider sharing more with us on these points via employeereviews@sanctuary-housing.co.uk

Every ounce of blood expected

Poor support and a hanging culture if your face doesn't fit, steer clear!No supervision, no support, ridiculous workloads and management have a put up / shut up attitude, if you don't like it leave mentality. Expectation to drive hundreds of miles for meetings which at times was plain dangerous!

Face fits your grand. Management,? Can't swear on here

Brutal management couldn't run a bath. 5 years wasted with this lot. Few guys are OK but ruined by poor management honestly give the place a very wide birth.

9 June 2022
We'd like to understand more about your comments. If you'd like to talk more please contact employeereviews@sanctuary-housing.co.uk

No proper training, managers not the best

Was told specific hours would be available which never were made available, management openly talk about you to other members of staff but never seem to have the time to talk through things with you. Expect you to pay for taxis to different service users out of pocket and give you less hours if you refuse.

8 June 2022
It would be useful to hear more about your concerns if you are happy to talk about these further. Please contact employeereviews@sanctuary-housing.co.uk

Relaxed environment

Typical work day as a receptionist was very relaxed, consist of welcoming visitors, answering phone and emails and any other clerical duties. Work environment was nice the only let down was very low pay.

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

Pay

8 June 2022
Thank you for your review, it's great to hear that you found your role with Sanctuary relaxing.

Relaxed environment to work within

Very relaxed working day as expected from a not for profit organisation. No sales targets, all about compliance and safety. Servicing and maintenance of fire alarm systems, emergency lighting, door access and cctv mainly.Management don't put pressure on engineers, expected to get on with the role professionally.

23 June 2022
Sanctuary are committed to providing safe properties for our customers and it's great to see that you found your role in that process relaxing. Thank you for your review.

Sinking ship

Two faced Management, who focused on profit making even tho it's a none profitable organisation (tax dodge) they play staff off against each other, then complain when there not motivated to work and don't want to go the extra mile.. forced staff to take the covid vaccination or lose there jobs! Then went back on it all causing stress to staff and others that had already taken the vaccine.Overtime is not paid on time, sometimes waiting 3 months for it to be authorised by regional manager, who we never heard from unless it was about time keeping on the trackerd van or speeding (2mph over speed limit)The company has no direction, it's lost what it set out to be an become all about profit. The remaining staff that's left in the estates team are overworked for the laughable wage they pay and then claim to benchmark against other company's.Hats off to the staff that are still there, you either have a good crack or your face fits or maybe you've just been brainwashed.

Pros

Take van home.. flexible when needed to be.

Cons

Not paid overtime on time Micro managed Played staff off against each other

Interesting place

Good with special needs colleagues and workload is even and sites are bit funny as in when working alone have to be quite confident. Quite bit of driving involved. Do think employees who live further away should be allowed a van to travel in

Pros

Parking

Cons

Not enough breaks

8 June 2022
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and for your positive comments. Please have a chat with your line manager if you have ongoing transport issues.

Uncomfortable Place

Sanctuary is an uncomfortable place to work. There is often tension amongst staff due to management turning staff on one another and causing friction. Management delegate all their work to normal staff members, causing stress, and then try to give you grief when you don't get your work and their work complete because they gave you too much to do. I was upset for some colleagues who were told that their job role was being removed on a live video call with employees from all across the region on. They should have been told in private first - not publicly humiliated. It's disgraceful that they came to work, only to be told publicly that they're being done away with. Awful management with no concept of empathy or knowledge in how to handle sensitive information.

8 June 2022
It would be useful to understand more about your concerns. If you are happy to talk more about this please contact employeereviews@sanctuary-housing.co.uk

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sanctuary. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement