Sanctuary
Happiness score is 49 out of 100

Sanctuary Employee Reviews

United Kingdom388 reviews

organisationhousingcentreresidentroleschemelovelycolleague

Good staff let down by poor wages

Good job, good hours & great staff. Sadly the pay is not reflective of the work as it is a multi-faceted and sometimes demanding role. The staff team & on-site management are supportive & flexible and genuinely care about the clients.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Wages

It is great to work for a company focussed on the customer and within a culture that supports people to thrive and excel as individuals and as a team to deliver something great!

Insights into Sanctuary

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Always short staffed poor management

Too much work so little staff, management Don,t even say hello all staff work so hard with no help or understanding from the manager . I actually feel sorry for the staff

Pros

Some lovely staff

Cons

Understaffed, always short of wipes gloves pads cups

Good company

My time at sanctuary was positive. There were some issues with management and fraudulent emails from others accounts but they left the company. The pay was ok, not the best nor the worst. The work environment was positive and workplaces clean. Higher management understanding and accommodating. I left due to relocation. Probably wouldn’t have left otherwise.

Do not work there unless you want to get bullied

Absolute terrible place to work, very clicky unit mhIf your face don't fit they don't like you , and they make up rumours about you to try and stop staff from having friendships while at work Team leaders are BONE iDOL would not recommend anyone to work there let Alone send anyone I know there Work load is to much and you don't get any support Fighting over hoists because there are not enough Ditty environment food was left splashed on a cupboard for 1 week

Enjoyed working there.

Many change of managers but permanent staff were great to work with. No two days were the same as in all care sectors. Wage was always few pence above min wage.

10 November 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It's great to hear that you enjoyed the variety your role offered.

Poorly managed

Poor management made the working environment stressful when it needn’t be. I have worked in social care for many years but did not rate sanctuary as an employer and they are not person centred in their approach to service users

No Faith in Management

No support , lack of respect for anything brought to the table , Clients come last , Only see people when there’s something that’s coming up or a incident has happened. Expect to be worked like a donkey!

10 November 2022
We'd like to hear more about your comments if you would like to share your feedback. Please can you contact employeereviews@sanctuary-housing.co.uk

Not too bad

Payment is very low for people working with mental health clients. IT is not good. Buildings are old and no ventilation. Zero care about staff wellbeing.

Exciting and productive

I enjoy working at Sanctuary, lovely location, great team and supportive managers. The company provides extensive training courses to support the roles being undertaken. No two days are the same, and some days can be stressful, but that’s what teamwork is about. There is time off in lieu for working overtime.

8 September 2022
It's great to hear you are enjoying working with us - thank you for your review.

Poor senior management

Lack of support from senior management who are paid high salaries for little work. Frontline staff work really hard with little thanks or support. High levels of staff shortages

a bit corporate and inefficient

Nice enough people but a bit do what I need to to get by.Large organisation that is a bit corporate and disjointed and extremely inefficient.lots of apathy by staff that feel underpaid.

Pros

some good can be done with client base.

Cons

can be slow and boring when quiet.

8 September 2022
It's good to hear that you enjoyed working with your team and with your clients. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

Boring place to work

Nice support staff. Manager awful with bad attitude. No opportunities for promotion and no training from service manager in how to do day to day tasks even though she had done the role before.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Pay and service manager

8 September 2022
Thank you for your review, it would be useful to hear more about your thoughts and suggestions on training. Would you be able to contact us with more feedback? Please email us at employeereviews@sanctuary-housing.co.uk. Thank you.

Burnt out

Sanctuary housing is like other mental health settings, over worked, underpaid for the level of risk and burnt out. Senior management are defensive and will rarely admit to failings. LSM's are mostly just imperfect humans putting pressure on other imperfect people, making sanctuary alot of money. Pay gap between a DLSM and LSM is a good £10k, but you as a deputy do most of the work and running. Area manager is a horror show who is out of touch. I decided that to stay sane and find myself again, I had to get out of there. Honestly in todays market, there are better opportunities awaiting people for the same, if not more money, but 90% less stress.

Pros

Gave me enough experience to know that supported living settings are toxic

Cons

Overworked, no consistency.

8 September 2022
Thank you for leaving us a review, although we're really sorry to read about your experience.Would you be able to contact us with more feedback? Please email us at employeereviews@sanctuary-housing.co.uk. Thank you.

Fantastic Housing Association to work for

I have been a apprentice at sanctuary students since July of 2021 and since then I have grown my confidence and self esteem working with colleagues who are creating a positive experience for our residents and alongside this I have met so many fantastic colleagues who too day in and day out are passionate about helping residents and in this apprenticeship I have build on my Knowledge about social housing as my work experience was in local government and it was loosely based on social housing as well Furthermore sanctuary housing association is like a second family to me as they have been really been supportive when a significant life event occurred in my Life and they have been supportive during my apprenticeship Overall I highly recommend Sanctuary Housing Association / Sanctuary Group for those who want to start out in their career in social housing or in customer service Finally I will hopefully will apply for a permanent role in the housing association and I will definitely will commit 10-15 years of service

30 June 2022
It is fantastic to hear that you are enjoying your apprenticeship with Sanctuary Students. Sanctuary is proud of its award-winning apprenticeship programme and it sounds like you have found a great fit with your team.

Hard working

Good teams depending on what location you work. Some of the management are great and some are not no helpful. Can be a high turnover off staff ....

30 June 2022
Thank you for your review. It's important that Sanctuary look at the reasons behind turnover to identify trends so any thoughts you have would be welcomed via employeereviews@sanctuary-housing.co.uk

inspiring and beautiful place to work

From the start of my shifts to the end. I feel being in an inspiring place with team working, professional but friendly atmosphere where love and empathy for the vulnerable is our unwritten code of conduct. Whatever the work demands are often adequately rewarded by the smiling faces of our satisfied and comfortable clients. Sometimes they even say "thank you"

30 June 2022
What a lovely review. It's great to hear that you are finding your time with Sanctuary rewarding. It's so important to work in a comfortable environment and it sounds like you have found that.

Relaxed work place

Sanctuary is a relaxed place to work for and sometimes you got praise from management. Generally, people were helpful to each other. My only complaint was that they spent 3 weeks, flapping about trying to set me up onto the systems. During that time, I was looking over people's shoulders.

23 June 2022
It's good to hear that you found your Sanctuary colleagues helpful. Your thoughts and suggestions for the induction process would be welcomed via employeereviews@sanctuary-housing.co.uk

Weak, inept management

Loved the the job but procedure and policy over people. Weak management, bureaucracy causing delay and decay. Whilst middle management appeared to try their best. They were in fact inept and insufficiently skilled, which strangely led to having to become resourceful and there for more productive, however policy and procedure far out weighed productivity and performance

Pros

The Residents

Cons

The Management

9 June 2022
We'd like to understand more about your comments. Please consider contacting employeereviews@sanctuary-housing.co.uk so we can discuss further.

Company which respects their staff and appreciate hard working.

Clover court in Lowestoft is great place with lovely supporting people. There are few negative one but they working years for the company so it’s obviously not so negative. Management very flexible and always try to sort things out for you. Clients are nice but there are challenges as well. Good place to develop your career.

9 June 2022
It's great to hear how much you enjoy working with Sanctuary - thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Poor Management

Immediate Line Management unsupportive- only realistic and honest Manager left through lack of support from colleagues.Issues raised regarding bullying behaviours from residents towards staff not acted upon in spite of constant reporting.

30 June 2022
Please consider sharing more with us on these points via employeereviews@sanctuary-housing.co.uk

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sanctuary. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement