SANDWELL METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

SANDWELL METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL Employee Reviews

One of the few functional youth services in the Midlands.Operating on a shoestring but delivering amazing youth work interventions in the community.Youth centres and 2 mobile youth buses.
A failure to deal with complaints properly. Lack of equal opportunities for training and progression. This was my personal experience. I found the environment oppressive.
Good place to work, working 4 days and get 4 days off Management are supportive, helpful counciling service available where you can talk about things that bother you.
Pros
Less stressful and enhancement pay
Cons
Less flexible
Nice place to work, people are laid back, there is a culture of tale telling by employees to management, but has I say do no wrong and what tales can they tell, line manager is ok, top manager is spot on, firm but fair, I’m enjoying my time here, plenty of overtime and the majority of people are ok.
Meetings and more meetings, increased workload. Managers not understanding the pressure put on the people who have to implement the procedures forced on the work force who have to carry out the duties, that have changed, the work force some times have to carry out these duties knowing full well that they will not succeed. Having worked at Sandwell for 20 years I have seen many changes, the creation of Sandwell Homes, I wonder how long it took for the Higher management to realise that they were creating there own jobs to be made redundant. Hence the return to Sandwell MBC.
Transporting adults and children to and from home to various day centers. mandatory training provided uniform provided D1 License required and pats certificate and first aid certificate required
Career progression. Teamwork. Treated fair. Lots of perks in this job. Looked after. Most of the office staff are supportive. You need to work alone often. But providing the best care to our clients is our main focus and its what i do best. I work split shifts on a 4 on 4 off basis. I work 26 weekends on. My role is to help clients who are discharged from hospital to maintain their independence in their own home. I support with personal care, medication, meals etc.
I worked at Sandwell for 14 years working in a team who always knew what they were doing and where they should be doing it. The team was full of experience in Facilities management and could do the role without higher management who didn't have the first idea what we did. In the end due to Higher management the team were disbanded.
working for SMBC has many benefits such as: a healthy amount of annual leave, flexi, sick leave etc. it is also a great place to work for if you want to progress and there is always room to aim higher. However the sickness policy is way too strict and needs to be looked at.
Pros
flexibile
Cons
sickness policy
Fast paced and productive company to work for. They are family orientated and fair. Customer focused and fair to employees. the work patterns vary role to role.
Working on housing estates as a caretaker !left to manage you own time to keep them safe clean & tidy.received training in aspects of the job,provided ppe and tools needed .worked to,estate plans ensures weekly checks !minor repairs graffiti removal removing fire hazards materials litterpicking was a range of duties .support provided by supervisor and issued mobile phone to keep in touch & lone worker policy when on your own .hardest part could be out in bad weather !moving heavy items & sometimes could become mundane
Pros
Invested in their employees decent salary & pension
Cons
Work weekend every month but was paid at enhanced rate
I worked here from October 2014 just after one of their famous “restructures” that take place every so often in order for management to promote their friends. I loved working in a neigbourhood office and wish I never moved. The staff there were great, management there were great, pay was ok for what we did but we had flexi time which made up for it. I moved offices (to “former Sandwell Homes HQ”) and I had a pay increase. Biggest mistake of my life. Micromanagement. Favouritism. No recognition. Good at your job? Do everyone’s job for less pay. Terrible management and supervision. Pointless tasks costing the tax payer £0000s. Avoid this council at al costs especially if you have a disability of ANY sorts. Mental health or physical health. They do NOT care regardless of what they say. Terrible.
Pros
Flexi
Cons
Management. Work life balance.
I was able to work across various departments within Sandwell council. All in which do work differently but they have to due to the nature of the roles
Pros
Flexi Time, Good Pay
Cons
Work not recognised... Just a number
the older generation dont like the new young workers and wont get used to new technology hence the whole company is stuck in the 80s. i would avoid and chose somewhere better to work.
Good people good food good times. This allowed me to make the production more age-specific to various groups. Definitely work here if you get the chance
Enjoyed being a dinner lady. The only thing that isn't so good is that Sandwell council pay less per than Walsall council by approx £1 which is quite a big difference between towns that are next door to one another. Kids and main staff I worked with were great. Had to go to the teacher training days sometimes which wasnt the nicest as we would be split up to sit with teachers from across both sites which is awkward if you're not the most confident of people with strangers. Sometimes you wouldn't know anyone on the table of 10 you were sat with.
Pros
School holidays
Cons
Pay
No job security within the council, fixed term contracts , pension was very reasonable, flexible working hours, good Opportunities within the council, redeployment opportunities
Pros
Incentives were good, pension offer was very good
Cons
No job security
every day is not the same so its a fun job to do and place to work just that the hours are not as good as full time work or part time i want more hours thats why looking for work else where
Local offices were depressing to work in, no organisation, management are bullies and everyone are snakey. I was on temp contract and they would remind me of this all the time
Pros
long lunches
Cons
management are bad
Posting of invoices, distribution of post, answering the telephone, emailing, browsing the internet. I learned how to approach my work and clients with confidence, enthusiasm, , how to priotise the importance of each piece of work The most enjoyable time is when we all had a break and got together for group sessions and actually meeting the public The staff overall were pleasant, and helpful, but there could be an element of bullying on occasions. But all in all I really enjoyed my job.
Pros
Good salary, holidays, staff helpfulness, flexibility and respect
Cons
Lots of pressure, some bullying, not easy for advancement
My work pattern is 9:00 - 17:30 Monday - Thursday and 9:00 - 17:00 on Friday. I really do enjoy working here due to the job work/life balance SMBC provide to its employees