SANDWELL METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

SANDWELL METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL Employee Reviews

United Kingdom61 reviews

councilroleprovideserviceexperiencestaffworkingenjoy

N/a

It's a school i work for used to be run by sandwell council but hasn't been run by sandwell council for a long time so overall I can't really say much about working for them

Recommend

Would recommend working here. Relaxed atmosphere, good training, rewarding role, friendly staff. Could improve with having a mentor for someone who joins as a new member.

Insights into SANDWELL METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energising work tasks
  • Support from manager

Productive and motivated staff who are fun to work with.

Working for Management and shadowing other staff is training on the job and skills obtained that remain with you and enable you to become a valued team/individual staff member. It creates a sense of pride and belonging. You become a member of staff who is seen and not overlooked, providing a high standard of service.

Pros

Fleixible working hours

Cons

None.

Working From Home was made bearable by working within such a diverse and welcoming team!

I worked a 3 month temp contract which would have been extended if I did not have to relocate to another part of the country for personal reasons.The team I was part of, including senior management, were some of the nicest colleagues I have had the pleasure of working with.Very supportive, great collaborative working and ideas and suggestions for improved work practices and customer service delivery was welcomed and valued.

Pros

Colleagues and culture of pride in service delivery

Cons

None experienced...which is rare in a local authority!

Get out after 1.5 years

The departments are too small and overworked, plus nothing ever feels resolved as management don’t really to get involved regardless of the issues raised. Generally, not many people are willing to work as a team. The only real perk is that other companies will find you more employable because you’ve worked for a local authority. Generally expect to work remotely and in the office. What else to expect: - Low moral - Gossip and infighting - If you’re IT competent, prepare to be everyone’s personal IT department- Miscommunication - out of touch management - lack of resources - reluctance of positive change- panic whenever the word “restructure” is mentioned (medium-low job security) this happens frequently. - high turnaround of staff- use of the word BAME (misguided labelling)

Pros

Flexi-leave and insight into public sector workplace

Cons

All the above

Delivering Youth Work with an amazing team

One of the few functional youth services in the Midlands.Operating on a shoestring but delivering amazing youth work interventions in the community.Youth centres and 2 mobile youth buses.

Stressful

A failure to deal with complaints properly. Lack of equal opportunities for training and progression. This was my personal experience. I found the environment oppressive.

Working patten is good 4 days on and 4 days off

Good place to work, working 4 days and get 4 days off Management are supportive, helpful counciling service available where you can talk about things that bother you.

Pros

Less stressful and enhancement pay

Cons

Less flexible

Nice job

Nice place to work, people are laid back, there is a culture of tale telling by employees to management, but has I say do no wrong and what tales can they tell, line manager is ok, top manager is spot on, firm but fair, I’m enjoying my time here, plenty of overtime and the majority of people are ok.

Depressing and negative attidudes

Meetings and more meetings, increased workload. Managers not understanding the pressure put on the people who have to implement the procedures forced on the work force who have to carry out the duties, that have changed, the work force some times have to carry out these duties knowing full well that they will not succeed. Having worked at Sandwell for 20 years I have seen many changes, the creation of Sandwell Homes, I wonder how long it took for the Higher management to realise that they were creating there own jobs to be made redundant. Hence the return to Sandwell MBC.

Good workplace

Transporting adults and children to and from home to various day centers. mandatory training provided uniform provided D1 License required and pats certificate and first aid certificate required

Career progression. Teamwork. Treated fair. Lots of perks in this job. Looked after. Most of the office staff are supportive. You need to work alone often. But providing the best care to our clients is our main focus and its what i do best. I work split shifts on a 4 on 4 off basis. I work 26 weekends on. My role is to help clients who are discharged from hospital to maintain their independence in their own home. I support with personal care, medication, meals etc.

Excellent people very poor management

I worked at Sandwell for 14 years working in a team who always knew what they were doing and where they should be doing it. The team was full of experience in Facilities management and could do the role without higher management who didn't have the first idea what we did. In the end due to Higher management the team were disbanded.

summary

working for SMBC has many benefits such as: a healthy amount of annual leave, flexi, sick leave etc. it is also a great place to work for if you want to progress and there is always room to aim higher. However the sickness policy is way too strict and needs to be looked at.

Pros

flexibile

Cons

sickness policy

Productive workplace

Fast paced and productive company to work for. They are family orientated and fair. Customer focused and fair to employees. the work patterns vary role to role.

Very good place to work good salary some decent colleagues

Working on housing estates as a caretaker !left to manage you own time to keep them safe clean & tidy.received training in aspects of the job,provided ppe and tools needed .worked to,estate plans ensures weekly checks !minor repairs graffiti removal removing fire hazards materials litterpicking was a range of duties .support provided by supervisor and issued mobile phone to keep in touch & lone worker policy when on your own .hardest part could be out in bad weather !moving heavy items & sometimes could become mundane

Pros

Invested in their employees decent salary & pension

Cons

Work weekend every month but was paid at enhanced rate

Good pay - terrible place to work

I worked here from October 2014 just after one of their famous “restructures” that take place every so often in order for management to promote their friends. I loved working in a neigbourhood office and wish I never moved. The staff there were great, management there were great, pay was ok for what we did but we had flexi time which made up for it. I moved offices (to “former Sandwell Homes HQ”) and I had a pay increase. Biggest mistake of my life. Micromanagement. Favouritism. No recognition. Good at your job? Do everyone’s job for less pay. Terrible management and supervision. Pointless tasks costing the tax payer £0000s. Avoid this council at al costs especially if you have a disability of ANY sorts. Mental health or physical health. They do NOT care regardless of what they say. Terrible.

Pros

Flexi

Cons

Management. Work life balance.

Perks

I was able to work across various departments within Sandwell council. All in which do work differently but they have to due to the nature of the roles

Pros

Flexi Time, Good Pay

Cons

Work not recognised... Just a number

living in the 80s

the older generation dont like the new young workers and wont get used to new technology hence the whole company is stuck in the 80s. i would avoid and chose somewhere better to work.

Yeah

Good people good food good times. This allowed me to make the production more age-specific to various groups. Definitely work here if you get the chance

Enjoyed my time

Enjoyed being a dinner lady. The only thing that isn't so good is that Sandwell council pay less per than Walsall council by approx £1 which is quite a big difference between towns that are next door to one another. Kids and main staff I worked with were great. Had to go to the teacher training days sometimes which wasnt the nicest as we would be split up to sit with teachers from across both sites which is awkward if you're not the most confident of people with strangers. Sometimes you wouldn't know anyone on the table of 10 you were sat with.

Pros

School holidays

Cons

Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SANDWELL METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement