SANDWELL METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

SANDWELL METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL Culture reviews

Nice place to work, people are laid back, there is a culture of tale telling by employees to management, but has I say do no wrong and what tales can they tell, line manager is ok, top manager is spot on, firm but fair, I’m enjoying my time here, plenty of overtime and the majority of people are ok.
I worked at Sandwell for 14 years working in a team who always knew what they were doing and where they should be doing it. The team was full of experience in Facilities management and could do the role without higher management who didn't have the first idea what we did. In the end due to Higher management the team were disbanded.
I was able to work across various departments within Sandwell council. All in which do work differently but they have to due to the nature of the roles
Pros
Flexi Time, Good Pay
Cons
Work not recognised... Just a number
Posting of invoices, distribution of post, answering the telephone, emailing, browsing the internet. I learned how to approach my work and clients with confidence, enthusiasm, , how to priotise the importance of each piece of work The most enjoyable time is when we all had a break and got together for group sessions and actually meeting the public The staff overall were pleasant, and helpful, but there could be an element of bullying on occasions. But all in all I really enjoyed my job.
Pros
Good salary, holidays, staff helpfulness, flexibility and respect
Cons
Lots of pressure, some bullying, not easy for advancement
Did a nvq apprenticeship with Sandwell mbc great to work for nice people great pay for apprentiship clean and tidy environments and great management..
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Hard to progress
I worked for the council for 18 years where I worked my way up with their support from a supernumery clerical assistant to an Acting Divisional Accountant.
Pros
Supportive
Cons
Needed another challenge
A great company to work for, flexible working scheme, supportive managers, has given me a variety of experience, but there is no room for progression given my current circumstances.
Pros
Supportive Organisation
Cons
Hardwork cant really be rewarded
SMBC have a great culture towards developing homegrown staff and giving them the opportunities to take control of their own development. I personally had a lot of experiences I would never had usually had working within this type of role normally. I got to meet some very knowledgeable individuals and have learned from them.
Always been a nice place to work. Work with pleasant drivers on the weekends and each help each other if the need arises.