SANDWELL METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

SANDWELL METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL Job security & advancement reviews

Career progression. Teamwork. Treated fair. Lots of perks in this job. Looked after. Most of the office staff are supportive. You need to work alone often. But providing the best care to our clients is our main focus and its what i do best. I work split shifts on a 4 on 4 off basis. I work 26 weekends on. My role is to help clients who are discharged from hospital to maintain their independence in their own home. I support with personal care, medication, meals etc.
A failure to deal with complaints properly. Lack of equal opportunities for training and progression. This was my personal experience. I found the environment oppressive.
I worked at Sandwell for 14 years working in a team who always knew what they were doing and where they should be doing it. The team was full of experience in Facilities management and could do the role without higher management who didn't have the first idea what we did. In the end due to Higher management the team were disbanded.
the older generation dont like the new young workers and wont get used to new technology hence the whole company is stuck in the 80s. i would avoid and chose somewhere better to work.
Good people good food good times. This allowed me to make the production more age-specific to various groups. Definitely work here if you get the chance
No job security within the council, fixed term contracts , pension was very reasonable, flexible working hours, good Opportunities within the council, redeployment opportunities
Pros
Incentives were good, pension offer was very good
Cons
No job security
Posting of invoices, distribution of post, answering the telephone, emailing, browsing the internet. I learned how to approach my work and clients with confidence, enthusiasm, , how to priotise the importance of each piece of work The most enjoyable time is when we all had a break and got together for group sessions and actually meeting the public The staff overall were pleasant, and helpful, but there could be an element of bullying on occasions. But all in all I really enjoyed my job.
Pros
Good salary, holidays, staff helpfulness, flexibility and respect
Cons
Lots of pressure, some bullying, not easy for advancement
There are lots of opportunites to futher your career. They always keept up with ongoing training opportunites. Gave alot of general support. My typical day was invloved in the taking and receipting of monies owed.
Pros
Flexi hours
Cons
I may have only been at SMC for one week but I thoroughly enjoyed myself and the experience that I gained. All the employees that I met were kind and always happy to help even though they played tricks on me which was quite funny.
I thought working with Sandwell council was a good idea. For those people who want to go on work experience to get a taste of what each trade is like, i would recommend it.
Pros
Lift from work there and back
Cons
Waiting around for work
I worked at Sandwell council for two weeks for work experience I experienced a lot of different things and thoroughly enjoy manual labour.i enjoyed the variety of different jobs each day
My short time at Sandwell for work experience was good I had a laugh and learnt all new techniques. Sandwell showed me what they have to do and how they do it they never missed a thing out.
Pros
Cons
Had to pay for everything
I worked for the council for 18 years where I worked my way up with their support from a supernumery clerical assistant to an Acting Divisional Accountant.
Pros
Supportive
Cons
Needed another challenge
A great company to work for, flexible working scheme, supportive managers, has given me a variety of experience, but there is no room for progression given my current circumstances.
Pros
Supportive Organisation
Cons
Hardwork cant really be rewarded
SMBC have a great culture towards developing homegrown staff and giving them the opportunities to take control of their own development. I personally had a lot of experiences I would never had usually had working within this type of role normally. I got to meet some very knowledgeable individuals and have learned from them.
Provides me learning opportunity in my career pathway and I have been very fortunate to undertake various job roles. My experience in Sandwell has been great and I have forged good relationship with staff and service users alike.
Some time ago - but good prospects and options for progression professional and caring
Pros
Secure
Cons
poor rates of pay