SANDWELL METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

SANDWELL METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL Management reviews

Good place to work, working 4 days and get 4 days off Management are supportive, helpful counciling service available where you can talk about things that bother you.
Pros
Less stressful and enhancement pay
Cons
Less flexible
A failure to deal with complaints properly. Lack of equal opportunities for training and progression. This was my personal experience. I found the environment oppressive.
Nice place to work, people are laid back, there is a culture of tale telling by employees to management, but has I say do no wrong and what tales can they tell, line manager is ok, top manager is spot on, firm but fair, I’m enjoying my time here, plenty of overtime and the majority of people are ok.
Meetings and more meetings, increased workload. Managers not understanding the pressure put on the people who have to implement the procedures forced on the work force who have to carry out the duties, that have changed, the work force some times have to carry out these duties knowing full well that they will not succeed. Having worked at Sandwell for 20 years I have seen many changes, the creation of Sandwell Homes, I wonder how long it took for the Higher management to realise that they were creating there own jobs to be made redundant. Hence the return to Sandwell MBC.
I worked at Sandwell for 14 years working in a team who always knew what they were doing and where they should be doing it. The team was full of experience in Facilities management and could do the role without higher management who didn't have the first idea what we did. In the end due to Higher management the team were disbanded.
I worked here from October 2014 just after one of their famous “restructures” that take place every so often in order for management to promote their friends. I loved working in a neigbourhood office and wish I never moved. The staff there were great, management there were great, pay was ok for what we did but we had flexi time which made up for it. I moved offices (to “former Sandwell Homes HQ”) and I had a pay increase. Biggest mistake of my life. Micromanagement. Favouritism. No recognition. Good at your job? Do everyone’s job for less pay. Terrible management and supervision. Pointless tasks costing the tax payer £0000s. Avoid this council at al costs especially if you have a disability of ANY sorts. Mental health or physical health. They do NOT care regardless of what they say. Terrible.
Pros
Flexi
Cons
Management. Work life balance.
the older generation dont like the new young workers and wont get used to new technology hence the whole company is stuck in the 80s. i would avoid and chose somewhere better to work.
Local offices were depressing to work in, no organisation, management are bullies and everyone are snakey. I was on temp contract and they would remind me of this all the time
Pros
long lunches
Cons
management are bad
Take good care, of employees Sandwell pay well good management. They take good care of staff and employee and pay well. pension is also included in contract.
Did a nvq apprenticeship with Sandwell mbc great to work for nice people great pay for apprentiship clean and tidy environments and great management..
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Hard to progress
Typical day of work is cleaning the hall and interacting with kids after dinner time. I learned cleaning and people skills whilst working at the school, the management is to keep you informed throughout the work period, the most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the kids and work mates at the school
Pros
Fits in with children's holidays
Cons
Not enough hours
Good management. Lots of training provided including all up to date training for supporting children with current training for all policies in a children's educational environment.
Fab. Great company. I have learned to work with children and support them to the best of my abilities. I know how to help them improve. I enjoy being able to turn to my co-workers for help if I need it and vice versa. Management are great too! My favourite part of the job is helping these children blossom, after all.. they only have one shot.
Overall a good place to work Having worked there for 25yrs l gained considerable knowledge with help from co workers management also have a good in house training team.
Pros
Good Salarary and Annual leavew entitlement
Cons
Budgets being cut by goverment
This job only requires me to work once a year at local government elections. The work is fun and enjoyable and I love the fact that I have an opportunity to help the local council and contribute to its development. The management and co-workers are very helpful, friendly and polite and I've never had a reason to complain. The job is fairly straight forward and I've been doing it for several years now so there isn't really any aspect that I find particularly difficult. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I get to meet so many local MPs and councillors.
the daily routine was to ensure the safe running of a diverse service that promotes good working practices, frist hand over of what has happened the day before , fiancial checks , medication checks , job allocation to co-workers e-mail checks from management, dealing with any issues that have arisen and deal with them appropriately.meetings with social workers ,mental health team , G.Ps .over 25yr i have learned that to improve a service we need to have the abilty to follow changes as and when they come into force to ensure a service is in line with govenment legistlation.management have a view that if its not broke dont change it and leave everything to the last minute, this is not the ground management but the senior management who are far out of touch of the service.most co-workers are up for the challange to support change but you will always get the few who will not go with changes and this can be detrimentle to the service because the focus is not on whats best for the service.the hardest part of the job is to get staff, management and other agencies to understand the way forward to this service is to make it person lead instead of service leadto see that the people who use this service are getting a top quailty service
Pros
good pension
Cons
to many departments