SANDWELL METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

SANDWELL METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL Work-life balance reviews

Good place to work, working 4 days and get 4 days off Management are supportive, helpful counciling service available where you can talk about things that bother you.
Pros
Less stressful and enhancement pay
Cons
Less flexible
A failure to deal with complaints properly. Lack of equal opportunities for training and progression. This was my personal experience. I found the environment oppressive.
I worked here from October 2014 just after one of their famous “restructures” that take place every so often in order for management to promote their friends. I loved working in a neigbourhood office and wish I never moved. The staff there were great, management there were great, pay was ok for what we did but we had flexi time which made up for it. I moved offices (to “former Sandwell Homes HQ”) and I had a pay increase. Biggest mistake of my life. Micromanagement. Favouritism. No recognition. Good at your job? Do everyone’s job for less pay. Terrible management and supervision. Pointless tasks costing the tax payer £0000s. Avoid this council at al costs especially if you have a disability of ANY sorts. Mental health or physical health. They do NOT care regardless of what they say. Terrible.
Pros
Flexi
Cons
Management. Work life balance.
the older generation dont like the new young workers and wont get used to new technology hence the whole company is stuck in the 80s. i would avoid and chose somewhere better to work.
Enjoyed being a dinner lady. The only thing that isn't so good is that Sandwell council pay less per than Walsall council by approx £1 which is quite a big difference between towns that are next door to one another. Kids and main staff I worked with were great. Had to go to the teacher training days sometimes which wasnt the nicest as we would be split up to sit with teachers from across both sites which is awkward if you're not the most confident of people with strangers. Sometimes you wouldn't know anyone on the table of 10 you were sat with.
Pros
School holidays
Cons
Pay
My work pattern is 9:00 - 17:30 Monday - Thursday and 9:00 - 17:00 on Friday. I really do enjoy working here due to the job work/life balance SMBC provide to its employees
There are lots of opportunites to futher your career. They always keept up with ongoing training opportunites. Gave alot of general support. My typical day was invloved in the taking and receipting of monies owed.
Pros
Flexi hours
Cons
I may have only been at SMC for one week but I thoroughly enjoyed myself and the experience that I gained. All the employees that I met were kind and always happy to help even though they played tricks on me which was quite funny.
If you like to be out door's then this is definitely the job the houres are early starts but once you out on the round the time fly's by if you don't mind the smells then if s the perfect job
A great company to work for, flexible working scheme, supportive managers, has given me a variety of experience, but there is no room for progression given my current circumstances.
Pros
Supportive Organisation
Cons
Hardwork cant really be rewarded
SMBC have a great culture towards developing homegrown staff and giving them the opportunities to take control of their own development. I personally had a lot of experiences I would never had usually had working within this type of role normally. I got to meet some very knowledgeable individuals and have learned from them.
No 2 days were the same. Providing a good service for the people of Sandwell has got more challenging over the years following cut backs from Central Government, Times are hard and more and more people are struggling with their Money and security of a Home for their families.
This job only requires me to work once a year at local government elections. The work is fun and enjoyable and I love the fact that I have an opportunity to help the local council and contribute to its development. The management and co-workers are very helpful, friendly and polite and I've never had a reason to complain. The job is fairly straight forward and I've been doing it for several years now so there isn't really any aspect that I find particularly difficult. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I get to meet so many local MPs and councillors.
Some time ago - but good prospects and options for progression professional and caring
Pros
Secure
Cons
poor rates of pay