Schuh

Schuh Employee Reviews

Schuh was a fun place to work at AT FIRST. But as time went on it’s like the managers has an attitude all the time. If you didn’t meet your targets, it would be a big deal when realistically it weren’t our fault if someone doesn’t want to buy something ( We can’t force them) If you didn’t make conversations with customers they’d make a big deal out of it, when actually I knew when certain customers didn’t want to talk, all they wanted was to try their shoes on in peace. For example when I go and buy something I find it irritating when the sales person is asking too many questions or making conversation throughout the whole sale. I’m not trying to be rude but sometimes you just don’t want to talk that’s the reality of it. Only thing that made it worth going into work was the friends you make. Schuh is a good place to work for a first job but not something to do for years in my opinion.
Pros
- Friends
Cons
- Making you feel guilty if you don’t take overtime. The pay is not that good
Management are the pinnacle of what makes Schuh a fantastic company to work for. Paying attention to your personal issues, needs, worries - both work related and personal. Unfortunately, its underpaid for the sheer amount of work - but this isnt a major fallback.
Pros
40% discounted shoes
It is a very enjoyable job for saying that sometimes dealing with the general public isn’t always easy going. There have been very few days where I haven’t enjoyed my day at work and even then it wasn’t because of the staff or the job role itself it was just because of a few awkward customers. Would definitely recommend. Only con is retail doesn’t pay amazing, but that’s not just Schuh that’s retail in general. But I have had quite a few retail jobs and hated them all, Schuh is by far the best company I have ever worked for. The staff are amazing at my store and I have made good friends, the targets are achievable and I have gained a lot of knowledge and experience in doing the job. The managers in particular are fantastic, so down to earth and they act like your friend rather than someone who’s above you, yet still very professional.
Pros
Amazing colleagues and managers
Cons
Don’t always have the same shifts
Honest review: it's good for a first job, you are placed on a minimum 3 hour contract and that's what hours you will normally work each week which is very little, you can recieve more but normally it's not good part time hours unless you work as a full timer. I think it's good experience for sales and customer service. Basic pay is ÂŁ7.70/hr. You should check your payslip each month to see it matches the hours you worked, HR isn't the easiest to get hold of. You will get a half an hour break for 5hr 30min of work and 1 hour for 6hr+. My team members are lovely people, however I think the environment is pretty unprofessional. (One of my managers has the habit of swearing infront of me while complaining about customers.) Also, its very target focused, pushing you to sell as much as you can to customers instead of positively motivating (non-financially). You will earn commission but it's not just individual, it's based on how the whole store/branch does which I don't think it's fair because you may work extra hard more than others and in the end not recieve the commision wage for the month. If you do work at Schuh just be prepared for heavy lifting, fast paced environment, staying on your feet all day, disorganised management & rude/demanding customers.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Little pay for hard labour, little hours
I’m 16 and have no work experience, but Schuh was the only company to give me a chance. I’ve been working there for 3 months now and it’s been the best ! It’s a relaxed environment with targets to meet, and the people are very friendly. HR gave us extra staff discounts due to the pandemic and they look after us a lot, such as providing food and drink when it gets busy. I would 100% recommend working here !
Pros
Healthy environment
Cons
Fast work pace
Most retail are tedious and monotonous jobs of making money for the company, with not many incentives for yourself. Schuh is quite a good place to work, management are helpful and always willing to help in areas you aren’t as confident in. In terms of pay, I do believe it should be one fixed living wage for everyone regardless of age. It’s extremely hard to be motivated to work when you are paid so little. But overall the company is an okay starting point and there’s always room for progression.
Pros
Discount, accommodate for flexible schedules
Cons
Salary
Loved this job. Good staff great perks. Good training and great bonuses. Give you great training for any areas of the job and help to go up to managerial positions. Show you how to give great customer service. Give you info to sell and update on all the brands.
Pros
Discount
I started working with the company in 2016 and it was my first ever job. hands down the best job I've had because of the environment I was in wether it is talking to customers or colleagues. Lots of skills to learn while working at Schuh as well as job progression if you ask management. There would be times where you would have to be fast paced as this is only is seasonally during Christmas time or back to school. Management would encourage you to do well as they set you up with targets but its no compulsory to get them done, just be yourself and provide the best customer service the whole way - even when you dont know who the mystery shopper is.
Pros
discounted shoes, helpful staff, good for students
Cons
short hours but depends on your contracted hours
The managers and coworkers genuinely care about you and your well being. As I struggle with anxiety even at one point they sent me home without me asking as they knew it would be best for me and too hard for me to ask. Great sales teaching and very target based which helps you improve both yours and the stores sales that in turn higher the pay. Constructive feedback is given at the start of every shift and you are able to track your progress on your iscanner (I.e iPod adapted for work).
Pros
Paid lunches, kind staff, 40% discount
Overall a good company to work for but the hours and rates are ridiculous. The company recruit students and put them on a 4 hour contract instead of retaining their current staff and give them a full time contract.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Poor pay and shifts
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Schuh?
Unorganised management, assigning pointless tasks to staff just to feel in control. Definitely the only perks of the job were the discounts, and the few friends who didn't cause drama.
Pros
good discount
Cons
overstaffed therefore not enough hours for everyone
I have worked for Schuh for nearly 3 years and I progressed to trainee manager after 1 year. I was told that I’d need to really push myself and be self motivated - which turns out to be true! I had no support from my regional manager and my store Manager. They were aware that I’d need extra support due to me only working for Schuh for 1 year and I was still learning but I got no support. Then Covid came along and made my work life very stressful so I asked to step down as a supervisor and I was not given a choice but to step down as a sales assistant because I self isolated 3 times and put stress on the store and I “didn’t put the store first” which meant I had to leave the company because my wages would not cover the cost of travel. Schuh are known for managing people out of the company that are underperforming, this is because they have either been un-loyal or unreliable towards the company.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Regional Managers, store managers
Whilst at university, Schuh was a really good place to work. They were very understanding of my timetable limitations and would never barter hours apart from calling now and again if another colleague had phoned in sick, which was understandable and got me some more hours when I needed it but didn't expect it. My management was really competent and I'm glad to call them and my former co-workers friends today. They care about staff getting along and working together well. Great work dos! The rewards for performing well in graded sales (Video Mystery Shoppers) were really good. Discounts are great too! Super happy that this was my part time work at uni.
Pros
Competent Management, Good performance incentives & rewards
Cons
Hours vary given season
You would have your day start with the nicest co-workers. I learned everything i need to know for retail including work safely and till training. Management was brilliant however running up and down the warehouse of 4 floors within a two minute limit can be frustrating especially if the shoes are misplaced. It is easy to mess up if you are looking for shoes and you getting buzzed on the iPod service. I loved the staff and the customers, iPod paging system which is very relatable and trendy and the discount on fantastic shoe choices along with a huge staff room which had lots of facilitates and personally.
Pros
Training, Co-workers and customers are lovely, useful iPod system and discount on lovely shoes
Cons
Two minute limit to retrieve goods and Overwhelming requests from paging
Very good, get to wear anything you want and get massive discounts off shoes. Only downside is that there’s sometimes not enough hours of work available
Wasn’t great, don’t like the management. I was there for a year and they had 3 different managers in that time. Discounts are good though, and the people who i had an interview with were pretty cool
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Everything else
Disorganised, rude work culture. Employees feel the need to constantly one up each other. Very young supervisors and managers meant that no one really knew what was going on at any given time. Trying to give feedback to management was like pulling teeth.
Pros
App based rota system
Cons
Rude, disorganised, unsupportive colleagues
Great place to work, everyone is so nice, the management/responsibilities/pace of the job massively vary between stores. A lot is expected of you but everything can be easily picked up. Monthly reviews which help you improve on your weaker points. Management were occasionally patronising. The longer I was there, the more initiatives the company introduced & more was expected of you to do on a daily basis however this was not reflected in pay or bonuses which is a shame as would be more motivational in my opinion.
Pros
Lovely staff, very social work environment, built up my confidence
Cons
Increasing work load & expectations not reflected in pay (yearly bonuses were removed)
It is a reasonable place to work but from a creative point of view, it is like most retailers. Underfunded, badly underpaid and unappreciated. The workload was also extremely high.
Pros
subsidiced lunches
Cons
High workload, VERY poor pay
Good place to work if you have other commitments can fit around personal life. Fun upbeat place to work and allows you to be yourself, aswell as fun staff meeting activities.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Available hours, from time to time
Always felt like workers were considered and allowed input by managers. Paid holidays for all employees and discount on shoes kept moral high and managers were as flexible as they were able to. Excellent place to work
  1. Employee reviews