Science (UK) Ltd

Science (UK) Ltd Employee Reviews

United Kingdom7 reviews

Excellent people, shame about the boss.

The studio is very friendly, 2 x 15 min tea breaks with free tea, coffee, biscuits and fruit and an hour for lunch all paid. It's very much 9-5, no one works a minute past 5 but don't ever be late! The people are lovely, hardworking, creative types. There are homemade cakes for your birthday, shared staff lunches and fun work parties at Christmas and in the Summer. The down side is, the work can be quite factory-like, they don't have windows or air-conditioning so in the Summer it's stuffy, fumy and doesn't feel healthy but don't complain as they will have you marked as a trouble maker. In general keep your head down it's a very hierarchical company. It's also not a secure job, every few years they make redundancies. If you are vegan or ethically minded it's also going to get you down after a while.

Pros

Wonderful colleagues.

Cons

Factory-like.

Great place to work.

The warehouse tech role is interesting and varied, a great opportunity to learn the art of moving art. If you’re flexible, hardworking and a good team player you’ll enjoy working at Science.Science treats their employees well and listens to their ideas: providing fantastic facilities; canteen, toilets, showers and refreshments.I’ve worked for Science for two months and can honestly say it’s the best job I’ve ever had. I have been involved in some exciting projects and feel as though Science is investing in me. Pay is fair, breaks are paid and further benefits after 3 months employment.

Insights into Science (UK) Ltd

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Clear sense of purpose

Some great staff however if you don't fit in to their way of thinking (click) you will not last.

Should you be from an art background this is probably a place for you. Personally I'm not, after a talk with the "man himself" I was assured that I was what they was looking for to progress the company way of thinking. This turned out to be very different and after a very short amount of time I realized that. It has some fantastic people with an opportunity to be part of a truly lifechanging view. That being said it will be down to the individual to find out if the exposure be good or not.

Pros

Fantastic look at a certain world with some amazing people.

Cons

No guidance, no support with huge expectations, but worst of all there is simply no structure within the company at all.

Factory working. Talented but disposable workforce.

I worked at Science for over three years.The company is owned by a famous artist (google the company).The artist requires a team of talented people to realise his concepts, produce artwork and run the business that generates millions for him.The team (when there was one) were made up of talented and, on the whole, nice people, but the management and HR Merry-go-round is not much fun (3 Studio Directors in 3 years).The studio is run like a factory, with rigid tea breaks (and a biscuit allowance).During my three years there were multiple rounds of redundancies to remove staff. These ‘redundant’ positions were largely re-staffed within in a matter of months. The business is effectively run by lawyers, and staff are treated as disposable (see the company history of redundancies). I and the vast majority of staff were laid off at the end of Oct 2020.If job security, dignity and being appreciated at work are important to you, Science may not be a good fit.

Pros

Creative team.

Cons

Upper management, HR and lawyers.

Productive and fun work place

- Great place to learn lots of new skills - The job was never dull, there was a new experience to be had everyday - Comfortable and fun work environment

unsupportive, discouraging, nepotistic,

My role at Science was vague and unconsidered. I was given absolute minimal support as a new arrival and was often required to work alone all day. I was frequently given technical tasks that usually require two people and expected to accomplish them single handedly. Moreover, I was often not given a proper briefing on tasks, which then required me to work overtime. When working with other technicians, I experienced low-key comments about my age/ gender. I felt anxious a lot. Having said this, I enjoyed eating lunch with colleagues at the studio; the painter's and fabricators that work there are sweethearts (It's just a shame about the managers).

Pros

Good location. Free snacks.

Cons

Work in isolation. Excessive overtime.

Science (UK) Ltd

Nice environment to work because the employees are lovely. The managers are very picky, though. They can do what they want. We always had meetings that went really well but then, at about a week before the end of my probation period, out of the blue, said they didn't want me working there anymore. No proper explanation or anything. It feels like they are avoiding having to add the benefits and just get through various people during the probation period. They even offered me a 'trial' to be one of the painters. I feel like they decided there was someone else they wanted, got rid of me, and got a free painting out of me to sell on my way out. My manager smiled at me as he told me I wasn't successful at the trial. Had no proper feedback from either manager. So, overall, I'm glad I found out sooner rather than later what they're like :) Goodbye Science. They are all working under a guy with mental health issues who got lucky and has people in his factory producing his "art" for him. At least I get to do my own thing now instead of tracing images and painting within the lines. I pity them.

Pros

Some nice people

Cons

Some horrendous people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Science (UK) Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement