Science Museum Group

United Kingdom45 reviews

Insights into Science Museum Group

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility

Fun workplace

No day is the same, there’s always something going on! One of the most fun companies I’ve ever worked with. Invigilator and gallery assistant roles are Great for students

Pros

Staff Discount

Great diverse work environment

I work in Visitor Experience, and it's pretty enjoyable as front of house roles go. I've worked in much harder jobs for less pay than I'm getting now (currently we get London living wage).The job varies depending on where you are, and they try to make you rotate positions every day to stop it getting boring. Positions could be anything from selling tickets, working info desks, operating flight simulators and stewarding for the IMAX theatre (when open). You really get a mix of standing and sitting, and also roles where you either talk a lot to visitors or not much at all, which keeps things fresh. You have absolutely dead days in the middle of September, or super busy and stressful half-term holidays. Expect visitors from around the world with varying levels of English! Also during school term time there tends to be loads of school groups.The team is quite large diverse in ages and backgrounds which keeps things fresh, and on the whole, people tend to enjoy their job and there's a real sense of camaraderie with each other. People hang out loads outside of work, and even after they've moved onto other jobs.Managers are a bit of a mixed bag, with some being quite efficient, and some aren't as much, but they are quite laid back on the whole. Some of them have been known to show favouritism in a few cases which isn't great, but sadly is quite common for this kind of work environment.But the managers tend to be friendly in general, and don't really mind if you chat to each other for example during quiet periods, as long as it does't stop you from serving customers! If it's -

Pros

Easy and diverse workload, great team culture and environment

Cons

No progression, managers are a mixed bag and communication can sometimes be patchy

Enjoyed working

Friendly place to work.easy parking.. everyone would help each other.. everyday is different.the best one day's are when we have events day's..get to meet lot's of people..

Quiet, not too busy on my sales desk

Great managers, very caring and thoughtful of your position, queries and opinions. Job got quite boring at times, and wasn't very busy, but I worked in a new ole that had only started up when I began so they were still trialing so were accepting of any comments and feedback of the role which I appreciated. Not much of a team attitude when it came to other departments, no one really spoke to anyone that wasn't working in the same role which I found quite sad.

Comfortable environment

Enjoyed working with the team who have been co-operative and helpful. Friendly and warm. Learnt new things at work and the operating system is user friendly.

Pros

Free snacks occasionally

management sucks

Co-workers are great and even though its a busy environment its doable especially with such a large team of people. However, management are very unprofessional and unprepared for their roles. Constantly complain about their workload and are too concerned with rewarding gossip instead of work ethic.

Good front of house team to work with

Friendly helpful colleagues from different cultural backgrounds. Line managers are young are fairly relaxed without placing pressure for targets. Job is varied. Hardest part of the job Less than London Living Wage Most enjoyable Mix of standing up and sitting down so not stuck at a computer

A Joy To Work

The science museum was a very interesting site especially for an apprentice, i had access to almost every system and this helped improve my knowledge a lot. I dealt with 1st, 2nd and even 3rd line calls during my time there.

Amazing experience

The Science Museum is a very good place to work, grow, learn. It is a shame that the employees don't enjoy and do nothing but whining, complaining, & moaning all day. It can start with just a few conversations in the staff room, somebody that doesn't want to do their jobs, and spreads widely within the business and it permeates in the culture of the company. Employee negativity can impact not just on the morale of other staff but also on their levels of engagement and performance. Ultimately, if unmanaged it can eventually impact on productivity and therefore the profitability of the business.

Pros

Very chilled environment

Cons

Everybody moaning all the time ruining other people's experience

Volunteer, fantastic place

I've been a volunteer educator at the museum for two years, specially teaching school children about the differences and advantages of electric versus steam locomotives. Due to redundancy, I have ventured more into providing the public with guided tours and cab visits and also now, the workshops, where we restore cosmetically, carriages and locomotives of national and historical importance. There is something for everyone to do, it's fantastic.

Pros

Discount as a Volunteer, great colleagues, regular and thorough communication unlike my former employer.

Cons

No cons whatsoever

Visitor Experience is a great team and the museum as a whole is very friendly

The Railway Museum is a great place to work, especially the Visitor Experience Team. A very fun place to work that gives lots of experience and a fun workplace.

Productive and exciting

Working within a project at the science museum was great. Everyone was friendly, supportive and keen to build relationships which last outside the workplace.

No growth

No progression or learning development whatsoever. .

Pros

Colleagues

Work/life balance is great, but that is about it

Worked here for almost 3 years after leaving academia post-PhD. My desire was to communicate science to people. Current role is very free and has fast-paced busy days, and often slow weeks/months in-between. You rarely ever have to bring any work home so the moment you clock out, you don't even have to worry about checking emails. This is great for work/life balance and there is a great deal of flexibility involved. The other great thing is the opportunities you are given to interact with people of all ages and from all backgrounds and get to share your knowledge and passion for scientific topics with them. It is also exciting developing new science shows and props (when the rare opportunity presents itself). The most important skills that you get several opportunities to develop are presenting, and science communication. The museum goes out of its way to offer show presenting courses at the beginning of your training which help greatly with your self confidence, and you start out small and work up to bigger shows you can run on your own. It is an amazing boost to self confidence and ability to interact with people of all kinds. However that is about all that is great about this job. Job progression is non-existent and only involves you applying for a manager role within your branch when a manager leaves. Skill learning is pretty shallow, if you have a scientific background there is almost nothing else to learn beyond presenting in a science show setting. Management is a mixed bag, you may get a micro manager, or a completely out of the picture one, or (if lucky) -

Pros

Huge flexibility, learn presenting skills, meet lots of people

Cons

Pay is bad and doesn't ever increase, most positions are stepping stones, revolving door of colleagues, slow moving culture, lots of showy improvements but not many real quality ones

Strong senior management and positive work environment

The fundraising department is mission-led, very well organised with a strong organisational structure and inspirational leadership. A very positive workplace culture with a can-do attitude. A lot of investment in personal and professional development, but not many career progression opportunities. Overall one of the best places I've worked, but I am aware this is specifically the case for the development department and other parts of the organisation may not be managed in the same way.

Pros

Strong senior management and positive work environment

Cons

Lack of career progression opportunities

Nice place to work

A few choices in contract, working in a nice part of London, work isn't too hard and the pay is decent, has busy days and quiet days and you're always interacting with lots of people from different walks of life, each with their own story to tell. The staff are wonderful and everybody gets along. You work in a new position each day and learn about the collection.

Pros

Shift hours and environment

Cons

half terms are really busy and can be overwhelming

productive

Fast pace and regular breaks provided. A fun place to work with equal balance of work and fun. I would reccomend if you have already worked in catering industry before.

fun work place

friendly people to work with, helpful , helps gain experience and builds confidence taking to customers. Helps you gain knowledge with hygiene and safety in the kitchen and helps you be able to adapt to a fast peaces working environment.

Fun and a great learning space

The work consisted of conserving the museum artefacts and each day was different. The learning curve here was great and the best part of the job was the staff and their commitment to doing a good job. They were supportive, amiable and good-natured. Would have loved to continue working there long-term.

Science and shake

during the day we worked hard to offer the perfect breakfast to the customers and we were always careful that the coffee and the milkshakes were perfect in every aspect

Place focused too much on the income, not much on the employee

Hard work, long shifts, not much time to eat. Managers don't really care about employees, it's all about making money and you have to be like a robot listening to every given order without a doubt.

Pros

met amazing people from around the world, learned my limits and how to work hard

Cons

sacrificed my health, was taken advantage of

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Science Museum Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2

3.6Job security/advancement
  • Science Museum Group
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?