Science and Technology Facilities Council

Science and Technology Facilities Council Reviews

United Kingdom21 reviews

Workplace with interesting projects

Day-to-day work involved collaboration with instrument scientists and other teams to solve unique scientific problems. Strong, collaborative atmosphere. Relaxed, with no-one breathing down your neck. Opportunity to meet plenty of interesting people.

Interesting work but lack of progression and low pay

The work culture is good but the lack of progression and the low pay make it hard to stay about. Only way to promotion is leaving and trying to find a higher band role to rejoin.

Pros

Good culture, flexible working, trusted

Cons

Low pay, zero progression

Awful employer.

Treated appealing by this Company because I was a temp covering maternity leave. No support. Very poor work culture. No Company values there whatsoever.

Pros

Cons

Environment and people

Amazing opportunities

Had the experience of working with not just networking routers and switches but also learned about the telephony systems. Also taking parts in project gave me the opportunity to put my skills and knowledge to the test.

Relaxed place to work, great culture

Great year there, enjoyed every minute. Had many opportunities to be trained by technical staff in various areas, went on training courses and help was always available when needed.

Good company to work for

staff friendly management very good very well run organisation my role was a temporary contract, due to sickness off a membeer of staff, following recovery contract ceased

Relaxed and productive atmosphere

Relaxed atmosphere, encourages innovation, able to freely interact with senior managers. Lack of pressure meant that the best productive work could be achieved.

Challenging but relaxed workplace

Management are experts at what they do, the culture is quite relaxed and people are friendly. The food in the canteen is pretty expensive but it's good.

Productive and fun workplace

Very good place to work. Very caring people, will help with any problems. Workplace culture is at very high standards. Every day is a new opportunity to learn something new.

Pros

Flex hours

In all a good place to work

Good work life balance as regards leave and flexible working. If you are into training courses there is plenty of opportunity. Projects can be many and varied

Amazing Place to Work

Lovely atmosphere, lovely colleagues. Everyone was very supportive and nurturing and gave me the opportunity to maximise my learning during my time with the company.

Bleeding edge of science

It feels good to work for the benefit of the people, in a multicultural place such as the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, based in Harwell Campus, Oxfordshire. In this place I've learned to better manage my time and my tasks; the management is proportioned to this large scale organization (+17k emplyees) and works very good. The attention for job work/life balance is amazing. Unfortunately, it has became hard to advance and the salaries are not aligned with the actual inflaction / tax scheme. There are minor benefits offered, but the only real benefit is the pension scheme.

Pros

Thrilling environment

Cons

Low salary

Excellent environment.

Excellent environment for learning and development. Exciting research with focus on continuous professional development. Flexible working opportunities.

Friendly and supportive workplace

I enjoy working here very much. I have learnt lots of new skills, including research skills and IT skills. I have been given the opportunity to have my say on how my project went and feel that my opinion was not only considered but valued.

Varied opportunities

Starts early (8am) but finishes early too with clock in system. Laboratory campus with lovely countryside views. Social and sports activity at lunch or after work. Public sector management for some projects.

Great place to work.

Great place to work, with interesting work being carried out. Easy to get stuck in post if role carrys specific needs which are not easily transfered to others. Excellent training opertunities for enhancement of career.

Pros

Very social and friendly

Cons

None of great concern.

Impenetrable management

Impenetrable management, inflexible, backward looking, unsupportive, bureaucratic, bullying, male chauvinistic culture, hierarchical, non-progressive.

Excellent opportunities if in STEM environments

During the past ten years I'm not sure I can confidently say there has ever been a typical day but in saying that there has never been a boring day either. I managed a large number of colleagues across four diverse groups in 11 different disciplines. The work place culture, and that of the organisation, is positive in the STEM environments but less so in the Administration areas. I have been actively involved with a number of high profile technical and Estates projects to ensure the infrastructure for all the great and exciting science was in place ready for the next ground breaking discovery. Salaries are better than most people outside Government employment actually realize with no glass ceilings. If you have a passion for science, technology or engineering this really is the place you want to be as your role will take you all over the world and open up opportunities in other countries working on similar or joint projects. All paid for by the UK Government. The hardest part of the role I held was the politics as a strong diplomatic core was necessary to resolve or mediate to ensure forward progress but with so many projects wanting a slice of an ever reducing budget it is understandable. STEM colleagues are passionate about their science and live it 24/7. The Joint Venture company operating on the Harwell site provides the critical commercial expertise and will be provide the momentum into the future.

Pros

Passionate STEM environment and part of a world wide event

Cons

Constant budget cuts targeted at Administration and infrastructure

Fast-paced and complex organisation with some excellent employees

I have two offices, one in Swindon and the other at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory near Didcot. I split my time between the two because I manage staff at both sites. The people I manage provide administrative support to the directors and chief executive of the organisation. These people are dedicated and conscientious, working in a busy and demanding environment. I take my management of them very seriously and often find this part of my job takes up a lot of my time. Then there's the other side of my role which is working directly with the CEO and the Chairman. I run all the board meetings, and on the days of those meetings, there's a tension in the air as my team and I ensure the meetings run smoothly, i.e. lunch arrives, taxis arrive, presentations are loaded, relevant papers ready, and all the time remaining clam and positive. The organisation is about to go through some huge changes, and there is tension building as people wonder what it means for them. Change is always difficult, but lack of control/information is highly detrimental to morale. The changes have been instigated by Government and the CEO and and his board are charged with implementing them. It is impacting negatively on the atmosphere in the offices and in some cases, pride in one's work.

Pros

Flexi-time

Cons

Government interference!

A well supported staff framework but very convoluted Management style

The downside was people were compartmentalised in the work they did so some people had very narrow jobs which became boring. The salary is good, but the management structure is on too many levels and people felt left out of the decision making process when changes were made, which happened often

Pros

Flexitime

Cons

A plethora of committees and panels which overlapped

Centre de Recherche en campagne Anglaise

Situé en bordure de canal, à proximité de Warrington, entre Manchester et l'estuaire de la rivière Mersey située au sud de Liverpool. Le centre de recherche, du Science Facility Council possède différent axes de recherche dont Accelerator Science and Technologie Center. Il est spécialisé dans l'amélioration des sources de lumière type Synchrotron et a participé à la conception de Diamond. Le centre est petit, le bâtiment est neuf, les intérieurs sont lumineux. Des employés de toutes nationalité, un petit resto de qualité mais un peut cher. Beaucoup mange dans une salle commune qui est très agréable, aussi utilisé pour des réunions décontractés. Dans le village voisin, de Daresbury, est né l'auteur d'Alice au Pays des merveilles.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Science and Technology Facilities Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement