Scot Group
Happiness score is 40 out of 100

Working at Scot Group: Latest Scot Group Reviews

United Kingdom29 reviews

You can only put up with so much

When I first started working at Thrifty it was really good, mainly due to low level management being fantastic and having great team moral, and a family feeling but over the years the company has gone downhill, with the future company employees leaving due to stress, poor salary and a lack of open mindedness from directors. The managers that are left are under so much pressure that they don't have time to support you. You may be expected to come back from holidays early to cope with the workload after redundancies.Upper management do not communicate efficiently, which results in confusion and conflict between departments.The animosity between the Head Office and branch network is not pleasant. You are constantly trying to repair a broken relationship due to poor communication or conflicting information from management.The company behaved poorly during the Covid-19 pandemic. Overnight some staff were made redundant rather than placed on the furlough scheme.Emails to confirm a bonus pay for all of our hard work during the pandemic, but then it was taken away at the last minute as many of us had submitted our resignations (despite the email from Managing Director suggesting you would receive it regardless)No promotionsNo targetsNo reviewsNo feedbackNo general supportNo mental health support (they have a mental health first aider who doesn't do anything apart from advise you to speak to your Dr)The building has a sewage issue and it makes the whole building stink of feces and rotting floors. This has been ongoing for over a year.

Pros

Gym, free parking, lunch area with TV, free Tea & Coffee etc

Cons

No support, no reviews, no targets, poor management, lack of training

Questionable tactics and place to work!

Thrifty was a great place to work to begin with. Settled in very well and the support was there. The pandemic hit and everything was always uncertain. I was thinking my profession was due to my hard work but it was only to fill a void that no one else wanted. The company made cuts left right and centre but you wouldn’t find out until the last minute or after a branch would close. No incentives as they were all taken away. The moral got pretty low due to lack of support during the pandemic. Penalised for not meeting booking demand due to lack of fleet availability and when support was requested 99% of the time your told to just deal with it. Working stupid hours and no appreciation just more demand. Insulting when they say they care about mental health but no support when actually needed. Stressed constantly and in the end just wasn’t worth my mental state of mind. Quite glad I left. Once I did leave everyone’s true colours came out especially in the upper management as the staff were dropping like flies.

Insights into Scot Group

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energising work tasks
  • Time and location flexibility

Good workplace

Thrifty Car & Van Rental is a very good place to work. Everyone is very respectful and willing to help if necessary. There are opportunities for progression within the business. It's made known to you that you are appreciated and doing a good job when necessary.

Pros

Canteen, gym, table tennis, on site car park

Cons

Always professional but still very friendly environment

I have worked here for 9 years and I have had no reason to complain about anything. Yes I work hard and some days can be challenging but that's why it's called work, besides it's good to be busy and stretched on occasion.My experience of the management has always been extremely positive, they're very approachable and always willing to listen. I know it sounds cliché but the people you work with are so important and massively influence you're overall experience at work, that's where were so lucky as we have some wonderful people at Thrifty.I appreciate we all work to earn money, but for me personally its as important to be in a happy and supportive environment. When taking all these factors in to account, Thrifty is a great company to work for.

Pros

Summer event, Christmas party, great gym and showers. Onsite parking is a massive bonus.

Rewarding company to work for with great career progression.

At Thrifty there is always a variety of functions/roles & responsibility to do. The company is in a face paced environment and always looking to improve and adapt. Work culture / team is friendly, fun, however also hard working.

Pros

Staff Canteen / Gym facilities / Table Tennis / Staff Parking / Update IT Equipment.

Cons

40 hours.

Interesting company with friendly staff

A good company to work for with nice staff. Staff not expected to work outside core hours. Opportunities for staff to progress and take on additional responsibility.

Pros

Good office environment, nice people

A great place to work in a friendly environment

I have worked in Several large companies and can say with all honesty that this is the best employer i have had. I feel that within my job role i am given the opportunity to manage my own time in a relaxed yet hard working environment with a management structure which allows for self growth whilst offering guidance and assistance where needed. I feel that the company is continuing to develop and is pushing itself to close the gap between the Senior management and general staff to ensure that all employees feel valued and connected.

Pros

Agreeable working hours, Great staff and Management.

Great team of people and a lovely place to work

I am just about to reach my 10 year anniversary of working for the company. There are plenty of opportunities within the company for progression and the staff are enthusiastic, helpful and capable. I work with some fantastic people and I’m always able to find someone to help me with anything I need assistance with. The facilities are great, with a modern office and gym.

Pros

Modern working environment and lovely people

Cons

Flexitime would be a great addition to the working week

Fast paced but rewarding!

Scot Group have had a turbulent time over the last 12 months, but have handled the situation well in order to remain successful. My role is fast paced, but I thrive off this type of work. You'll never be bored! I like to learn new skills & within my role, I am constantly learning!I also have great colleagues & we work well as a team alongside with the network of Branches to get the job done.

Pros

Management & support

Cons

The pay/employee benefits could be better

25 June 2021
Thank you for your review. We are really pleased that you are enjoying your role and have learnt new skills!Thrifty Recruitment Team

Very proactive and encouraging work place

Since joining, I have really enjoyed working at Thrifty so far. My manager has helped and encouraged me and offered the guidance I need. The team are also very supportive and have made me feel welcomed.

Pros

Team Environment, Helpful

Cons

N/a

25 June 2021
Thank you for your review. We are really pleased that your manager has been so encouraging and the team have been so welcoming to you.Thrifty Recruitment Team

Great flexibility, amazing cars, fun environment, terrible pay

Depending on your colleagues and management, your experience could have been great, or terrible. Mine went well, great people to work for, however upper upper level management do not care about you, they won’t pay a fair price to colleagues who carry the whole team and make you work like a dog

Pros

Nice cars, great team

Cons

Very low pay, not much room for development

25 June 2021
Thank you for your review, we are really pleased that your experience was a positive one. Thank you also for your feedback in regards to pay and development, we will take this into consideration.

Worst company in the UK

management only cares for themselves with no regard for the staff, salary is so low it’s impossible to make a living working here. staff were made redundant from the pandemic but the senior management got new company cars...

Pros

Cons

salary, management

25 June 2021
Thank you for your review and providing feedback. Please call the Recruitment Team on 01392 346003 if you'd like to discuss this further - we're always happy to help.

I really enjoy my position at Thrifty, it’s fast paced and busy which I like and my colleagues are great.Management are reassuring and understanding of any issues and my manager has really supported the team over the the last 12 months when things have not been easy due to COVID-19

Pros

Great work environment and facilities, ample parking

Unorganised bad management

Not a good company to work for as no organisation in the office or management. Company does not treat everyone fair as 1 rule for 1 and 1 for another. There is No office staff left as they either left or got the boot which says not a lot about the company overall. Really bad management decisions about the employees and work ethic. There is any permanent staff left and now they just recruiting zero hour people to work for them.

Pros

Cons

No Comment

I had problems understanding the whole booking and collections process. No mentoring into a new job... Left after a week... Never done that before.

Started at Thrifty thinking it could be a nice little job. Cars, Vans... Cleaning which is ok, until the pressure washer broke. Some of the staff were helpful, others not so. Decided it was not really what I was wanting to do to be honest... So, I left... Bad of me really, but I had realised that I was not getting any training, and hated having to ask what to do... Shame, but could do without the stress. Would have been better if the process had been explained in the classroom. Started off well, part of day one in training room, uncompleted... Then out in the mini bus to collect some cars... That was ok... But, some experienced staff were not forthcoming with advice and support. Shame.

Pros

Not many to be honest.

Cons

Lack of support for a new member of staff.

Worst Company

Worst company every, Badly treated and no care for the employees. No care for safety of the staff and taught to ignore legal driving rules, Very bad management with a level of bulling form for managers.

Pros

easy to get job

Cons

poor standards, bad management

Not the worst job in the world

Most of the reviews seem to be negative. I was a driver in Aberdeen a couple of years ago. I loved the job but had to leave for personal reasons. The Manager and most of my colleagues were great. The job is what you make it. I never had any problems at all. You get paid for what you work and a bit more. Flexible hours and although zero hours I always had full time hours. Seems like the negative reviews have an axe to grind.

Pros

Full time hours

Worst place ever

Don’t bother working for this company. The management is so bad and treat you like a nobody. The whole company is a fraud!! DONT WORK FOR THEM OR RENT FROM THEM !!

Pros

Cons

The company

awful place to work do not work here

not a very nice place to work, bosses dont allow you to have break, the office staff are clueless and dont have a clue how to use customer service. never work here

Pros

none at all

Cons

everything

Stressful overworked

Started out working ok for 9 months Then got no help from senior management when branch mgr left. Temp staff only bothered with own branch. Contact centre sending down jobs when no vehicles available but have to fill.

Pros

Non. Discount no cheaper than rivals

Cons

No support

Good company to enter the industry

Good company and enjoyable job, face paced, flexible and decent work load, time goes quick Only let down by: Slow progression Very poor salary and bonus Poor employee benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scot Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement