Scottish Autism
Happiness score is 35 out of 100

Scottish Autism Employee Reviews

United Kingdom128 reviews

Avoid

Service users/supported individuals are the reason we do this type of job. The Management are the reason no one can stay in this job and not have mental health issues.

Pros

Lunch out on Fridays.

Cons

Everything else.

Awarding job but very poor management

Personally i find the job itself a very rewarding job but comes with its own difficulties the same as every other job out there although these in question are mostly easily managed. But when it comes to having to deal with such poor management, that then takes over everything. Management is in no way approachable, staff are very rarely given the support they need, they prioritise certain staff over others, extreme lack in consistency. Dreading each shift as you have no idea what you are walking into. Bombarded with phone calls and texts when on annual leave to cover shifts and then guilt tripped into shifts. The job itself has a great deal of potential and that can’t be forgotten about but unfortunately the turn over off staff is so high due to the same issues that arent being addressed, these stresses are then put onto staff due to staff shortages which is then put onto those supported individuals which is far from fair. Constantly having to watch what you say around colleagues due to cliques within the staff team. I find that if the issues within current management & staff were addressed then staff morale would be alot higher and staff turnover would be less, meaning less new faces for supported individuals.

Pros

Rewarding

Cons

Too many

Insights into Scottish Autism

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Challenging but rewarding

I have worked for SA for approx. 15 years first as AP before progressing to SAP.Over that time the number of services and the geographic reach of our services has vastly increased. Unfortunately, as is the case in most social care settings, it takes time to get new staff started in the services due to background checks, training, induction period etc. Many individuals that apply for jobs within Social Care are students at the nearby university; this means that often staff only stay with SA until they have gained qualifications and leave for a job in the field they have been studying for. As with most Social Care settings we are often short staffed; which in turn puts more pressure on staff and management to cover extra shifts/services, COVID has contributed to this also.The individuals we work with are the reason we do this job, to see an individual progress over time and achieve goals they have set is incredibly rewarding and humbling although the journey to achieving that goal can be difficult for the individual and their supporting staff.The hours can be long and we can't work Monday-Friday only because we are supporting individuals requiring 24 hour support 7 days a week. However master rotas are usually out in advance so staff should know when their days off are. There is a generous holiday allowance which also increases once you have worked with the company for 5 years, so if you know you need a specific day off you can book it in advance.You do have to genuinely enjoy helping people to enjoy this job. When I have had queries or concerns regarding any aspect of services -

Pros

Good staff rewards programme, job security, rewarding career, supportive colleagues and management, inclusive employer

Cons

Variable rota, staff turnover

Avoid at all costs

Bullying culture management has their favourites and if your face fits you will be fine if not watch your back as they will resort to any means to get rid of you. For a company that is meant to care for people they have forgotten the basic principles and will put profits before people. If you value your sanity and wellbeing give this company a wide berth

Pros

Great service users

Cons

Terrible management

Stressful environment where you are expected to work with no breaks plus managers with no special needs experience apart from a bit of paper.

A positive to begin with: the team I was working with were amazing, what a group of hard working people.Negative: The job is exhausting and not enough time off between shifts to recover.Training is good for the first week then you are told either that training will happen within on or two days ( on your day off) you don't get your day off back. Management seem to lack the skills for organising training so the staff have to find what they need to do. Management tell staff that it's the responsibility of the staff to organise training. No notice of when training will happen so impossible to plan anything.Night shift is stupid as they think that when you finish a nightshirt the day is classed as a day off.If any issues with client, management will blame the staff for not dealing with any situation correctly (in the management eyes). You are blamed if the client becomes distressed. Calms training will work on some special needs children and adults, not on everyone so be prepared for being blamed for breakages or violence toward you.Arousel Physical Training is a laugh and if you do do this training be prepared for your own personal injuries. Imagine client coming at you with a knife and you have to put your arms up. Arterial flow could follow.Don't get unwell before six months or you'll be paid SSPs but stress has nothing to do with being unwell.Managers on call, some are good others...well...I've been working in care for a long time and as a support worker, why was I doing the work of a manager. Pay is pathetic considering , there will be good clients and then not -

Pros

The staff I worked with were great

Cons

Pay, days off, management and training

Very stressful

Service users where fantastic. Certain management had rules for one and then rules for another. It was very difficult to find my place within the company. It’s not about what you know it’s about who you know.

Poor standards

Would not recommend this employer to anyone poor standards throughout. Management are a joke expected to work whenever you are told. Staff training does not match work criteria

Pros

Cons

Bullying culture

Good

This is a good company to work for. Good work environment and good learning, training and development. Great people to work with, opportunities for career progression

Should be a great place to work but has issues.

I’ve worked for Scottish Autism for a few years now. You develop great relationships with the supported individuals and you get a great feeling when you see the individuals achieve something. There is fundamental problems with the place. In the main there is a lack of professionalism in the services. No two staff members are under the same rules. People are allowed to use excuses to get out of doing activities. Different precedents set for different staff. Constantly get texts asking to cover shifts. Even if you’re on annual leave. At times serious issues aren’t taken seriously. It doesn’t seem like the policies matter. Covid has had an impact on the place there is no doubt. But it’s been used as an excuse. There’s is a lack of support at time and the staff turn over is unbelievable. It could be a great place to work but it isn’t.

Disappointing job, completely undervalued staff, incompetent management

The service was poorly set up, lacked basic safety procedures, staff were under trained, lacked knowledge and experience.Inexperienced management. SI's given very little opportunity to develop, learn or thrive. Any suggestions by staff were ignored or not carried out at all. Very demotivating.

I wish this review was different

Let me begin by saying if it wasn’t for the individuals I supported I wouldn’t have stayed as long as I did. They really made the workplace better and gave me a sense of purpose in my job. Putting a lot of time and commitment into learning, being a better employee and working overtime so the individuals weren’t stuck for care. There isn’t must room to progress for anyone unless your a family member or a friend of a family member otherwise your stuck with no where to really develop. Some managers lack training in how to deal with a team therefore the needs for the team and duty of care for them is literally zero. I personally dealt with bullying throughout the years of employment and was told at times told and quote “it’s in your head.” No support for staff who struggle with mental health issues. Several times in one particular unit I was given eye rolls when struggling. Very cliquey and staff took pride in bullying and picking at staff which is something I was disgusted by - gang culture. When trying to escalate the matter more senior Management at head office they thought it was laughable and didn’t do anything about it the same goes for HR. They come across very manipulative to the system there to support staff, policies to help matters like this are vague which shows why they get away with being so unsupportive. No amount of pay is worth this treatment. Pick your happiness first.

Service users great. Management are a joke

Overall service users are great to work with some are harder work than others but makes it all worth while. Housing support comes first. So if you have an outreach shift and your needed for housing support then you’ll get moved to housing support. Shifts often changed at the very last minute and your called else where which is annoying. Most of the management don’t care about the staff. All just a number. No breaks and if your a smoker you won’t get a cigarette break as it’s a no smoking company. I had so many issue with other staff and things and wasn’t listened too. If your face doesn’t fit then be prepared to be ignored. Management have their favourites and that’s it.

The team is amazing, but the managment and staff value is abysmal

Working with the guys you support is incredible, and most of the teams you work within are just as good, but managment above unit level, especially head office is terrible, looked down upon by them/ no organisation or consideration, values awards went to themselves along with payrises and benefits whilst staff are left overworked and the guys themselves underfunded and forgotten

Pros

Incredibly rewarding work

Cons

Lack of staff value leading to high staff turnover

Every day is different

I enjoy the variety, management arrange the rota so you support different service users across the week. Shift times aren’t bad and the management/team are great at accommodating each other with shift changes.

Pros

Friendly team, supportive management team

Cons

The pay isn’t great, not as competitive as some social care organisations

Can be ok to work in, but all depends in the area you are put in.

Service users, is by far the best part, I have worked at Scottish Autism for a while now and still enjoy working with familiar and new service users.Co-workers, the majority are great to work alongside, some are just lazy and will talk about others behind their back almost like it's back in a playground sometimes.Managers, well I'd say there is 2/3 good managers in the company but the rest are useless and don't really care for their staff. At times have witnessed managers being petty and ignorant to other staff and service users. I have little to no confidence in issues being sorted by the management team.As a whole, it feels like staff are not important, turnover is high, many come in with false ideas and leave shortly after. You are pretty much thrown in and left to it and at times never see anyone else. Housing support is top priority, so if your in an outreach your more than likely to get shift's cancelled or moved to support housing. Some service users get preferential treatment over others within same area. Sometimes management put ridiculous shifts together e.g 8-2 in Dundee then 2-10 in Perth, so there is no gap for traveling, if you question it then management say "it will be fine" or "don't worry about it". Management don't seem to listen to their staff

Pros

Definitely the service users, they are amazing. Most of your coworkers are helpful and good to get along with.

Cons

Poor leadership from management At times you feel your limited to what you can and cannot do, due to lack of resources.

Not enough management support due to high turnover

Thought the training was really valuable however a lot of the processes it highlighted turned out to be completely different in the service I was in. High turnover and chronic staff shortages led to lots of overtime texts and poor work/life balance, as well as lack of support from management on longer-term issues due to them being over-run covering shifts. Changes to staffing and shifts at short notice etc. Pros - lots of great colleagues and formed really good relationships with the supported individuals.

Poorly managed and bad culture but get to Work with great people

Poorly managed, advancement and opportunities based on nepotism, coercive/bullying culture, staff treated poorly, overall run in dodgy mannerIt is a stable source of income, service users are great, and people you work alongside are great( though very high turnover)

Pros

Service users Staff you work alongside Stable income

Cons

Always understaffed( sector issue not specific to this organisation), Managment, Bullying/coercive culture, Nepotism, Run in dodgy manner

Management are awful.

Management are a joke. Treated poorly and if you dare speak up you'll soon know about it. Poor pay, bullying tactics. I only stayed as long as I did because I genuinely loved the Service Users.

Dedicated to enabling Autistic people to lead happy, healthy fulfilling lives

I have worked at Scottish Autism for 10years now. In that time I supported many individuals within their homes. Working for Scottish Autism is a very rewarding job when you put your knowledge and training into practice. Staff take the time to get to know the individual they are supporting and developing that trusting relationship put our supported individual stress / anxiety levels ast ease. Being able to teach a new skill or watch the joy on faces while doing an activity is enough to take home at the end of a working day and be proud that you have made a difference in someone's life. There is always learning and training opportunities for staff.

Pros

being part of a team

Great and Supportive Company

Scottish Autism is a great and supportive place to work. They offer great training opportunities for new staff with ongoing support from the management team. The management team value the work the staff do within the services and are not afraid to step in and help out. Should you have an interest in joining the care sector, I would recommend you join Scottish Autism. Overall superb workplace culture and support from management.

Pros

Outstanding training and support, great management team.

If there was a 0 Star option I would select this

This is down right thee worst job I have had of my life wouldn't say it was down to the children it would be down to the staff, would go in on a day shift and you would pray your child was not up and awake as its not like management would be there to help. take the kids places would be good sometimes would be a nightmare on some others all depends on the day and mood, management (there needs to be an up haul and removal and re shuffle) In the space upcoming that I left 3 months before to 3 months after 6 people had left, what does that show you?The job gave the realisation I have more patience the I guessed but towards arrogant staff and I am more resilient because if the lack of care and understanding towards staff as management don't realise we are actually people. The shifts arnt bad sometimes but it is when you are off and you get harassed to be in and do then favour after favour when if you do it is more likely your in so that a member of management can go home.The staff are 50/50 some will love you and some won't get along with you and if they don't it will be a hostile and unpleasant environment.I will forever say that this was the worst job I have had but it has helped me to get forward in my career and I am so happy I have been able to leave it behind.

Pros

Some kind Staff, Nice kids easy to build connections with.

Cons

Constant overtime texts, Physical Altercations, Lack of Support, Lack of Flexability, Nor care to yourself

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scottish Autism. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement