Scottish Autism logo

Scottish Autism Employee Reviews in Alloa

1.8
Work-life balance

Avoid

My time here was unbearable. Flung in at the deep end with no training or support in place, getting left to deal with aggressive kick offs with no experience or training. Constantly feeling on edge in case a kick off happened since you couldn’t do anything to help yourself or the people you worked with. Hope you never expect a day off if it’s not them adding in extra shifts without asking you they will text you every day off you have asking you to come in. Shift patterns are horrendous constant backshifts with a random dayshift chucked in so finishing at 11 at night and starting at 7 the next day. No help from management at all, no interest in there staff as long as you are there to do the shift that is all they are fussed about. All take take take and no give in that place, work you to the bone then wonder why they can’t keep staff. Full of empty promises to keep you there, won’t get holidays you request either if it doesn’t suit them. Never know if you’ll actually get to go home after your shift or if they’ll ask you to stay on and do a 24 hour shift then either get attitude or ignored if you don’t do it. Unhappiest I have ever been in a job, was really looking forward to starting here and experiencing a fulfilling job however it was the complete opposite. Constant turnover of staff in here and after a week of working there you would understand why. All of this for just over minimum wage. Avoid at all costs.

Pros

Great support workers/colleagues, helping young people

Cons

No support, Terrible shift pattern, Management, Not aloud social life

Depressing, clique culture, nor what you know but who you know in order to get ahead

A typical shift would start as an eight hour shift and end up being a twenty four to forty eight hour shift and then at the end of the week you would be chastised for doing too many hours even though you were begged to do them.I did learn a lot about autism, but not from the staff, from the service users. Management were a joke, worked Monday to Friday 9-5 but the service is24/7.Staff very lazy and would leave a lot of jobs to one person, usually the newest team member.Hardest part of the job was trying to fit in with people who thought they knew better than you.Best part of the job was trying to make a difference in service users lives

Pros

Building relationships with service userd

Cons

Never knowing if you were going to get home after you shift or have to stay and work on

Great experience and thankful for the chance to work with the company.

My experience of working for Scottish Autism was positive. I received an extensive induction and felt valued from the beginning. I worked mainly in the residences so can only comment on the staff team there, and in my opinion everyone, from the support workers to management, were so helpful and cared about their staff. The job has its difficulties, and lone working and thinking on your feet is required, however, I always felt able to reach out to other staff members or seniors if I had any issues at all. I have so much respect for all of the staff for the efforts they go to to ensure the service users are cared for and happy. They are a fantastic team. I had some questions after leaving regarding my pay and even then, management responded quickly and went out of their way to help.

Pros

Staff support

Cons

It can be difficult at times but very rewarding.

I love working here

I love working for Scottish Autism staff are all friendly and are always trying to do their best for the pupils and management are very supportive to staff and pupils i love that there is always learning opportunities and new challenges

Great hours

early finish on a friday as well as flexitime, laid back atmosphere, great bunch of people it system they have is terrible, no training provided new system they have comes with no training either Very understaffed

Honestly not worth it

if you have any care for your mental health stay away!!! working 24 hour shifts constantly!! God forbid you ask for a day off, you won’t get it!!, pretty sure they hate all there staff especially the younger staff who do a better job that the OAPs that’s all seem to think they run the place ;)most managers are useless and won’t ever help you unless your family, rubbish pay for what you have to put up with!! If you want to lose sleep, hair and be constantly dealing with getting a kicking in for a living this is the job for you :) The kids are brilliant shame there place of Care is a absolutely shambles!!!

Caring organisation with good values

I have worked for Scottish Autism for 20 years and have often been given opportunities for development and promotion. Like all jobs there are challenges and I have not always liked everyone I have worked with, but overall I have found them supportive and encouraging. It is a large enough organisation to have a structure and policies and therefore protection for staff, but small enough that I have felt that my voice is heard. It is a charity working in social care so it does not pay the big bucks, but my experience has been that staff are treated fairly and that staff do the job because they want to help people.

Pros

Good training and extra holidays after 5 years service

Cons

Shift work, evenings and weekends

Adult Services

I was looking at the reviews on here and felt that I needed to share my review of Scottish Autism. Scottish Autism in Central is split into adult services and children's services. I have only worked in adult services so I can only speak for that side of things but in my many years here I feel that I have had loads of opportunity to develop as well as felt supported. I have received regular supervisions where I have felt that I can speak freely to my Manager about any issues which are then quickly looked into and resolved. I am always praised for the good practice that I have shown and are always given achievable targets to work towards. The staff that work on the floor are fantastic and do very well at their jobs, ensuring they provide the best care that they can and that the service users feel safe and happy. The job is a challenging job and should never been seen as a job for someone who just needs/wants to make money as empathy, care and compassion are essential in this role but if you have these things then this company is the place for you. The service users are great and their homes/living areas are spotless and so well designed to meet their individual needs! It is amazing to help support the service users to achieve and the best feeling of all is to see the service users smile.

Pros

Great development opportunities as well as doing a rewarding job

Cons

Trying to maintain the work/home life balance

Criminal

Bad practise brushed under carpet. Abuse, neglect, corruption, theft, staff who have criminal convictions, the list is endless. If you agree with all this then work here.

Needs reported to authorities

Typical day is watching staff using mobile phones for Facebook, snapchat etc. I learned that if only the parents eyes were opened to this playground farce. Management have their eyes tight shut to corrupt staff. Culture is face fits..hardest part is witnessing horrendous practise and knowing if you speak up you will be out the door. Most enjoyable part is leaving and going to report this shocking company.

Pros

Cons

A better sleep once I leave

Jobs at Scottish Autism

in Alloa
See more jobs

Liars

Don’t know how they get away with this, the management are lieing cheating false corrupt bullies. They don’t even like the children, or staff, unless you are a crawler. Avoid for your sanity.

Pros

Kids

Cons

Managers

No no no

Terrible place to work. Kids are not looked after properly, staff are treated awful. Pay is rotten for the responsibility. Medication is not taken care of properly

Pros

Kids

Support worker

A typical day at work was watching good support workers being suspended, for practically word of mouth, and untrue facts. I learned I will be handing my notice in, very unsafe place to work. Management could not care less about anyone but themselves. Culture.....a joke. Hardest part is being a witness to their bad tactics, most enjoyable part....knowing I am leaving.

Pros

Kids

Cons

Everything except poor kids!!

Don’t work here

I was employed for around 3 months, I have never seen such a mess in any employment I have worked in, brought in a new manager, she had, so I heard a list of people she wanted out. E.g people who spoke up, people who cared, people who worked their butts off, what she wanted was wee mice. Terrible atmosphere.

Pros

Cons

Full place

A diverse and progressive place to work with amazing service users

I believe this is an excellent company full of great opportunities to develop your career! There are so many opportunities to access learning and develop skills. I take my hat off to the specialist advisory teams who have developed the Online Learning programs which have provided an invaluable resource to assist knowledge and development. I feel fully supported by my manager and know they will help, advise and point me in the right direction. I also have an excellent support network with colleagues from other areas and departments of the company. I have made some quality contacts I can speak to if I am looking to get a different perspective. I also must pay tribute to the most resilient and committed staff who work in a challenging and unpredictable industry and accept all challenges with good humour. Finally to the amazing service users we support, who face the trials and tribulations of life with a smile on their face; they get on with it and are the inspiration of why we come in work every day! So to sum it all up, Scottish Autism is and remains a challenging but exciting place to work!

Pros

See the Service Users grow and develop, advancement, networking, specialism in Online learning

Cons

I need to improve work life balance as job role is all encompassing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scottish Autism. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.8