Scottish Autism

Scottish Autism Employee Reviews in Glasgow

One word - AVOID The amount of staff they go through says it all. Student city! No disrespect to students but many left after a few months or a year for University. Very unfair on the service users. In terms of a service users timetable, no versatility and the same activities every week. I understand autistic individuals like routine but many service users in the Abbey would have easily coped with other options been introduced. Yes, you work with different service users but the long term staff get easier shifts (service users with no challenging behaviour). Its not what you know but who you know! Management needs to have a good long hard look at themselves. Inexperienced managers who are in their own wee bubble. Old pals act and all that! They fail to listen to any concerns as they know better. Many should not even be in that sort of position. This also includes Autism Practitioners. Many think they are your boss and what they say must be done. Again, many AP's shouldn't even be in that sort of position. I worked in the Abbey centre but got sent to housing support on occasions. Housing support wasn't much better. Shift times are dreadful. I have been working in the care sector for a long time and this has got to be the worst care organisation ever. The setup at Scottish Autism is a disgrace. I'm not one for writing reviews but needs must. I felt a huge sigh of relief when I left Scottish Autism.
Pros
£5 towards your lunch and great service users (and some support workers)
Cons
Management, Poor staff, Communication is shocking
Scottish Autism has high staff turnover for a few reasons. The pay is typically low, there is very little choice in shifts and you can be sent anywhere at short notice. That can mean working a shift in Largs and then going straight onto a shift in Kirkintilloch. You will have no say over your shifts and they will change quickly at short notice or you will find out a shift is cancelled when you have already arrived. This often means you will be using your annual leave to cover the hours of these cancelled shifts if there's no other shift available at short notice. In certain services a shift might only be 5 hours long which means if you're on a full time contract you're working 6 or 7 days a week to make your contracted hours. It's an expensive job to do as well, especially if you're on a service such as outreach. These will typically involve going out for a meal with a service user and usually you will receive no meal allowance. So a 5 hour shift can make you £45 but easily cost you £10. Raising these issues with seniors will you do no good at all. Apparently 'EVERYONE'S miserable, this job is killing everyone!' cos that makes it better? If you have a complaint about your working conditions the message you will receive is that you are the problem. There's also been a problem that concerns raised are never really acted upon - safety suggestions are ignored, support users are stuck doing the same activities year in year out because there's no movement towards changing anything, training is perfunctory and full of cliches - requests for specific training about issues facing - more...
Pros
there's lot of nice people working here. And lovely clients.
Cons
You probably won't know those nice people for very long.
I love supporting people on the autism spectrum and have worked for this company for years but now im looking elsewhere terrible mansgers who listen more to inexperienced staff rather than the prople who use the service and experienced staff incase they upset the inexperienced staff incase they leave Middle managers only interested in covering shifts even with under qualified staff Higher management now only interested in making a profit Which they will never do-as staff leave soon after expensive but now inadequate training for supporting people with Autism
Pros
Working with people on the dpectrum
Cons
Everything else
Have exit interviews with ALL staff who are planning on leaving and try to establish why there is such a high turnover. I only worked there for a few months as the rota was constantly being changed, management spoke to me in a rude and intimidating manner. If you challenged or asked questions you were spoken to rudely. My Rota was constantly changed I had a 3 month old at home and I asked if I could start my shift an hour later and I got threatened with a written warning. No flexibility on their part but expected you to be flexible. I was a driver so expected to do shifts in Helensburgh and then Kirkintilloch on the same day. Management have an authoritarian approach, please for the sake of the service users, train managers better, offer a better work life balance and be more flexible as talented, caring people will leave. Encourage communication with staff, management and service users. The high turn over of staff is a massive issue for service users. How many staff last longer than a year? Why is this? Its senior managements job to find this out. The service users deserve better. I will not name names but I worked in Glasgow and was based in the office in Abercrombie st.
Pros
Service users
Cons
Poor communication company wide - offered a position but took several months for them to get things in order to which I ended up taking another job elsewhere, salary is low for the amount of work expected