Scottish Autism

Scottish Autism Employee Reviews for Manager

As is often the case, the work itself with the service users is good. Managers seem very nice and friendly until you start disagreeing with them. An authoritarian paternalistic culture has been allowed to develop, although this seems to be across the sector generally and not just SA. Managers do not take responsibility for failings, instead blaming individual staff. Training is poor quality, out-of-date, cursory and tick-box, so they can evidence that training was given. There are two sets of rules, spoken and unspoken. The care/support offered is not rights-based at all. Little to no attempt is made to develop the autonomy of service users. SA do not seek advice and guidance from the adult autistic community. They have never once supported a service user to attend Autscape since it started 15 years ago. No one on the governing board of SA is autistic, so autistic people have no control over this organisation at all. Autism lags way behind other disabilities and disadvantaged groups in terms of their inclusion. Imagine a charity for any other group with no representatives of that group in any positions of real power within that organisation.
Pros
Service users
Cons
Toxic culture, no autistic space or community.
I was looking at the reviews on here and felt that I needed to share my review of Scottish Autism. Scottish Autism in Central is split into adult services and children's services. I have only worked in adult services so I can only speak for that side of things but in my many years here I feel that I have had loads of opportunity to develop as well as felt supported. I have received regular supervisions where I have felt that I can speak freely to my Manager about any issues which are then quickly looked into and resolved. I am always praised for the good practice that I have shown and are always given achievable targets to work towards. The staff that work on the floor are fantastic and do very well at their jobs, ensuring they provide the best care that they can and that the service users feel safe and happy. The job is a challenging job and should never been seen as a job for someone who just needs/wants to make money as empathy, care and compassion are essential in this role but if you have these things then this company is the place for you. The service users are great and their homes/living areas are spotless and so well designed to meet their individual needs! It is amazing to help support the service users to achieve and the best feeling of all is to see the service users smile.
Pros
Great development opportunities as well as doing a rewarding job
Cons
Trying to maintain the work/home life balance
I believe this is an excellent company full of great opportunities to develop your career! There are so many opportunities to access learning and develop skills. I take my hat off to the specialist advisory teams who have developed the Online Learning programs which have provided an invaluable resource to assist knowledge and development. I feel fully supported by my manager and know they will help, advise and point me in the right direction. I also have an excellent support network with colleagues from other areas and departments of the company. I have made some quality contacts I can speak to if I am looking to get a different perspective. I also must pay tribute to the most resilient and committed staff who work in a challenging and unpredictable industry and accept all challenges with good humour. Finally to the amazing service users we support, who face the trials and tribulations of life with a smile on their face; they get on with it and are the inspiration of why we come in work every day! So to sum it all up, Scottish Autism is and remains a challenging but exciting place to work!
Pros
See the Service Users grow and develop, advancement, networking, specialism in Online learning
Cons
I need to improve work life balance as job role is all encompassing