Scottish Autism

Support Worker85 reviews
United Kingdom85 reviews

userautismrotaorganisationbullysupporttextservice

Avoid at all costs

Bullying culture management has their favourites and if your face fits you will be fine if not watch your back as they will resort to any means to get rid of you. For a company that is meant to care for people they have forgotten the basic principles and will put profits before people. If you value your sanity and wellbeing give this company a wide berth

Pros

Great service users

Cons

Terrible management

Interesting experience

This is a great job for students that study Psychology or any healthcare degrees. It can be very full-on depending on who you are assisting. Staff are all friendly, very helpful when you ask questions or have concerns. Must always be alert during this role. Sometimes pressure to work over-time due to lack of staff. Quite a few assessments and training through out role. Everyday is different. Flexible shifts.

Insights into Scottish Autism

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Poor standards

Would not recommend this employer to anyone poor standards throughout. Management are a joke expected to work whenever you are told. Staff training does not match work criteria

Pros

Cons

Bullying culture

Good

This is a good company to work for. Good work environment and good learning, training and development. Great people to work with, opportunities for career progression

Service users great. Management are a joke

Overall service users are great to work with some are harder work than others but makes it all worth while. Housing support comes first. So if you have an outreach shift and your needed for housing support then you’ll get moved to housing support. Shifts often changed at the very last minute and your called else where which is annoying. Most of the management don’t care about the staff. All just a number. No breaks and if your a smoker you won’t get a cigarette break as it’s a no smoking company. I had so many issue with other staff and things and wasn’t listened too. If your face doesn’t fit then be prepared to be ignored. Management have their favourites and that’s it.

If there was a 0 Star option I would select this

This is down right thee worst job I have had of my life wouldn't say it was down to the children it would be down to the staff, would go in on a day shift and you would pray your child was not up and awake as its not like management would be there to help. take the kids places would be good sometimes would be a nightmare on some others all depends on the day and mood, management (there needs to be an up haul and removal and re shuffle) In the space upcoming that I left 3 months before to 3 months after 6 people had left, what does that show you?The job gave the realisation I have more patience the I guessed but towards arrogant staff and I am more resilient because if the lack of care and understanding towards staff as management don't realise we are actually people. The shifts arnt bad sometimes but it is when you are off and you get harassed to be in and do then favour after favour when if you do it is more likely your in so that a member of management can go home.The staff are 50/50 some will love you and some won't get along with you and if they don't it will be a hostile and unpleasant environment.I will forever say that this was the worst job I have had but it has helped me to get forward in my career and I am so happy I have been able to leave it behind.

Pros

Some kind Staff, Nice kids easy to build connections with.

Cons

Constant overtime texts, Physical Altercations, Lack of Support, Lack of Flexability, Nor care to yourself

Supportive workplace

The training from first starting and throughout is brilliant, there are chances to expand your knowledge if you choose. Social care can be challenging at times, as is the nature of the job, but very rewarding. Scottish Autism have a system set up so as there is always someone to call and ask questions, get advice or get some help.I had found that teams look out for each other and I had gotten on well with my colleagues. Others with more experience were willing to share their knowledge, but also are open to hearing new ideas.A new model for pay has been set up which sees opportunity to advance, this has been greatly received by staff.

Pros

Competitive pay, friendly culture

Not a good company to work for

Management don't listen to any concerns they are more interested in having conversations with their friends in the work place very one sided they seemed to have a favourite resident so the other would be treated differently so unfair especially when dealing with autistic people they really need to sort Management and staff out you are not valued worked into the ground never given any thanks or proper training for the individuals is it any wonder staff don't stay long AVOID!!

Pros

Working with the amazing residents

Not a pleasant place to work

Scottish Autism is a very unpleasant place to work, which is a shame because the service users are lovely and it's enjoyable building relationships with them. However, the managers are awful, they expect so much of you and never thank you for anything, they sometimes just point blank ignore any queries you have about rotas and so on. There's so many changes to rotas and you work ridiculous hours for a very poor wage. Management never consider how staff or service users feel about things yet constantly make changes that attempt to make the company look good on paper, but in reality does the exact opposite. Very low staff morale and so many things sadly ruin what has the potential to be a good place to work.

Pros

relationships with service users

Cons

long hours, no breaks, no smoking, poor pay

Great support for you and the person you are helping

It was genuinely lovely in an age of social care strain to witness the level of support Scottish autism gave the people it supported and its staff and to be part of that. I really liked all of my colleagues: they were exceptionally nice and very easy to work with and the workplace culture was very positive and relaxed. My bosses, especially those immediately above me who I had the most contact with, were immensely supportive and accommodating and took the time to make sure that staff were coping and felt confident and able to do all aspects of their jobs. They made sure that you felt able to talk to them and gave clear times when it was possible to do so (you also always had on call support if really needed and could contact colleagues on Microsoft Teams for less urgent help). I felt that they had my back - it never felt cut-throat. The training is comprehensive and you are not left to feel out of your depth at any point or just plunged in at the deep end. Moreover, you get several fully-paid shadow shifts prior the real thing and will never be put in a position in which something could happen that you are not trained to deal with. Even if you were to make mistakes, if you are open and honest about it as soon as you or someone else realises, you aren't made to feel terrible about it or like you're hanging on to the job by a thread - everyone is really understanding (again provided you are always upfront). There are also a lot of checks and balances for most things, which means you don't feel like everything is on you. In fact, if things go wrong, quite often the first thing -

Pros

Superb workplace culture and support from management - who generally have been in your position

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Scottish Autism?

Poor Management and staff are not valued

Management like to make it look and sound like you are valued and ‘have a voice’ in decisions being made for changes within the organisation but this is certainly not the reality of it and they will implement whatever changes suits there cost cutting exercises, no matter the impact these changes have on staff or service users. Piling more and more extra duties and increased responsibilities onto Support staff with pay rate still being minimum wage. Staff with years of experience and service within the organisation are paid the exact same as a new staff member to the organisation. No thanks to staff whatsoever, with being a frontline key worker during this awful pandemic, just a case of staff having to get on with it with no support or guidance from management.Staff shortages within the services across the whole organisation, causing staff stress and anxiety constantly and service users not receiving the full support and care they should be as staff are trying to support service users and juggle 101 other tasks at the same time. After the upheaval and uncertain times to everyone’s lives this year with the coronavirus, this organisation thinks it’s the best time to implement the no smoking ban on the 31st December 2020 and furthermore staff are not entitled to a break, paid or unpaid, whether you work a 7 hour shift or a 14 hour shift, you will not get a break as they have managed to add a Claus in the small print of contacts. The organisation have lost hard working, very caring and experienced staff due to all the above facts and more. Person based care is right out the -

Pros

Supporting the service users. Friendly, supportive and caring colleagues. Free meals.

Cons

Poor management, awful pay, no incentives, the main focus of the organisation is cost cutting and not individuals support and care anymore.

Avoid

My time here was unbearable. Flung in at the deep end with no training or support in place, getting left to deal with aggressive kick offs with no experience or training. Constantly feeling on edge in case a kick off happened since you couldn’t do anything to help yourself or the people you worked with. Hope you never expect a day off if it’s not them adding in extra shifts without asking you they will text you every day off you have asking you to come in. Shift patterns are horrendous constant backshifts with a random dayshift chucked in so finishing at 11 at night and starting at 7 the next day. No help from management at all, no interest in there staff as long as you are there to do the shift that is all they are fussed about. All take take take and no give in that place, work you to the bone then wonder why they can’t keep staff. Full of empty promises to keep you there, won’t get holidays you request either if it doesn’t suit them. Never know if you’ll actually get to go home after your shift or if they’ll ask you to stay on and do a 24 hour shift then either get attitude or ignored if you don’t do it. Unhappiest I have ever been in a job, was really looking forward to starting here and experiencing a fulfilling job however it was the complete opposite. Constant turnover of staff in here and after a week of working there you would understand why. All of this for just over minimum wage. Avoid at all costs.

Pros

Great support workers/colleagues, helping young people

Cons

No support, Terrible shift pattern, Management, Not aloud social life

Employ inexperienced staff

Worked with with this company for over 9 years and seen a huge downfall within the company, they seem to employ everyone and anyone these days, staff who have no experience in care or with autism, and put into very challenging services, really not fair on the other staff or service users! The managment are not supportive apart from a few, nothing gets investigated or followed up leaving service users and staff open to financial, emotional abuse.....the list goes on, they do not treat staff like people, you are just a number in that place regardless of how long you've worked there or how much time and effort you put in to your work they dont care....well unless your face fits or are related to one of the managers or higher up, i have witnessed staff reduced to tears because of the way they are being treated. It's such a shame as there are alot of great staff that work there that go over and beyond for the service users, but again they get no credit, there is no incentive as a long term serving staff member, you get paid the same despite your experience, qualifications and knowledge as to someone who has never worked in the care industry before. During lockdown staff were working crazy hours while no management in to help them, all 'working from home'. This use to be a really good company to work for but the past 3 years has gone downhill fast! It seems managment all get their family in to work for the company and form their own wee cliches making it uncomfortable for other people working and get discriminated against if staff feel they cant address an issue with another staff -

Pros

Service users are amazing

Cons

Long hours, rubbish pay, treated as a number not a person

An absolute joke

Absolutely a joke of a place. . Far to many chiefs and not enough indians. New no smoking at any time is a joke . We get no breaks at all. Can do 12 24 or 36 hours straight. Shocking if your a smoker or vaper. Management a joke. Dont know their a@@ from elbow. Shift changes left right and centre. No wonder service users kicking off. Clue in the name. Autism.... like structure and knowing what staff is coming in. Gets changed at last min so some kick off. Great place to work if good a sucking up bosses a@@. I work with great team but morale is very low . No thanks for covering shift or staying late. On the look out for new job. The no smoking rules only apply to staff but still expected to hold an ashtray for a SU . I will so miss my service users.

Pros

Meet some good friends and SU are lovely.

Cons

Long hours no breaks. Useless management. No smoking or vaping the whole 36 hr you are in shift.

Terrible organisation

One word - AVOID The amount of staff they go through says it all. Student city! No disrespect to students but many left after a few months or a year for University. Very unfair on the service users. In terms of a service users timetable, no versatility and the same activities every week. I understand autistic individuals like routine but many service users in the Abbey would have easily coped with other options been introduced. Yes, you work with different service users but the long term staff get easier shifts (service users with no challenging behaviour). Its not what you know but who you know! Management needs to have a good long hard look at themselves. Inexperienced managers who are in their own wee bubble. Old pals act and all that! They fail to listen to any concerns as they know better. Many should not even be in that sort of position. This also includes Autism Practitioners. Many think they are your boss and what they say must be done. Again, many AP's shouldn't even be in that sort of position. I worked in the Abbey centre but got sent to housing support on occasions. Housing support wasn't much better. Shift times are dreadful. I have been working in the care sector for a long time and this has got to be the worst care organisation ever. The setup at Scottish Autism is a disgrace. I'm not one for writing reviews but needs must. I felt a huge sigh of relief when I left Scottish Autism.

Pros

£5 towards your lunch and great service users (and some support workers)

Cons

Management, Poor staff, Communication is shocking

Great experience and thankful for the chance to work with the company.

My experience of working for Scottish Autism was positive. I received an extensive induction and felt valued from the beginning. I worked mainly in the residences so can only comment on the staff team there, and in my opinion everyone, from the support workers to management, were so helpful and cared about their staff. The job has its difficulties, and lone working and thinking on your feet is required, however, I always felt able to reach out to other staff members or seniors if I had any issues at all. I have so much respect for all of the staff for the efforts they go to to ensure the service users are cared for and happy. They are a fantastic team. I had some questions after leaving regarding my pay and even then, management responded quickly and went out of their way to help.

Pros

Staff support

Cons

It can be difficult at times but very rewarding.

Please do not work here!

I worked at Scottish Autism for over a year and can hands down say it was the WORST year of my life. The interview was great, as was the training and initial contact with my manager. My first day "shadowing" I witnessed staff dissing the service users in front of them. I was told straight away that the service users were "a pain" and I would hate working here. I have a whole 3/4 "shadow shifts" before I got put on my own with the service users. First off, the service users are amazing. And if anything, you would totally love working alongside most of them and build great relationships with them. I sometimes worked 24/48 hours shifts, with no break, and done so at my manager's request as they were ALWAYS short-staffed. During this, the staff were not supported at all. If you phoned "on-call" for the assistance, they would say they were "busy" or "too far away" to help you. They would only ever come if it was a medical emergency. I even witnessed a service user hitting a member of staff and on-call refusing to attend as they were "busy" elsewhere. Staff and service users' safety was constantly put in jeopardy due to the negligence of managers. Some service users who needed to 2 members of staff with them, were only ever allocated one member of staff. Which in most cases, seriously affected the service users' quality of life and put the staff members at risk. If you complained about this, the managers did not care at all and would see you as incompetent. If your physically unwell, or mentally unwell, you are questioned and made to feel terrible about it. You are -

Worst managers ever

never worked somewhere that the managers can make your life a living nightmare simple because they don't like you, no proof but still being disaplined for sweet f*** all, do not think because this is a charity its a good place to work, enough to drive anyone to insanity! So glad I told them to shove their job. Feel sorry for service users.

Pros

Cons

managers all stock together, ridiculous

Avoid

If your face doesn't fit, you're out. Forget seeing your families again because those 24-48 hour shifts are tedious, stressful and emotionally draining. Pay is terrible for the quality of work they demand of you, don't even get me started on management. Incompetent company. Ended up suffering physically and mentally from my time at SA, I lost valuable time and energy. Best thing I ever did was leave. I suffered appendicitis on shift and was unable to contact out of hours, the excuse was they 'accidently failed to inform my unit of last minute on call changes'. Thankfully I now work in a place where I am approached and am not another number in a long list of unhappy staff.

One of the worst

Pay below the rest of care sector, management out of touch with staff , toxic team leaders and managers who have their own cliques and not willing to help inexperienced and new members of staff who will only critisise if you are not one of "the in crowd" bogged down with paperwork which takes up time away from service users, great job if you are actually allowed to do the job and not deal with management / supervisor drama

Pros

Service users

Cons

Too many

Management don't care

I could go on and on about why Scottish Autism is an awful place to work, but I'll sum it up with this: Management do not care about service users or staff. They only care about making money. I worked in Dundee so cannot speak for other areas, but do yourself a favour and don't apply to work under such rude, incompetent people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scottish Autism. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Scottish Autism with

Learn about Scottish Autism in popular locations

• Scottish Autism
  • Support Worker
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?