Scottish Borders Council

Scottish Borders Council Employee Reviews

job itself wasnt bad but some of the management there i didnt think was fair atall, but on the job side of things i learnt quite alot using phone calls emails etc
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Management at the time
I really enjoyed working for SBC and was in my job for many years. My only reason for leaving was due to one manager who i could not work with and myself and my colleagues all left within six months of each other. The Council and the job were fantastic it was just one person who let them and us down.
The environment I work in is fantastic, there is a strong team identity which is forward looking and solution focussed. The problem with teaching is well however well documented by national media.
Pros
Long holidays
Cons
Extremely long hours, poor work life balance
Local Authority in rural area. Staff have few options and stay for years. Inefficient working practices and over complex systems. Difficult culture, positivity is encouraged, but alternative ideas are viewed as negativity and ignored.
The workloads can vary depending on demand, but managers do understand the work pressues and are sympathetic when it comes to your personal well-being.
Summer placement assisting team of Engineers on Live Projects which turned into almost a year employment but unfortunately no role available to be kept on. My successors used position to get in the door with little experience of specific role and was off sick for first 3 months which was very disappointing!!
Enjoyable place of work.Payment always in time an extra for travel allowance. Helpful office staff each time I had any queries where very quick on resolving the issues.
Pros
Travel allowance
Cons
Non
This was a work experience position, but one that I relished and enjoyed very much. I worked as part of a large team and learnt a great deal over a short period of time.
A typical day at work was actually good fun and very rewarding. Problems arose from constantly changing priorities and funding at senior levels which management at local levels found difficult to cope with. Probably typical of many local authority working environments.
Pros
rewarding work
Cons
job uncertainty
Terrible company to work for, would not advise. Worked there for 9 years and on the same money the entire time. No chance of working up and the wages are very unfair.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Scottish Borders Council?
Not best place to work. Staff undervalued and unappreciated.
Pros
None whatsoever.
Very busy don’t have time to scratch your nose your here there and every where not enough staff on shift pile as much clients onto you as they can. Get called to help out while on holiday and some times when you are on the sick
Pros
Lovely people to look after
Cons
Very long ours
Great place to work, good offices plenty of opportunities to move jobs, good managers and staff - valued workforce. motivated workforce supported by manager
My duties include transporting school children to and from school. I also carried out a service run around the local countryside transporting customers in to town for their shopping and back home. Also during my time as a Passenger Transport Driver, I have gained experience transporting the elderly and disabled people to and from day centres and Hospitals. I also had experience in all the organisation paper work to go with this job. I also worked on new bus timetables for transport Scotland setting up information and data for printing Scottish Borders Council 31/03/08 to 16/8/09 Environmental Warden My duties in this role included supervising and working alongside a team of Dog Wardens. Dealing with necessary paper. Dealing with members of the public daily as well as at Community Council meetings. I was responsible for issuing fixed penalty tickets for the following offences: Dog Fouling, Littering, Fly tipping and Anti- social orders During this I also worked at Bourne Leisure (Haggerston Castle Holiday Park) at nights and weekend where possible. Here I worked as Site Security (SIA Door supervisor) on a large Holiday park over 825 static caravans and touring pitches. Duties included ensuring the security and wellbeing and safety of all the staff, holiday makers as well as the park. Delivering gas, linen, and any electrical items hired. Dealing with any anti- social behaviour outside of the park as well as in the main complex venue, working as part of a team working with staff and Police
large amount of different tasks each day is different, for example you could be weeding one day and cutting grass and picking up litter the next. all in all you are not bored
Depending on what department you work in - it can be very stressful. Mine is not too bad. I have learned a lot in the time I have been with the organisation.
Pros
Good rate of pay
Cons
no job satisfaction
This was a very professionally run place to work. All the required training was provided and the pay was good. It was very rewarding working with the elderly residents in this care setting.
as i only worked there for a short period of time i cant give a full opinion however in the short time i was there it seemed a great place to work. the staff are all very welcoming and helpful.
Great place to work. Fun staff, great interaction with pupils. I am proud to say I have enjoyed every minute of my experience and time at Peebles High School with SBC.
Local authority is getting tougher as cut backs get more and more. The future becomes more uncertain as every day goes by. Sbc has some good policies in place which are designed to look after you as an employee.
Pros
Flexible working policy
friendly and enjoyable working environment, supportive and assisting colleagues as well as happy workplace. great first job, always enjoyed all of my jobs within sbc