Scottish Fire and Rescue Service

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service Employee Reviews

Very rewarding job but can be a challenge sometimes being a retained Firefighter , forward planning is key for work life balance best job in the world the self satisfaction out ways any amount of money.. put in 110% and you will get 110% in return..
Pros
Good pay / Holiday Entitlement, Top management.
Cons
N/a
Good on shift but feel down by middle management aren't there to help you and are looking to take you to discipline as a former firefighter enjoyed the job but always watching your back over 26 years service
It's something you do for your community and the area in which you live... You do not do it for the money as the pay is poor. Training is intensive and ongoing and contract hours at 120 per week are demanding.
Worked as cleaner, unfortunately there is a bullying culture with this group,two faced fake people.some were good people,some had serious issues.Got away early when job was finished and got paid which was good point.
Pros
Got away early
Cons
Two faced, big time.
It's a very nice place to work as management has great value for their staff. Everyone is so friendly and the workload is always what you can handle and enjoy.
Loved my job there . The staff were very friendly and make you feel as part of a team no matter what job your doing .every day is different our manager helped out on occasion to set up for staff next day .
Great bunch of guys to work with unfortunately management to scared to take responsibility for which they are actually paid for . If you want an easy life then this is the place for you
Comradeship and good teamwork are essential and working in the community gives a great sense of pride and gratitude,sense if humour essential,common sense worth its weight in gold within the service.
Pros
Comradeship, working with the community and good work life balance and job satisfsction
Cons
Can be stressful at times, night shift working.
A fantastic organisation to work for, you get to make friends for life and help the public in their dying needs. Very rewarding and enjoyable but also a lot of hard work and determination needed.
Pros
Friends for life
Cons
Late and longs hour jobs
The different situations and variety of work you do is great and if you have the drive and determination this is the job for you the SFRS can take you on a great career path
Pros
Excitment of job variety
Cons
Hours are on call so you have to drop everytbjng to attend shout
The role I partake in the fire service is a retained firefighter which means I have complete flexibility of when I work. The job is very rewarding as you help make a difference in the community.
No two days the same - good mixture of contacts you will deal with. Ever changing environment and much respect from outside world which can make introductions you require easy as doors will always open to you
Pros
Respect from community
Cons
Too diverse within regions
Most parts of the job are extremely rewarding however uncertainty over pay and shift pattern going foward are of concern. Enjoy practical aspects of the job and variety of day to day duties.
Strong and varied skill set required Canteen on site Dedicated workforce Dynamic team environment Innovation and training encouraged Flexible working hours
Joined tayside fire brigade in2001 As janitor worked with a team of other janitors in various locations around tayside.Job developed from being basic janitorial duties to taken on extra duties i.e hgv class 2,electric PAT testing,forklift.Duties included the daily movement of operational equitpment . The culture at the time was very enjoyable I and the other janitors were left alone to organise our work routine without any ilterference from management.In2013 all changed for the worst when Scottish fire@rescue was created .My role of janitor was basically eroded year on year until my job was threatened by privitisation which I was not able to accept I took redundancy package.
Kept busy during shifts. Learn many new skills and constantly training and testing equipment. Great workplace environment and team mentality. Hardest part of the job is not able to help someone. Enjoyable part is helping others.
Pros
Great Team Mentality.
Cons
Not Being Able To Help Someone.
a great job with a good station environment , unfortunately the senior management are driven by self promotion and not providing a fit for purpose service
.The team I worked in is great but there are major flaws that need to be addressed following the amalgamation of the services. HR is appalling. Priorities are often misplaced.
The training I was provided was very good and all the staff knew alot about the job and subjects. It was a very detailed course. The things I learnt whilst working with the Scottish Fire and Rescue service i feel i would be able to use for the rest of my working life.
Pros
Good job benifits
Cons
Wages was not what I expected.
I spent a 30 year career as an operational Firefighter and found it to be a most rewarding profession. It was more than a job, it was a way of life with a great team to work with and for.
Typical day is 2.5 hours long attending call outs and training nights. I enjoy this job and gives me personal satisfaction. I learn a variety of new skills.