Screwfix

Screwfix Employee Reviews

Found 1,011 reviews matching the search
Featured review
Screwfix selected this as a representative review
Highly recommended place to work for anyone. There many opportunities within Screwfix, a great working environment and the pay is better than average.
18 March 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback, we really appreciate it!
A brilliant company to work for! Very flexible hours I was able to work here all throughout my GCSEs, A levels and Degree. Good salary and friendly staff!
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Customers can be rude
Very hard job.Is trade counters store delivery.Some people working 40 hours or less and some people 51 hours.Very unfair company.People which got 40 hours and less,they do distribution centres and Scotland,and unfavorite people which doing 51 h on week they do all the time stores.Please avoid!!!
Pros
Money
Cons
Not fairly at all
When I worked at Screwfix, management had very much an attitude of if they didn’t like your face ie you didn’t fit into their clique they would disregard and segregate you. I spent a lot of my time (as supervisor) being made to feel unwelcome and given the shifts nobody else wanted. If I disciplined staff that did not work I would receive discipline for doing so as it was someone management liked. A large item fell on me and hurt me a lot, I was told by the manager to deal with it and finish my shift.I found out a immediate family member was terminally ill, and was given a warning for onto giving the manager an hours notice (I could not predict the diagnosis) also made to feel guilty that they had to work extra due to this.
Pros
Absolutely zero
Cons
The people are not nice.
Overall awful place to work the management are lazy the hours are cr*p and just not safe at all was made to lift radiators that weighed more than me on my own and place them on second shelf management shared my personal information with the rest of the staff who worked there and people fired for the littlest things like having COVID test done just awful!
Pros
Cons
Literally everything
Sanitising is drummed into us however products are placed out the front for customers to handle. Social distancing is adhered to in front of customers however goes out the window when you cannot be seen. Management are lazy all they want to do is stand around the managers desk on their mobile phones, you ask for help and get no response. Sick of hearing management complain about how they haven't had any bonus to date. Asked to give feedback but if there is anything negative everyone is quizzed to find out who it was (supposed to be anonymous). Only concerned with sales and voc. If you are looking for a mind numbing minimum paid job then this is for you. Had amazing sales due to the pandemic but will staff see this in a decent pay rise this year I doubt it. Store has to much management on one day there was more management in than service assistants.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Lazy management/work life balance
Used to enjoy working for the company. Unfortunately it has become just another corporate enterprise where everyone is a number and they don’t like negative feedback. Unless you’re prepared to just tow the line. You’re expected to smile and get on with the job with no support or adequate training. If you mess up there’s no 2nd chances. I feel their handling over the past year has been terrible. So long as they make as much money as they can to get their bonuses, everything else is an after thought.
Pros
Adequate pay
Cons
No formal training, no support, poor support for mental health.
Over worked, underpaid, value the boxes over the people. Pile on the pressure until people quit, go off sick or just break. No reward or usable benefits.
Pros
Cons
No fair pay
I worked here for 3 years. The work is easy, but you’re on your feet all day and that might not suit everyone. You’ll learn so much about DIY, you just pick it up along the way! Your regular Tradies will bring the smile to your face when it’s slow and especially when it’s busy, they’re always willing to offer help and advice to other customers! Shift patterns are pretty set and generally you get your rota early. However, If you don’t fit in the workplace ‘click’, this could be your downfall! If you get offered Screwfix Live...DO IT! It’s really long hours but it’s so much fun, I’ll remember that for a lifetime. The pension scheme is actually really worth paying into and the benefits are definitely a great bonus. I was gutted to leave, but after 3 years of me always saying yes to ‘can you cover this shift’ and ‘can you stay late today’...when I needed one weeeknd off, it was accepted and then 4 days later denied due to lack of management communication. If you’re at uni or college this is a great job, my main manager genuinely really cared, he was like a dad, reminding me to revise etc and always bringing in donuts! I wouldn’t say this is a career for anyone who likes a challenge...the biggest challenge you might get is a DIY’er asking how to plumb a kitchen! Whenever I see screwfix regulars, they always want to chat and see how I am...honestly I met some amazing people during my time at screwfix.
Pros
2 breaks, 1 paid!
Cons
On your feet for a long time
Not given the tools to do the job. Took 6 weeks to get the full access to files that we were expected to access on a daily basis, by which time I had decided to leave. Left you doubting yourself really knocked my confidence. Then got asked to come to a meeting because they felt I wasnt managing which was only confirmed through whatsap!! Awful experience which cost me resigning from a job with nothing to go to. If you are a self respecting admin person avoid...
Pros
Nice building
Cons
Not given tools to do the basic of tasks, but still expected to perform. Awful experience.
Good place to work normally good team members very enjoyable day today shift start from 630am till 8:15pm normally 7 to 8 hour days shifts comprise of 16 hours 20 hours 24 hours and full time to get to full time you normally have to be management otherwise you are on hour our contracts
Pros
20% discount install and at B&Q
Cons
Just not enough hours okay if you’re a working mum or don’t need the money!
Like any part-time job, unfortunately, it’s going to take up you weekend. However, the salary and benefit are very good (once you reach 18). When you’re 16-17 you get paid roughly £6.50 an hour (which they don’t tell you on the advertisement) - you don’t get £9.12 until you hit 18 like me - and it’s worth the wait because the jump in monthly pay was huge. Me myself, I probably won’t become a supervisor or progress in my store, because I’ll be going off to university, however, I know a number of people who have been able to progress into managerial roles. The management are alright - they’re supportive, but, again, like any working place, the politics of the workplace can have a slight affect at times if you are strong-willed enough to disregard it. The job culture is quite important to me and it has pretty much fulfilled my expectations. It can be chilled out, hectic and a workout when having to lift the heavy stuff around. Sometimes, again, like any retail shop, you get customers that think they’re better than you in every way but you just have to disregard it. On the most part, a lot of the customers that come into my branch are actually lovely people and are up for a bit of a laugh.
Pros
Good pay (when 18)
Cons
When you take overtime they give it to you every week without asking if you can do it again
26 January 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, your feedback is really useful. If you have any suggestions for improvement please email us at reviews@screwfix.com
The job itself isn’t hard, all you have to do as a SA is serve customers and bring in and locate stock! That’s it depending where you work you get a decent wage! However, the managers are all up their own (as s) and some are really self obsessed and just yes men to their higher ups! With this pandemic the whole store hasn’t been following Covid guidelines and are just lax on the whole thing! Honestly if you want easy but stressful work for decent pay for a few months do it! If not don’t bother
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Long hours, repetitive, unsafe environment, don’t follow Covid guidelines, managers up own (as s)
26 January 2021
Thank you for leaving your review, we're sorry to hear your experience at didn't match your expectations, this definitely not what we strive for here at Screwfix. If you would like to discuss this further, please email reviews@screwfix.com
Some elements of the work are enjoyable, although tedious and repetitive. I found the training to be basic, based upon the requirements of the service assistant role; different experienced staff saying different things wrt how to do specific tasks. There are (limited) opportunities for advancement but only if the individual pushes themselves forwards. I along with other colleagues were NOT offered any advice or information about the company pension scheme. Since the March 2020 lock-down, additional safety measures and processes have been put in place but unfortunately seem to have "faded away" with compliance having gradually degraded over time. The general feeling seems to be that selling is more important than safety, a point emphasised in the daily briefing which repeatedly states "our number one priority is sales". Unfortunately there are too many instances when I do not feel entirely comfortable or safe, purely down to working practises, complacency and lack of compliance with correct processes. We are told to sanitise all returns which makes sense, but large numbers of customers walk in without using the sanitiser and proceed to handle items displayed for sale on the shop floor. Both the manager and assistant manager are approachable but offer only the party line when confronted with awkward questions, particularly regarding covid safety measures. There is little or no appetite at management level to make the store as safe as is practically possible, rather do enough to show compliance with government guidelines. There seems to be a fear for their own career progression - more...
Pros
Good team spirit, staff discount
Cons
lack of compliance with safety measures, uninspiring management
26 January 2021
Thank you for leaving your detailed feedback, this is really useful for us to look into. Our colleagues safety is our number one priority, so needless to say we strive for better. To allow us to look into this further, please email reviews@screwfix.com
Management are self centred and only consider themselves, you work like a slave to hit targets so that it reflects well on then. Favouritism in the workplace also, some are allowed to do as they please and the rest are left picking up the slack. Constant pressure to increase work output. Only good part about the job is the wage, seemingly easy work for a decent wage! would not recommend this position at all.
Pros
Good wage
Cons
Management, Constant Stress and Pressure
Not a good company to work for in the present environment . You are pretty much in the hands of your management team . Luckily I have a very good team. The company is very much money focussed .
Pros
Cons
Under a fair bit of pressure
26 January 2021
Thank you for leaving your review, we understand your frustrations. If you would like to discuss this further then please email us on reviews@screwfix.com
They will do anything to get rid of you. The treat you like a number and even after many loyal years they will do anything to get rid of you. Managers seem nice but overall absolute t**ts they care more about their end of year bonus than your work hours or needs.
Pros
Cons
Not treated fairly or equal.
26 January 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We're committed to creating an enjoyable and progressive work environment for everyone, so needless to say we're disappointed to hear about your experience. If you would like to discuss this further please email reviews@screwfix.com
Worst place you could ever choose to work in we work threw a pandemic n we don't evan get a thank you or a little bonus for over Christmas. The management are a complete joke to for them to get a bonus when we hit targets n us to get nothin in unfair
Managers think there little hitlers also they change them To often ... some don’t even know what they are doing ... just leave it to the staff ... can be a very depressing place to work also the women can be very bitchie and none co-operative
Pros
Cons
Wknds
26 January 2021
Thank you for leaving your feedback. We're concerned about your experience and would like the opportunity to investigate, please email reviews@screwfix.com if you're happy to discuss further.
Worked here a while ago now but it was a nice place to work most of the management were really friendly and helpful but a handful were totally useless which is normal for the size of the place and amount of staff. Worked in the shop face paced and busy most of the time but fun too met lots of interesting people all in all a good place to work.
Pros
No 2 days are the same.
Cons
The unhelpful managers
26 January 2021
Thank you very much for leaving your review. We're glad you enjoyed your time at Screwfix! If you have any suggestions for improvement please email reviews@screwfix.com
Fantastic group to work for have a great laugh with all members of staff and really good work life balance. Really good insensitives with is very rewarding for the staff different shift patterns which is great for planing ahead and extra hours come up if needed.
Pros
Great work life balance and real family feel
26 January 2021
Thank you for leaving your review, it's great to hear you're amazing feedback!
  1. Employee reviews