Screwfix
Happiness score is 51 out of 100

Screwfix Employee Reviews

Found 1,020 reviews matching the search
You can learn a lot at this job Great discount Good pension system Good rates of payWork uniform Fun place to work with good safety measures Good friends
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Early mornings
Was a fantastic job until two years ago when new management took over , completely ruined the place the whole place has gone to the dogs all because of one man from Liverpool , them who no will agree 100%
Pros
Good money
Cons
Long hrs and one mans arrogance
. Excellent working environment . Extra pay bank hols. Excellent working hours. Supportive staff and management, who are always happy to help and share their knowledge. . Great training . Fun place to work, everyone is always upbeat and ready to work.. You're always busy and productive.
Pros
Great managers and boss, amazing working environment and excellent hours.
Cons
Nothing.
Not much to say really, basicly the same as the other reviews. Management are huddled together all the time. If they don't like you for some your out quick! If your a bloke prepare to do delivery/warehouse work mainly.
Pros
Free boots, 20% discount
Cons
Very repeated work pattern
Supervisor role is something I wouldn't recommend to anyone. For a quid more your almost doing everything an assistant manager does plus everything a sales assistant does.The staff members was good and very welcoming and helpful.
Pros
Paid lunch
Cons
Long hours, excessive work, very dated software, unnecessary work load
Don't work here unless you're a robot and don't mind cleaning shelves everyday of the week even though its not your job role. The management also think people mission impossible through the roof to steal stuff.
Pros
You get to go home.
Cons
Everything else.
It's like Krypton factor - you spend your whole time jumping through hoops and frantically trying to answer all the questions and you think your doing well but then your foot slips and you end up with a face full of mud and you're sent right back to the beginning. Most frustrating job ever.
Pros
20% Discount
Cons
No respect for individual thought, require robots to work for them
As a part time member of staff, even if you work hard, you don’t get any recognition. Progression will never come your way, unless you can commit full time. With two young children, my line manager did do a lot for me and accommodate my hours. However, I consistently did the Trade supervisors job for them and got no pay or recognition for it. I did overtime whenever I could. Comments about “only being a part timer” from other senior members of staff. Pay is quite low for the amount of work required on a daily basis. Can be very busy and lots of heavy lifting.
Pros
Team can be supportive and fun.
Cons
No recognition.
Been working in Screwfix for almost 9 years, in our area we are one of the higher paid companies, the job isn't just serving at a till, there are many jobs in the warehouse to do and everyone learns all the jobs the main job is serve the customers then work round it to do the others, you are on your feet at all times except on a break or to go to the toilet, we have a decent management team but like every work place there is an element of if your face fits and usually it fits if you make the effort for it to do so. There is a wide range of age groups from 18 to 60s I would recommend working here its not going to suit everyone but worth a try.
Pros
20% discount at screwfix and B&Q
Cons
Early starts late finishes
12 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. It's great to hear you have had such a positive experience over your 9 years. If you have any further suggestions for improvement please do email us at reviews@screwfix.com
A brilliant company to work for! Very flexible hours I was able to work here all throughout my GCSEs, A levels and Degree. Good salary and friendly staff!
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Customers can be rude
12 March 2021
Thank you for leaving your review, we love to hear feedback like this!
Very hard job.Is trade counters store delivery.Some people working 40 hours or less and some people 51 hours.Very unfair company.People which got 40 hours and less,they do distribution centres and Scotland,and unfavorite people which doing 51 h on week they do all the time stores.Please avoid!!!
Pros
Money
Cons
Not fairly at all
When I worked at Screwfix, management had very much an attitude of if they didn’t like your face ie you didn’t fit into their clique they would disregard and segregate you. I spent a lot of my time (as supervisor) being made to feel unwelcome and given the shifts nobody else wanted. If I disciplined staff that did not work I would receive discipline for doing so as it was someone management liked. A large item fell on me and hurt me a lot, I was told by the manager to deal with it and finish my shift.I found out a immediate family member was terminally ill, and was given a warning for onto giving the manager an hours notice (I could not predict the diagnosis) also made to feel guilty that they had to work extra due to this.
Pros
Absolutely zero
Cons
The people are not nice.
12 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, however we are very concerned about your experience. This is something we would like to investigate further, are you able to send further details to the team on reviews@screwfix.com
Overall awful place to work the management are lazy the hours are cr*p and just not safe at all was made to lift radiators that weighed more than me on my own and place them on second shelf management shared my personal information with the rest of the staff who worked there and people fired for the littlest things like having COVID test done just awful!
Pros
Cons
Literally everything
12 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, we are very concerned to hear about your experience and would like the opportunity to investigate further. Please could you forward further details to reviews@screwfix.com
Sanitising is drummed into us however products are placed out the front for customers to handle. Social distancing is adhered to in front of customers however goes out the window when you cannot be seen. Management are lazy all they want to do is stand around the managers desk on their mobile phones, you ask for help and get no response. Sick of hearing management complain about how they haven't had any bonus to date. Asked to give feedback but if there is anything negative everyone is quizzed to find out who it was (supposed to be anonymous). Only concerned with sales and voc. If you are looking for a mind numbing minimum paid job then this is for you. Had amazing sales due to the pandemic but will staff see this in a decent pay rise this year I doubt it. Store has to much management on one day there was more management in than service assistants.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Lazy management/work life balance
12 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We're sorry to hear about your experience, this is certainly not what we strive for. If you would like to discuss this further then please email reviews@screwfix.com
Used to enjoy working for the company. Unfortunately it has become just another corporate enterprise where everyone is a number and they don’t like negative feedback. Unless you’re prepared to just tow the line. You’re expected to smile and get on with the job with no support or adequate training. If you mess up there’s no 2nd chances. I feel their handling over the past year has been terrible. So long as they make as much money as they can to get their bonuses, everything else is an after thought.
Pros
Adequate pay
Cons
No formal training, no support, poor support for mental health.
12 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, your feedback is really important to us. It goes without saying we are disappointed to hear about your experience and would like the opportunity to discuss further, if you'd like to get in touch please email reviews@screwfix.com
Over worked, underpaid, value the boxes over the people. Pile on the pressure until people quit, go off sick or just break. No reward or usable benefits.
Pros
Cons
No fair pay
I worked here for 3 years. The work is easy, but you’re on your feet all day and that might not suit everyone. You’ll learn so much about DIY, you just pick it up along the way! Your regular Tradies will bring the smile to your face when it’s slow and especially when it’s busy, they’re always willing to offer help and advice to other customers! Shift patterns are pretty set and generally you get your rota early. However, If you don’t fit in the workplace ‘click’, this could be your downfall! If you get offered Screwfix Live...DO IT! It’s really long hours but it’s so much fun, I’ll remember that for a lifetime. The pension scheme is actually really worth paying into and the benefits are definitely a great bonus. I was gutted to leave, but after 3 years of me always saying yes to ‘can you cover this shift’ and ‘can you stay late today’...when I needed one weeeknd off, it was accepted and then 4 days later denied due to lack of management communication. If you’re at uni or college this is a great job, my main manager genuinely really cared, he was like a dad, reminding me to revise etc and always bringing in donuts! I wouldn’t say this is a career for anyone who likes a challenge...the biggest challenge you might get is a DIY’er asking how to plumb a kitchen! Whenever I see screwfix regulars, they always want to chat and see how I am...honestly I met some amazing people during my time at screwfix.
Pros
2 breaks, 1 paid!
Cons
On your feet for a long time
12 March 2021
Thank you for leaving your review, we love to hear about your experience here at Screwfix and your feedback is really useful to us!
Not given the tools to do the job. Took 6 weeks to get the full access to files that we were expected to access on a daily basis, by which time I had decided to leave. Left you doubting yourself really knocked my confidence. Then got asked to come to a meeting because they felt I wasnt managing which was only confirmed through whatsap!! Awful experience which cost me resigning from a job with nothing to go to. If you are a self respecting admin person avoid...
Pros
Nice building
Cons
Not given tools to do the basic of tasks, but still expected to perform. Awful experience.
Good place to work normally good team members very enjoyable day today shift start from 630am till 8:15pm normally 7 to 8 hour days shifts comprise of 16 hours 20 hours 24 hours and full time to get to full time you normally have to be management otherwise you are on hour our contracts
Pros
20% discount install and at B&Q
Cons
Just not enough hours okay if you’re a working mum or don’t need the money!
12 March 2021
Thank you for leaving your review, your feedback is really appreciated!
Like any part-time job, unfortunately, it’s going to take up you weekend. However, the salary and benefit are very good (once you reach 18). When you’re 16-17 you get paid roughly £6.50 an hour (which they don’t tell you on the advertisement) - you don’t get £9.12 until you hit 18 like me - and it’s worth the wait because the jump in monthly pay was huge. Me myself, I probably won’t become a supervisor or progress in my store, because I’ll be going off to university, however, I know a number of people who have been able to progress into managerial roles. The management are alright - they’re supportive, but, again, like any working place, the politics of the workplace can have a slight affect at times if you are strong-willed enough to disregard it. The job culture is quite important to me and it has pretty much fulfilled my expectations. It can be chilled out, hectic and a workout when having to lift the heavy stuff around. Sometimes, again, like any retail shop, you get customers that think they’re better than you in every way but you just have to disregard it. On the most part, a lot of the customers that come into my branch are actually lovely people and are up for a bit of a laugh.
Pros
Good pay (when 18)
Cons
When you take overtime they give it to you every week without asking if you can do it again
26 January 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, your feedback is really useful. If you have any suggestions for improvement please email us at reviews@screwfix.com
The job itself isn’t hard, all you have to do as a SA is serve customers and bring in and locate stock! That’s it depending where you work you get a decent wage! However, the managers are all up their own (as s) and some are really self obsessed and just yes men to their higher ups! With this pandemic the whole store hasn’t been following Covid guidelines and are just lax on the whole thing! Honestly if you want easy but stressful work for decent pay for a few months do it! If not don’t bother
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Long hours, repetitive, unsafe environment, don’t follow Covid guidelines, managers up own (as s)
26 January 2021
Thank you for leaving your review, we're sorry to hear your experience at didn't match your expectations, this definitely not what we strive for here at Screwfix. If you would like to discuss this further, please email reviews@screwfix.com
  1. Employee reviews