SDL GROUP

SDL GROUP Employee Reviews

I started as a temp. Initially training was on the job but progressive. Team overhaul. No on going training given from that point. Experienced team members/management weren’t forward in sharing knowledge very protective over work. I was shown things once when I asked & left to get on with it. As far as I could see they had their favourite & they had the attention/training. There was no real management structure within the team not definitive process therefore no one providing direction as to what needs to be done on a daily basis so not very efficient nor productive ie customers being called numerous times a day by different members of staff. When I raised ideas about the process & system they were ignored - ‘that’s not the way we do things’ I was told once - yes but it could work out better. When I raised my personal work issues ie no training again ignored. When I raised that something the general public gets to see daily needs updating ignored again (3 months down the line I’m sure it still hasn’t been).
Pros
Free Lunches, some of the team, other teams.
Cons
No formal training, not treated equally, low pay
24 September 2020
Thank you for taking the let us know about your experience. We do care about our people and we have now put measures in place to gather feedback so that we can understand where we need to improve and make it better. It offers our colleagues the opportunity to give honest feedback anonymously. We also encourage our people to talk to their line managers and the people team to see how they can create opportunities to develop new skills and progress and build a personal development plan. We are sorry to hear your suggestions to improve processes weren’t listened to and that your experience at SDL Group wasn’t a positive one. Once again, thanks for taking the time to provide us with this feedback, and good luck for the future.
I worked in the auction team at SDL and it was the worst job I’ve ever had. Terrible atmosphere and backstabbing every day. The auction MD is so out of his depth, there is a running joke about what does he actually do? SDL are so obsessed with their competitors and they actually focus more on them than they do their own place. Then they drop staff and treat them as scapegoats when the company underperforms. Unless you are prepared to suck up, they will make you redundant
Pros
Free apples
Cons
Weak leadership and terrible culture
22 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to feedback your thoughts. We’re sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your time working with us. We do care about our people and have put measures in place to gather feedback from our people so that we can understand where we need to improve and make it better. It offers our colleagues the opportunity to give honest feedback anonymously. Any reduction in headcount is based purely on business requirements and not on individuals, we take any decisions about our people very seriously. Thanks again for letting us know how you feel, and we wish you well for your future.
Believe all of the negative reviews! The positive ones are fake!! These cowboys bought a great business in CPBigwood and completely destroyed it.. there are probably 5 people left from the original staff (over 200 when they bought it). The good staff were either sacked for not sucking up or have left to set up on their own! The main clients have all left too.. the place is a ticking time bomb! Morale of staff is so low, the management do not care about people, only care about money and it all starts with the arrogant CEO!
Pros
Weekends
Cons
Really poor management structure and the worst atmosphere you could work in
5 August 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we are sorry to hear your experience at SDL Group wasn’t a positive one. We do care about our people and have put measures in place to gather feedback from our people so that we can understand where we need to improve and make it better. It offers our colleagues the opportunity to give honest feedback anonymously. Any reduction in headcount is based purely on business requirements and not on individuals, we take any decisions about our people very seriously. Once again, thanks for taking the time to provide us with this feedback, and good luck for the future.
Do not think about applying for a job here unless you are willing to have an affair with one of the members of the board! Toxic atmosphere, lots of backstabbing and redundancies almost everyday.. the only people that are kept on are the men who brown nose or are personal friends of someone on the board or the women that are morally low enough to have affairs with sleepy men on the board! Disgraceful
Pros
Being made redundant
Cons
Sleazy board, horrible atmosphere, good people sacked
5 August 2020
Thanks for your feedback and we are sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your time working with us. We, of course, would like everyone here to have a positive experience when working with us. Any reduction in headcount is based purely on business requirements and not on individuals, we take any decisions about our people very seriously. Once again, thanks for taking the time to provide us with this feedback, and good luck for the future.
SDL were a great company to work for, their only downfall being the redundancy procedure and apparent frequency of such events. There were two lots of redundancies in the 5 months I worked there
SDL is a fun place to work where no 2 days are the same. Its a challenging but rewarding environment to work within. Day to day operations include picking orders for professional cricket clubs and universities. The employees are a fun bunch to work with. With the right mindset, you can progress through the ranks and gain more responsibility like managing a small team which i currently do.
Monday-Friday, 9-5, in-bound calls and E-Mail queries. Everyday is different, with different types of customers and queries. The working atmosphere is quite relaxed.
Awful awful awful There are no other words just awful Not a favourite not the place for u Dead end zero progression No assistance to new mothers and shifts Just awful
It’s a good company with amazing benefits - free lunch, fitness classes and also lots of fun charity events! The workload is high but the salary and bonus’ along with work perks make up for it. Work life balance is also good as you’re never made to stay but have the option of overtime if needed.
Pros
Free lunch and relaxed environment
Cons
Parking can be a pain as you block people in
There is no real reason to work at SDL. Unless you want to be paid poorly, overworked and eventually laid off. Despite the average wage for Accounts Payable and Credit Control being at least 18K, they're insistent that 15.500 is fair. They never listened to repeat demands for pay rises either. This may sound facile to some, but they're paying minimum wage standard, as opposed to rival companies who begin with 18K. For reference, you could get part time work at Sainsbury's, Tesco etc. and still earn more than what SDL could offer. There is no career progession either. Unless you're a friend/relative of someone higher up, do not expect to progress up the company ladder. The office culture is relative to that of secondary school; time and time again there has been turnover because certain individuals refused to put in the time to train newer employees. The reasons boil down to difference in music taste, films etc. Bear in mind, this is a work environment, yet such trivialities are treated with more weight than the actual work. Every day, I was dealing with customers who were upset with the company. It's absolutely disgusting how SDL prioritise profits over customer care. Not to mention, contractors were being sent to do works with no guarantee of payment. As one of the other reviewers states, there is a high staff turnover. Employees who have been at the company back in its CP Bigwood days have been made redundant with an alarming frequency. Honestly, the worst part is the company credo: A great place to work. Because it isn't. The executives saunter in, big - more...
Pros
Free fruit... I guess?
Cons
Everything stated in my review.
SDL is a growing company and there is always room for you to grow. you are learning everyday and everyday is different. you'll make plenty of friends and everyone is nice and friendly
Nice people and a lot going on, free lunch, free exercise classes run by a personal trainer, free fruit/coffees etc....lots of different events to enjoy
Pros
free stuff
Cons
busy car park
Lovely people to work with. Everyone gets along great and are very pro active!! Helpful..considerate and very loyal staff! All work within a team built environment.
Overall the SDL GROUP was a pleasant environment to work in and my colleagues were all ok but the problem experienced was the lack of career opportunities,
Pros
Company bonus and perks
Cons
Lack of career progression
5 August 2020
Thanks for your feedback and we are sorry to hear you haven’t had the opportunity to progress. We are aware that this is important to our people. We now advertise all roles internally first as we want our people to have the opportunity to build their careers. We also encourage our people to talk to their line managers and the people team to see how they can create opportunities to develop new skills and progress and build a personal development plan.Once again, thanks for taking the time to provide us with this feedback, and good luck for the future.
My typical day consists of organising the staff around 4 different departments in their daily roles, making sure that orders are completed for dispatching that day, making sure that company software (SAP) is up to date with ongoing orders, liaising for the despatch team for daily company deliveries & making sure daily drop offs for couriers & hauliers to collect outbound consignments. I have enhanced my skill-sets from new computer software & operations which I didn't have before in past leading job roles, new roles within the company that I have tailored to enhance what i have now and become more proficient in my daily roles & workloads. My position was at times a lonely position in a recession cutback times, with staff being cut back I had to apply many roles I have learned in my working history to this company to make sure it was a workable environment. The hardest part of this employment was dealing with all the different personalities of the staff, dealing with personal issues with the staff and making sure we found a common ground and solutions. The most enjoyable part of this employment is that I have leaving this company in a better position than before, I re-tuned the workforce to enhance production, I have saved the company of £1000's in external storage, I have made a long lasting blueprint in which procedures are followed and making it a more of a sustainable environment to work in.