Selby Jennings

Selby Jennings Employee Reviews in New York, NY

Selby Jennings was a great place to advance my career

I left Selby Jennings as I needed to relocate with my partner, but the time I spent with the company was absolutely a positive experience. I was pushed and challenged but I learned more about myself and how to build my own personal brand and business, as a part of a whole, than anywhere I had worked previously. It is not a job for everyone, but for those who embrace the environment and culture you can 100% be successful and make really good money here. Also, the people are awesome.

Pros

People, Culture, Compensation, Time Off, Progression & Career Growth

Cons

Hours can be long if you want to really succeed

High Pressure, High Reward

If you are content with earning $80k a year and working 9-5, then this is not the right place for you. If you are okay with grinding a bit harder and making $130k-$160k or even more, then this is where you should be. This probably won't happen in your first year, but is a very real possibility in your second or third. I have seen some people make $100k+ in their first year, although it is not common. Any sales job comes with pressure/stress and long hours, including this one. A lot of the negative reviews are harping on this aspect of the business, but if you don't like these things, then you should not be at a recruitment agency or doing sales. We actually work less hours than most other recruitment firms. We also recently put a flexible working hour policy in place which lets individuals that have shown success within the business leave up to an hour earlier than our normal hours. I've had a positive experience with management - being taught everything from the ground up from day one, being pushed and motivated to work harder and better. From an opportunity standpoint, this is one of the most meritocratic environments ever. It doesn't matter what your ethnic, academic, or prior work background is. The top performers are the ones who get the opportunities for advancement first and it's all about the money you bring in - there is a leaderboard that everyone has access to which makes it pretty crystal clear who is doing well. There are 25 and 26-year-olds that are managing teams of 5+ individuals, some even at 10+. This is not common at most companies and this is why -

Pros

high earnings potential, great people to work with, fun incentives, not a corporate environment

Cons

pressure to perform

Sales job

Its a very high pressured place to work. You work 11 hours a day and its a very sales driven environment. You have a manager that is supposed to help you with everything you need but sometimes they just put themselves first. Its a nice culture to be around other young college graduates but sometimes its too much like a frat house and can be very immature

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Selby Jennings. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2

3.8Job security/advancement
  • Selby Jennings
  • New York, NY
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?