Selfridges
Happiness score is 64 out of 100

Selfridges Employee Reviews

United Kingdom476 reviews

Excellent experience but DO NOT work here if you want to be paid fairly for your work

Really enjoyed my time here, atmosphere was very relaxed, if your a people person with a good work ethic, you will get a lot out of it, especially once you look back after moving onto pastures new. Day to day, I managed the supply chain and the customer service for shop floor employees (the majority are students and cant wait to leave, so they more often than not cut corners). There's next to no communication between the cross functional teams, and considering my length of service and effort that I put in, my salary was absolutely embarrassing and the main reason why I left. Discount/holidays are very good but all that materialistic stuff pales into insignificance if your not valued, especially if you bring a very broad and experienced skill set. My advice, stay maybe a year or two, but don't stagnate here like I did, expecting senior management to understand what's going on, they just stroll around, have a few meetings and collect their underserved salaries, whilst the rest of us are on the front line. The company make money from their name and the brands they sell, but if the new owners had done a shop floor walk I can imagine they'd have asked for £1billion to be taken of the £4 they supposedly paid.All in all I look back with fond memories, I lived a healthy work life balance, onwards and upwards!

A big yellow mess

It is nice to work in big yellow company for a short period of time. However, managers do not appreciate hard working people, use them when they need: during sales period. Managers have their "favourites" and only progress them. Coworkers gossip all the time. This place will make you anxious and depressed.

Insights into Selfridges

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Relaxed, fun environment

I was a stock assistant.. a typical day would be arranging items on shelves and checking if they needed to be restocked, as well as helping at the tills and serving customers. Its extremely chill, like sometimes you feel like your getting paid for nothing. The hardest part of the job would be meeting managers expectations, and dealing with complacent staff. Sometimes staff would pretend to work and you would get the blame for it. The most enjoyable part is meeting the celebrities that walk into the store.

Pros

good pay, quite flexible, decent management

Cons

staff can be complacent, unrealistic management expectations

Unfulfilling but good discount

It's retail so it's never going to be great, but jheez if this place isn't soul crushingly boring sometimes...Discount is decent but no sick pay for your first 3months- this included covid isolation time, even when it was a legal requirement.Managers do not want you to succeed, if you ever want to move floors/departments you'll be trying for years. Better off just leaving the company and applying externally. Expect to be chasing them up every week asking for your rota. They expect work to be your whole life and won't have much regard for other commitments.

I had a fun experience working here. I loved my team and my managers were nice. The pay was also good for the job i was doing.

I was a store host so my job was simply standing at the door and customers used to ask me about products. I really enjoyed my 3 months working there and i don't really have any negatives.

Goood

It was decent but it is repetitive and you don’t really have a lot of food options for lunch breaks however managers are good and it is a good place to work part-time

Secure job, good values and collaborative

Progression is difficult as there is no step by step progression plan. As a company however, great benefits, great team, and a relaxed environment.lots of additional activities.

Absolutely awful.

Worked at a concession brand here for 6 months and spent more time telling people where the toilets were than actually doing anything fulfilling. Other brand workers would constantly disappear, meaning I would have to help (rude) customers with brands that I didn't know about, but when I needed help with anything, members of staff would snub me and be incredibly unhelpful. Aside from the people, the whole shop is way too warm, bright and loud, and incredibly anxiety-inducing. We would even have complaints from customers about the unpleasant atmosphere. The most pleasant part of the job was definitely leaving after the shift!

Pros

Leaving

Cons

Unfulfilling, unfriendly, no discount for concessions, poorly signposted so customers would be constantly asking our brand where things were, rude staff who looked down on us, zero perks for staff, rules which changed daily and which we weren't informed about

Neither good nor bad

Selfridges is generally a nice working environment, with staff discounts and occasional events. But the pay is low, there isn't much room for personal growth, also the work environment depends on whether you have a conflict of interest with your colleagues.

No opportunity

I worked 8 years for selfridges it’s always been hard and treated horribly by managers in the accessories. Many staffs won’t stay for long. Managers have their favourites. I’m as foreigner won’t have the opportunity to growth.

Very good for progressing inside. Nice people and good discounts. Very busy and interactive environment. Fast pace, interesting and fashionable place.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Late shifts, weekends

Fun workplace and learned a lot

Worked in the Food Market during the Christmas period as a temp. The pay was great and the hours were what I could work, no pressure to work days I couldn't unlike other establishments. Management was nice and coworkers were also really nice and easy to feel comfortable around. Would recommend working in the Food Market on the 1st floor for sure, it's not as competitive as the upper floors I heard.

Pros

Nice atmosphere, lunch break when doing long shift, great coworkers

A fun workplace

Easy to adapt to the role. Work environment was easy and relaxed. It’s a more of a social place as you won’t have too much to do at work, and making good relationship with workmates can be more important than work itself. Be wise.

Pros

Paid maternity leave

Cons

Requires a lot of flexibility

Loved working here although the hours can be long , the staff and team make it a friendly place to work also the discount was a positive bonus

great store to work, and many different brands and areas to choose to work inthe management were motivating and was a good store to learn all aspects of retail

Pros

busy and friendly people

Cons

Good for discount and salary but hard working

It good place for culture and progression, salary is good too and you get commission money plus good holiday allowance, work life balance can be tough. Long hours as well

Pros

Lunch is expensive in the canteen

Cons

Discount

I enjoy it but not many staff benefits

It was a good company to work for but not many staff discounts or benefits. The management are very uptight and rude to sales assistants and staff talking down on them, but nice to other management. .

Fast paced working environment

Bias management and limit chances of promotion. Will not dig deep into this company unless u are desperately looking for job.It was historical building and ask you to begin a excellent story teller

It’s a good job if you need money and have no experience

Be prepared for long hours on your feet, decent discounts after probation. Management when I worked there was awful super condescending and uptight keep your head down and don’t interact too much and you’ll be fine. Commission is good if you can make the sales.

Pros

Decent discount, decent holiday, benefits

Cons

Long hours, annoying shift patterns, management and in house drama

Welcome to the yellow prison

It’s horrible , they call it the yellow prison. There s no privacy at all, I see people eating in the toilet or changing room. It s all big and sharing. If you work on the shopfloor get ready to be in a stressful place with tiny back of house that you can barely pass between your collagues.If you do work for stockroom get ready to freeze you are going to be in a basement -2 floor.Only to go on lunch on your break for a cigarette you have to go through check in security and a lot of doors and tapping and scanning and lifts which took from your break already 10 minutes. No work-life balance shifts are so wrong, closing hour are so late.

Pros

Discounts very low compared the luxurious and costs of goods

Cons

Fast past but very rewarding

I worked for Selfridges for 22 years, I found it a good place to work with a good management team and rewarding benefits. It’s a place if you are fortunate enough to get a job with them you will be likely to stay for a long period of time

Pros

Everyone on all the departments are very friendly and a great place to work, a good team spirit throughout the store

Cons

Could pay a little better but I suppose you could say the same wherever you work

Staff are not cared for

I definitely feel that you need to be a certain type of character to enjoy working at Selfridges. It is very clique-y with a feeling of constantly being judged. A lot of the long-term staff are rude with little patience or desire to assist others. The staff who look like they are enjoying themselves get no work done and are dismissive of customers. The staff toilets (for men at least) were disgusting! With 4/5 cubicles and urinals consistently out of order and flies buzzing about the toilets. As much as the customers toilets are pristine, the staff facilities feel like servants quarters. There was always some issue with lifts to the staff canteen and escalators. Management too act as if they are superior to everyone else and a lot get away with doing absolutely nothing, delegating all the work to their staff with little to no consequences. It’s essentially a doss if you’re in the right crew, but miserable and stressful if you’re not part of this self proclaimed “elite”. All staff should be treated equally with the amount of work that we do and plug into the business.

Pros

There is the possibility to chill and chat literally all day.

Cons

Staff facilities are atrocious, and management have their favourites who can get away with murder. Also, as many people have noted, a rather toxic and unpleasant work environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Selfridges. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Selfridges with

• Selfridges
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?