Sellafield Ltd

3.9Job security & advancement

Insights into Sellafield Ltd

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

job satiafaction

no pressure get on and get the job completed ,you are not allowed to talk to much about your job for security reasons therefore i am unable to write about my position

Stagnant organisation

The purpose of Sellafield is to safely process the legacy of nuclear waste produced in the UK and shut down. It is a shrinking organisation with no plan, desire or government mission to expand or diversify. Having said that, it can provide a relatively secure work place for the next few generations of workers.

Pros

Can't close down as it's government backed and needed.

Cons

Limited opportunities.

Not a place to work for those who like to stay active

Long hours not alot of work to be done becomes very boring . Great work colleagues management not much help job security always at a risk due to been contracted

Great Workplace

As an apprentice I was trained in all company policies and procedures as well as gaining training to use all of the computer programs associated with my role.

Excellent

Company has excellent reputation, and competive salary benefits. The conpany offers training, flexible and part time working. Employs over 10.000 people

Great company

Worked here for 4 years. The salary is good and the prospects for advancement are high. I enjoy the work/life balance the salary affords me and my family.

Good place bad times

Sellafield is a slow and bureaucratic place, but this is due to the high hazard nature of a lot of the work. It's nice to be involved in big, interesting problems. The company does pour a lot of money into training and development, but the culture is such that it can be hard to put it into practice or try doing things in new or different ways. I think it is a good launchpad for an early career, but the new terms and conditions are not so competitive so it would probably be best to leave after a couple of years. Sellafield is a very big place, so it's hard to give a general description of the culture. Essentially, employees can be divided into those who do nothing, and those who do far too much. The hardest part of the job is jumping through all of the hurdles which turn things you would never even consider outside of the nuclear industry into very big time-consuming problems, like bringing people onto site is a multi-day problem. Most jobs and paperwork require buy-in and signatures from many stakeholders so you have to persuade a lot of people before getting anything done. It can be very frustrating and demoralizing. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting involved in some very large and unique problems at a large and unique site. If you cannot tell a few good stories (nothing sensitive!) to your friends and family every month you are probably not getting as involved as you should. As Operations end and the company pivots toward decommissioning, terms and conditions are being eroded and there will be many excess staff, so it is hard to know if Sellafield -

alright

working here is ok, good salary and excellent benefits. Visibility of work is poor and job satisfaction is low occasionally with company wide struggle to motivate through lack of ownership. Could be due to company size.

Pros

good benefits

Cons

silo mentality within business

The job was interesting, and comprised a Health and Safety cukture second to none.

Enjoyed my 32 years at Sellafield, but decided if I did not move when I did I would still be in Cumbria today. Retirement was not for me, I still have something to offer in any workplace.

Pros

Continental shifts were great

Cons

12 hour shifts were voted in . Did not like these.

Extremely good pay but very limited progression

A Great company to work for if you have had your feet under the desk for 10+ years however all newer members of staff will struggle to gain any form of real progression

Fleible schedules and super friendly staff

Everyone there seemed to enjoy it and I don't know of anyone leaving other than retiring. Some younger staff got placed on projects they didn't enjoy although that was only because that plant was near enough fully decommisioned. Really friendly culture, anyone will help you any day. Most the staff are old, the average age there is around 10 years older than other places I've seen. Safety is number one in absoluetly everything they do, you cannot even use the stairs without getting dirty looks if you don't hold the handraillings. The single reason I left it was becuase of the location being far away from my hobbies.

Excellent place to work

Good for development and excellent colleagues. Lots of rules and regulations and red tape which hinders many pieces of work but this is the way the nuclear industry has to be!

Interesting project

Fascinating project. Working in a multi disciplined team with professional people. Good location and facilities. Opportunities to learn new skills.

poor management

poor management and organisation on my first day i was left alone in a dead office with nothing to do. I was then moved about from sector to sector with no real allocated member of staff and the days dragged as hardly no training or work today, not for the want of asking mind. I was then told that they did not really need me as a sector had changed there mind just after they had given me the job so was just a waste of time. people are like robots here not a happy or good place to work

Pros

free parking

Cons

everything

Great place to work, all staff are well paid. There is lots of training and development available for those that want to progress. Great opportunities for progression.

Stagnant and Depressive workplace.

Although working as an apprentice, I saw allot of time wasted particularly when information needed to travel between departments for various comments or changed. The environment is that of workers believing they are on 10 year, with no fear of job loss and thus no motivation to progress work. Work days felt dragged out as most of an employees time was spent waiting on responses from other people or departments.

Pros

Good wage, good employment bonuses

Cons

Depressing, stagnant.

Great work/life balance

Great people, good benefits, fantastic work/life balance. Bureaucracy can make getting things done difficult but satisfying when success is delivered.

Great work place.

Fantastic work experience opertunity and I came away with a lot more knoledge and experience that I can pass onto future working life. I would recommend.

Pros

Great experience

Cons

Didn’t actually work as a employee

Nice people to work with

I enjoyed my time there and was disappointed when my contact ended. Most of the people I came across were very helpful and keen to help if needed. I was surprised at how big of an area Sellafield covers. the main focus from everyone is very much the safety of the workers and the people of Cumbria

Pros

helpful friendly people

Cons

unless you are staff there is very little progression for Agency and Contractors

Job Security and Management

Brilliant company to work for. Been there since 2013 started off as a Business Administration apprentice and gained a Level 3 NVQ qualification, the support from the work force was amazing. Lovely staff and so many opportunities.

Good work/life balance

A place with a very strong culture, good work/life balance and job security. I have learn a lot on safety and security, how to apply these to working life. A bit of resilience have also been applied to my experience here too.

Pros

Good worklife balance

Cons

A few round pegs in sqaure holes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sellafield Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3
  • Sellafield Ltd
  • Job security & advancement
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?