Sellafield Ltd

4.3Pay & benefits

Insights into Sellafield Ltd

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Excellent

Company has excellent reputation, and competive salary benefits. The conpany offers training, flexible and part time working. Employs over 10.000 people

One team member makes life brutal

..... As a contractor working for Sellafield you are not recognised nor supported in the work you provide. You tend to be lost and abused but only paid for set hours although expected to work longer and be more productive than your permanent colleagues who in most instances you train. Your management do no support nor are available and as a contractor you are made to feel humble when you are not paid on time but challenge. Management are brutal

Pros

Alliances with other teams you support and work with

Cons

No support-from within your own team, “ work harder; produce more; work longer! You are not entitled to training to help you in the role

Not a place to work for those who like to stay active

Long hours not alot of work to be done becomes very boring . Great work colleagues management not much help job security always at a risk due to been contracted

Great company

Worked here for 4 years. The salary is good and the prospects for advancement are high. I enjoy the work/life balance the salary affords me and my family.

Good place bad times

Sellafield is a slow and bureaucratic place, but this is due to the high hazard nature of a lot of the work. It's nice to be involved in big, interesting problems. The company does pour a lot of money into training and development, but the culture is such that it can be hard to put it into practice or try doing things in new or different ways. I think it is a good launchpad for an early career, but the new terms and conditions are not so competitive so it would probably be best to leave after a couple of years. Sellafield is a very big place, so it's hard to give a general description of the culture. Essentially, employees can be divided into those who do nothing, and those who do far too much. The hardest part of the job is jumping through all of the hurdles which turn things you would never even consider outside of the nuclear industry into very big time-consuming problems, like bringing people onto site is a multi-day problem. Most jobs and paperwork require buy-in and signatures from many stakeholders so you have to persuade a lot of people before getting anything done. It can be very frustrating and demoralizing. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting involved in some very large and unique problems at a large and unique site. If you cannot tell a few good stories (nothing sensitive!) to your friends and family every month you are probably not getting as involved as you should. As Operations end and the company pivots toward decommissioning, terms and conditions are being eroded and there will be many excess staff, so it is hard to know if Sellafield -

alright

working here is ok, good salary and excellent benefits. Visibility of work is poor and job satisfaction is low occasionally with company wide struggle to motivate through lack of ownership. Could be due to company size.

Pros

good benefits

Cons

silo mentality within business

The job was interesting, and comprised a Health and Safety cukture second to none.

Enjoyed my 32 years at Sellafield, but decided if I did not move when I did I would still be in Cumbria today. Retirement was not for me, I still have something to offer in any workplace.

Pros

Continental shifts were great

Cons

12 hour shifts were voted in . Did not like these.

Extremely good pay but very limited progression

A Great company to work for if you have had your feet under the desk for 10+ years however all newer members of staff will struggle to gain any form of real progression

Fleible schedules and super friendly staff

Everyone there seemed to enjoy it and I don't know of anyone leaving other than retiring. Some younger staff got placed on projects they didn't enjoy although that was only because that plant was near enough fully decommisioned. Really friendly culture, anyone will help you any day. Most the staff are old, the average age there is around 10 years older than other places I've seen. Safety is number one in absoluetly everything they do, you cannot even use the stairs without getting dirty looks if you don't hold the handraillings. The single reason I left it was becuase of the location being far away from my hobbies.

Excellent place to work

Good for development and excellent colleagues. Lots of rules and regulations and red tape which hinders many pieces of work but this is the way the nuclear industry has to be!

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Sellafield Ltd?

Great place to work, all staff are well paid. There is lots of training and development available for those that want to progress. Great opportunities for progression.

Great work/life balance

Great people, good benefits, fantastic work/life balance. Bureaucracy can make getting things done difficult but satisfying when success is delivered.

Good work/life balance

A place with a very strong culture, good work/life balance and job security. I have learn a lot on safety and security, how to apply these to working life. A bit of resilience have also been applied to my experience here too.

Pros

Good worklife balance

Cons

A few round pegs in sqaure holes

Challenging yet rewarding

It was a challenging place to work , yet rewarding. I feel i developed many important skills in my time there. There are many blockers at Sellafield however this is due to the nature of Nuclear work

Going through major change

Great company to work for. Job security in Safety side of the business is unbeatable with an ageing demographic and also legal requirement to manage and assess safety, both now and in the future until the site is cleared. The work is sometimes slow and bureaucratic given the old school approach and requirement to get a signature for everything. It is changing though and with a younger workforce is coming new ways of working and a much more efficient place to work. If you can sit through a few years of nothingness in your early career you'll reap the rewards given the twenty somethings are the future senior managers. Pay, bonus and holidays are great and better than most similar companies.

Pros

Plenty of development opportunities, cutting edge work and an ageing workforce meaning definitive future jobs

Cons

Bureaucratic and can have days of doing very little.

Great company to work for

Fantastic company to work for with outstanding opportunities, support and benefits. However the industry is very slow paced and riddled with bureaucracy.

Good atmosphere and employee benefits packages

Good team to work with, interesting work, but due to the size it suffers from a sow pace. Project Management has been interesting to me, and the challenges faced in nuclear decommissioning of legacy waste.

This is a very good company to work for very interesting work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sellafield Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9Job security/advancement
  • Sellafield Ltd
  • Work-life balance
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?