Serco Group

United Kingdom1,150 reviews

Found 1,150 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,237 reviews
centrecolleagueprogressionwhilstprisonerqueryrolepattern

Good.

Good company. Some hard contacts. Found management tricky but understanding. Overall a strong company. Definitely live values which you rarely see these days. Recruitment are terrible though.

Best job I’ve ever had so far

I worked at the COVID-19 Test Site during the pandemic as had recently lost my job.4 on 4 off shifts, amazing colleagues to work with (most of them).I worked outside which I really enjoyed. Sure you’ll get rainy and cold days but at the same time you’ll get hot and sunny days.Honestly it was very easy and relaxing for the most part. It’s the only job I’ve had so far that I didn’t mind getting up in the morning for or dreading it the day before.Friends I’ve made there for life and the amount of laughs I’ve had will stay in my memory forever.A few cons: Management favouritism, unfair promotions and dodgy rules.

Pros

4 on 4 off rota, working outdoors, central location, good colleagues, good experience, rewarding job

Cons

Non consistent rules between all staff, lack of progression, favouritism, unfair dismissal.

Insights into Serco Group

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

The most impractical, disorganized and unaddapted training program I have ever seen.

SERCO is the kind of company who's expending each year in...pretty much all the Facilities sectors. I had the unpleasant experience in taking part for a few days in their joiner programme. Never encountered a business that goes like...doesn't matter what you know, what you've done and ultimately what you are. We'll delete or disconsider anything and we'll give you the basics in order to work for us. It's like a tin can factory....reconfigured after SERCO measurements. Unbelievable low and with poor trainers. Disappointing!

Pros

Free coffee and tea on site

Cons

Unstructured, outdated and ultimately inconsiderate towards experienced and already better skilled professionals.

Good company to work for

Good company. Can involve long hours when in certain roles but overall a strong understanding of work life balance. Management is good but this is not always the case for everybody.

Hotel accommodation

Extensive culture of bullying in the accommodation of asylum seekers. No structure from management. No support. Tendency to punish those who highlight issues that need addressing they would much rather pretend everything is fine rather than deal with what can be life and death issues

Toxic

Low pay,low moral inadequate management. A revolving door of staff some leaving before end of training(1or 2 days in). The training itself is poor and usually irrelevant to the actual job. Staff treated poorly and lack of support. Very stressful work. Constant targets to achieve that are mostly unachievable.

Cons

The worst work environment I have been in.

Puts you at risk mentally, physically and emotionally. Appalling staff behaviour, no support from the company and a high level of cooperate paranoia that means you are being electronically watched all the time, questioned about everything and made to feel like you are less than trustworthy or loyal, even though you are asked to give up weeks of your life for training and then all of your life when you start actively working for them. The worst work environment I have been in.Constantly underpaid employees then took their time to correct the mistake and took over 5 months to be able to get annual leave because of an appalling HR system.

Pros

There honestly weren't any

Cons

Long hours, poor pay, mislead by the company about job description, verbally abusive staff, ext

Dont work there

Nice work colleagues , poor Management low pay, not accepting students for part time jobs, hr no comments, met a few good managers but serco on its own its a bad company to work for.

Inefficiency

Poorly run, trying to be a Prison which it clearly isn’t.Pay not conducive to your working conditions and no work life balance.Staff like to sit in the office and chat rather than work and poor support from most of the SMT.

Bad company to work for

Rubbish firm to work for they wanted more than there pound of flesh at poor money had to work 12 hours a day to make a living. Rubbish firm to work for.

Loved working here

Servo gave me a chance with little experience and helped me progress to gain my experience and supported me throughout, great place to work and colleagues were lovely

Recruitment lie from the start

You're told from recruitment an 8-5 job with some earlies, however the hours are start at 6am with no finish time so on average you're working 12-14 hours a day. Lates start at around 1pm which you'll struggle to make you're hours unless you have a long run which could result in being back the following day. The 5.5 week initial training course was amazing and very insightful, setting you up for the job in which you're excited to start as its all extremely rewarding and interesting. Then when you get to your vehicle base and are told the hours are completely different you end up deflated and may aswell say goodbye to your social life. Vetting is a huge issue too as it could take a few weeks to pass which is ideal so you can get stuck in fairly quick, or it can take months so you'll be stuck at the vehicle base or court doing very little. They are losing good , keen, capable staff due to the lack of truth and communication unfortunately.

Falsely advertised jobs

You have to complete 5weeks of training and do a fitness test which involves learning the hand skills and techniques of the job and also do a first aid

Pros

Free hotel stay and all expenses paid

Cons

Low wages for the job

decent job

work life balance is poor, great people you work with. money is not great. can have heavy days and light days. work weekends, start at 6am but no finish time.

Interesting place to be.

Love the job and the difference you can make in peoples lives, the staff on the other hand are mostly bullies or people that just get off on giving you a hard time.

Stressful and demanding

Initial training was comical for the wrong reason. The smart cards used to access the computers were not ready, so we had no first hand experience.We were thrown in at the deep end and expected to swim. There is little incentive to do a good job, other than helping the claimant, who is finally at the mercy of the case manager. Work environment is fairly stressful.No one bothers you until you make a mistake, which is inevitable, then quality control will send you an email detailing what mistakes you have made.The agents are constantly monitored by team leaders.Lunch breaks, toilet breaks, after call and time spent talking to claimants are recorded, then sent back to you in daily and weekly metrics. Big brother is most definitely watchingThe money is slightly above minimum wage at £10.18 an hour, which doesn't provide an incentive to do a good job. Taking days off, going home early and getting some experience in customer service are the only positive aspects in an otherwise uninspiring workplace

Pros

Going home and work experience

Cons

Everything else

Poor management, just do your job. They do not care about your safety at work.

In the beginning, it was nice, easy. But when the equipment at the canteen was broken it was very hard and stressful ( you have to run up and down from the buffet, carrying a heavy tray of food. The maintenance came 4 times and they do not sort out the problem to make the job easier.No teamwork at all, nobody helps each other.Health and Safety procedures are very superficial. You do not feel safe at all.

Awful

Awful poor management ….. i had three supervisors who all told me different procedures….. Their work ethic and cleanliness is shocking not sure how they got to service a hospital

Easy pace

Not for everybody especially working in prison like environment, good team member and a lot of training before working in the wings. Ten members support each other

Pros

Lots of Training

Cons

Prison environment

Excellent

Excellent place to work really supportive and recognised for work completed. There is no micro management feel really trusted. I would definitely recommend

Shockingly bad do not work as a housing officer with this money making group of gangsters.

Unprofessional No correct procedures in place Dangerous They do not protect staffThey are only interested in the bottom line.Tear staff and service users like cattle

Pros

Horrible food

Cons

Long hours under staffed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Serco Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement