Serendipity Healthcare logo
Serendipity Healthcare

Serendipity Healthcare Employee Reviews

United Kingdom37 reviews

very nice company.

My typical day at work would be looking after residents meeting their needs. What i have learnt working for this company is definitely it has opened my eyes as i haven't done this kind of job before and didn't at first know what it entailed but when i had been their a few months i definitely gained a lot of patience and self confidence and started to have a lot more time for people and to be able to understand the life and needs of a resident. the management is great at the main office but i would definitely have to say the support from team leaders and care co-ordinators isn't that great at all and feels sometimes their working against you rather than with you and sometimes do make you feel even though you work a lot of hours and shifts sometimes makes you feel you don't do enough. the hardest part of the job is trying not to get to much of a personal bond with the residents as their all very lovely kind people and its very hard not to get attached to this as it can be very hard and upsetting if anything happens. the best part of my job is definitely having the bond i do with the residents and the staff is what makes the job most enjoyable and thats what keeps me going day to day.

Do not Apply

Hours are stupid. Paid contact time. Not paid if you go over time. Carers are amazing. Great to work with. Hours are long, and fuel pay does not add up. Not paid from home to first calls or last call to home. Even if it's way out of your area. Rota can make you be in 1 area (Sheffield) then in another area in 5 minutes (Chesterfield) travel time is non existing. Ask for way too much. Management walk all over you. If you say No they make you feel guilty and use that to their advantage to effectively bully you into picking up. Will terminate employment within 13 week probation due to a complaint, and not say what the complaint is about. (Falsely terminating your employment without showing proof of the complaint etc.)

Lovely Caring Company

I have worked here for a few years now and would like to say how caring this company is. They have supported me both in work and through a difficult time in my life. They really do care about their clients and staff. You often see managers out in the community working alongside us which is really good. I have met lots of really nice people and wouldn't want to work anywhere else.

Pros

Caring and supportive

Demanding and poor hours

The training is excellent,it's a shame it's not followed through. You are promised full time hours but the reality is unless you want to work six days a week from 6am until 11pm this is not achievable. Also you will most likely not get a contracted hours. It's a zero hours based contract. Most of the calls are around fifteen minutes and it's impossible at times to do all the required tasks without cutting corners. Travelling time is non existent and a lot of calls overlap as they are always short staffed so just keep giving you extra work to fit clients in. I was travelling all over the place despite the fact that I asked to work in my local area. Mileage is very poor.. Expect a change in rota on a regular basis. It's impossible to keep up at times.The office staff will text and ring you,even on your day off asking you to work. If you say no don't expect many hours,if any the next week. A big negative for me was the amount of time waiting in between calls. I like to do all my hours at once not two hours in a morning, an hour at lunch ,two hours at tea time and then two hours at bed time. Most days I ended up sitting in my car waiting to start lunch calls as it wasn't worth going home. Very boring and tiring . Not enough hours and always dreading getting my rota as hours would always be poor .

Total lies

I worked here for a few years. Don't bother. You are expected to fit as many calls in as possible, often overlapping. If you refuse don't expect many hours the next week. Most calls are 15 minutes and the tasks are ridiculous. You spend more time travelling and stuck in traffic. Constantly changing rotas and texting. Couldn't care less if you are ill. No extra pay for evenings or weekends. A lot of responsibility for minimum wage. Poor mileage and you have to use your own mobile phone. Avoid.

A company that wants you to succeed

I have never known a company where every member of staff does as much work and mucks in together like this one. From the director to managers and carers, everyone is willing to do their fair share and make Serendipity the best company out there. Training opportunities are pushed for everyone to make the best of themselves at no cost to employees and there is always a friendly ear should you need guidance. Care is a difficult industry but I'm proud to say I work for one that strives to be the very best!

Brilliant company

I have never worked for a company that are so thoughtful towards their employees. I have been offered multiple qualifications, variety of training and progression routes within the company. Although the hours can be demanding, that is the nature of the job. The managers are always polite when I cannot accept extra work for personal reasons. Lots of perks of being with this company like birthday and Christmas gifts.

Pros

Good progression, offer qualifications, friendly staff

Cons

Long days

Supportive and a great place to work.

I have worked for the company many years now and I know if I have a problem then I can always go to management and get the help and support when needed. If I feel I need more training then the management is happy to put me in training. If I get lost finding a house then they will stay on the phone with me until I have found it. Its a good wage and a fun place to work for. Friendly management and team leaders that are always willing to put the effort in as well. Managers are not shy of coming out the office as well to meet the service users.

Fantastic to work for

I have worked for several care companies. I would highly recommend. I have worked here for a few years. I get the hours I need. If I have an emergency with my children they will help and cover my work. Plenty of hours available if you want them. My team leader is supportive and I feel listened to.

Brilliant company

I had no experience when I started. They are patient and the training in fantastic. Nothing is too much trouble. I get the hours that I want which makes sure I get plenty of time at home with my family. Office staff and polite and friendly and make you feel at ease. Would definitely recommend.

Jobs at Serendipity Healthcare

See more jobs

Avoid!

Poor management.Not listened to, over worked and underpaid. Expected to work every hour god sends. No work life balance. I wouldn't recommend working for this company. However if you don't like your family and have no friends you will go far as they can work you to death. God forbid you substain an injury whilst working for them you will told it's your job get on with it.

Pros

Cons

Too long a list

Official response from Serendipity Healthcare

6 August 2019
We are really sorry that you did not enjoy your experience with the company. All our carers have the opportunity to accept or decline work. Most carers accept the amount of work they require individually to manage their finances. We have many carers working from as few as 4 hours per week up to full time. We have always encouraged people to come and talk to us if they are having any issues so that we can work together to overcome them if possible. We have carers that leave this company to try others and, more often than not, they return. If a company is not given the opportunity to respond, there is little that can be done

Not a good company to work for

Office staff are nice if you are a say yes person, if you don’t pick up or do what they want they will cut your hours and speak to you like rubbish The whistle blowing procedure means nothing to them they allow bullying talking behind your back and gossip the hr department is a joke Don’t care about family people lives money bills and wages as long as they get calls covered ..... that’s all that matters

Pros

Service user are lovely

Cons

The whole company

Avoid

I would not recommend them as an employer and I would not trust them to care for my relatives. I had a bad experience working for them and am glad to have left.

Cons

Rude management and no benefits

Unless you are friendly with the office staff and say yes constantly, than you will receive all the hours and holidays you want. If you say no you get no hours and mostly get holidays turned down. The office are extremely rude if you can not work or your children are not well. They advertise you working on £10 ph but you may only get 8 hours a week which unfortunately people can not live on. You will get phone calls and text messages constantly asking you to work or telling you that you have missed calls that are apparently on your rota but they are not so they get you in for a disciplinary meeting for something that is not your fault. When this happens they do not take responsibility for their own actions. They belittle you and make you feel worthless until they make you cry. If you have a health problem you don’t care until you are working. There are no benefits if you are pregnant, your hours get reduced and if you end up going to hospital you will be asked when you are coming back to work because they have too many staff of sick. After working for them for a number of years they have made me want to leave care and a job I once loved.

Pros

No pros

Cons

No hours and extremely rude and belittling office staff

Hard work

Long hours, always phoning or texting to do more, or just change you some were else, no home life, never listen to complaints, never friendly when you say no, won’t cover you when your sick, use your own phone with little data pay, 20p a mile, no private and confidential, everyone knows your business, HR isn’t very helpful, very rude at times,

Pros

Good training

Cons

Long hours, rude office and HR

Absolute waste of time. No care for their staff at all. Recommend avoid.

Long work hours and will ring you at stupid times to cover shifts on your days off. Also mess you about with changing Rota’s last minute due to staff illness. Treats their employees badly and does not listen to you when you try to explain your circumstances. HR manager is also terrible and very unprofessional, does not care about your circumstances and quick to judge. Communication with office difficult and they do not support staff enough. Pro side - Managing director is understanding and helpful.

Pros

Managing director kind and helpful.

Cons

Long hours, Uncaring office staff and HR manager., bad communication, Last minute change of Rota’s. Unwilling to listen to you.

Brilliant company.

I have worked for Serendipity Healthcare for a number of years. After working in community care for other companies I can honestly say this is the best. Yes phone calls happen, but they have a duty of care to ensure all service users recieves a visit. I have a fixed rota and know when my days off are. They accommodate pre booked appointments. Rotas are sent out over a week in advance. The office staff are brilliant and I feel listened to. Yes days are long but this is the same with any company. They have helped me achieve various qualifications and it's nice to do class room training rather than sat in front of a DVD. Would definitely recommend.

Pros

Job progression. Fixed hours contract.

Cons

Long days.

Great Company

I've worked for a number of different care companies and can honestly say..Serendipity is by far the best!! Yes, you do get asked to pick up extra shifts but this is no different to most companies. The staff are really helpful and supportive when you are out in the community and there is always someone to listen to any issues. They offer progression and opportunity to complete qualifications if you want to. It's like working for a big family.

Pros

Family supportive atmosphere

Cons

Sometimes long hours... but thats my choice

Official response from Serendipity Healthcare

24 June 2019
Thank you for your positive feedback. It is nice to hear that you feel the staff are supportive and liste to any concerns you have.

Not a fun company to work for

I was employed as a bank care assistant as I already have a full time job. My availability was discussed at interview where I stated that my main job came first and I could fit in a few hours around it. The care coordinator was fine, contacting me every week to find out my availability for the following week. However the HR department have no idea what the the cordinating staff are doing! Having worked with Serendipity for a few months - and constantly getting texts asking to cover days that I was already working, I told my coordinator that I couldn’t work for a few weeks as I was needed to work overtime at my main job. This, I was told , was not a problem. However the HR department then sent me an email saying my contract had been terminated for not working those few weeks! Pity they didn’t communicate to each other!

Pros

Lovely clients

Cons

No communication between departments

Terrible

Avoid like the plague! They will big it up to make it sound great, saying you get to choose where to work and choose your hours and have perfect home life balance...but the area I chose I haven't worked in at all asked for 40-50 hours got 15 because I refused to be sent allover place to different cities. And on your day off expect 14 missed calls asking you to work and expect snotty responses when you say no.

Far too demanding

I worked for this company for about 1 year and whilst I enjoyed my job I was set unrelastic and unachievable targets. The advert is misleading as you are only paid ÂŁ9 pH and if you complete your rota for the week you are the. Paid an extra ÂŁ1ph. There is no home/work life balance and the office staff are very rude and abrupt. Also if your lucky enough to get an allocated day off the office staff will call you to work not once but several times, they will also be rather nasty when you say no. Working 60+ is not what I wanted but ended up with. If you don't want to see your family and friends then work here.

Pros

Carers are lovely

Cons

Expect too much

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Serendipity Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement