Serendipity Healthcare

Serendipity Healthcare Pay & benefits reviews

Clear
3.3Pay & benefits

standard care job

i learned a lot at serendipity healthcare, being younger employee i learned about dementia, ms, and other health conditions. improved my cooking skills and communication skills. The hardest part is the long busy days. The most enjoyable part is helping people and feeling good about it.

Pros

decent breaks

Cons

long days

Demanding and poor hours

The training is excellent,it's a shame it's not followed through. You are promised full time hours but the reality is unless you want to work six days a week from 6am until 11pm this is not achievable. Also you will most likely not get a contracted hours. It's a zero hours based contract. Most of the calls are around fifteen minutes and it's impossible at times to do all the required tasks without cutting corners. Travelling time is non existent and a lot of calls overlap as they are always short staffed so just keep giving you extra work to fit clients in. I was travelling all over the place despite the fact that I asked to work in my local area. Mileage is very poor.. Expect a change in rota on a regular basis. It's impossible to keep up at times.The office staff will text and ring you,even on your day off asking you to work. If you say no don't expect many hours,if any the next week. A big negative for me was the amount of time waiting in between calls. I like to do all my hours at once not two hours in a morning, an hour at lunch ,two hours at tea time and then two hours at bed time. Most days I ended up sitting in my car waiting to start lunch calls as it wasn't worth going home. Very boring and tiring . Not enough hours and always dreading getting my rota as hours would always be poor .

Total lies

I worked here for a few years. Don't bother. You are expected to fit as many calls in as possible, often overlapping. If you refuse don't expect many hours the next week. Most calls are 15 minutes and the tasks are ridiculous. You spend more time travelling and stuck in traffic. Constantly changing rotas and texting. Couldn't care less if you are ill. No extra pay for evenings or weekends. A lot of responsibility for minimum wage. Poor mileage and you have to use your own mobile phone. Avoid.

Brilliant company

I have never worked for a company that are so thoughtful towards their employees. I have been offered multiple qualifications, variety of training and progression routes within the company. Although the hours can be demanding, that is the nature of the job. The managers are always polite when I cannot accept extra work for personal reasons. Lots of perks of being with this company like birthday and Christmas gifts.

Pros

Good progression, offer qualifications, friendly staff

Cons

Long days

Rude management and no benefits

Unless you are friendly with the office staff and say yes constantly, than you will receive all the hours and holidays you want. If you say no you get no hours and mostly get holidays turned down. The office are extremely rude if you can not work or your children are not well. They advertise you working on £10 ph but you may only get 8 hours a week which unfortunately people can not live on. You will get phone calls and text messages constantly asking you to work or telling you that you have missed calls that are apparently on your rota but they are not so they get you in for a disciplinary meeting for something that is not your fault. When this happens they do not take responsibility for their own actions. They belittle you and make you feel worthless until they make you cry. If you have a health problem you don’t care until you are working. There are no benefits if you are pregnant, your hours get reduced and if you end up going to hospital you will be asked when you are coming back to work because they have too many staff of sick. After working for them for a number of years they have made me want to leave care and a job I once loved.

Pros

No pros

Cons

No hours and extremely rude and belittling office staff

Hard work

Long hours, always phoning or texting to do more, or just change you some were else, no home life, never listen to complaints, never friendly when you say no, won’t cover you when your sick, use your own phone with little data pay, 20p a mile, no private and confidential, everyone knows your business, HR isn’t very helpful, very rude at times,

Pros

Good training

Cons

Long hours, rude office and HR

Not the best

Excellent training - shame it’s not followed. You are expected to use your own phone, they pay you a pittance towards your data but you are constantly charging it up - battery will need replacing quicker than with normal use. Some office staff are ok, if you raise concerns you get accused of tittle-tattle and get victimised because you “whistle blew”, everyone knows you did - no confidentiality. Company didn’t investigate concerns. A lot of good careers dictated to by bad - or they make your life difficult - force you out. Rota’d calls overlap. Little or no travel time -typically 5 mins, just can’t be done most of the time - you end up taking risks! Better companies out there.

Pros

Excellent training, work is very rewarding

Cons

Bad practice ignored, virtually no travel time

Good place to work if you want to get somewhere

Care work attracts all sorts of people. If you want to develop into something more then this is the best one to work for. Care work is the sort of job where you get out what you put in. If you're unreliable and let people down you'll not go far. But if you want to work hard, be reliable and prove yourself you'll get more opportunities and a set rota. They have to trust you before you get the benefits advertised which is how it should be. So many people that work in care expect to get away with calling in sick every other day then wonder why they don't get a set run! I have worked here now for 4 years and I have a set run, set days, have done loads of extra training and am now looking to move into the complex care team which pays £13 an hour.

Pros

Good progression. Good pay. Set hours

Cons

Other staff that let the clients down

Average pay

i'm just going to start by saying that the pay isn't too bad. however, if your team leader hasn't taken a liking to you. expect to be given no hours. no travel time, managers professionalism isn't great. But i suppose when you're raking it in, it allows you to speak to your staff and treat your staff how ever you want!? also, it says £10 ph, but if you have to have any of your shifts covered throughout the week due to maybe childcare, or illness you get your bonus capped and actually only get paid £9ph for that week. This company isn't about person centred care, it's about getting money. Yes most of the CQC guidelines are followed, but there's no care in it from anybody in the office.

Pros

staff you work with are lovely, average pay

Cons

long long hours, pay capped, unreliable hours unless your pals with the seniors

Better than average care companies

I have worked for Serendipity for roughly 6 months. I find that I get enough hours (roughly 35) & that the pay is good, there's also always the opportunity to pick up more if you need them. So far the majority of my clients have been very friendly & the work tends to be pretty easy. I would like to be paid more for travel, 20p a mile does not nearly cover the amount I spend on fuel to work for them. Id also like managers to speak nicely & a favour once in a while would be appreciated.

Pros

Good wage. Easy work. Plenty of hours.

Cons

Selfish. Rude managers. Low mileage.

Good company

I have worked for serendipity healthcare for a few years. I always get regular hours and offered the chance to pick up more. We are encouraged to progress within the company and lots of extra courses are offered if you are interested.

Pros

Good pay, flexible hours

Cons

shift work but that is caring

Serendipity are a Chesterfield based company but have branched out into Sheffield.

Serendipity are a good company there just wasn't enough work in Sheffield for me and the calls were too far apart. They are based in Chesterfield and had branched out into Sheffield.

Pros

Flexible working hours

Cons

Can be long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Serendipity Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement