Severn Hospice

United Kingdom12 reviews

Insights into Severn Hospice

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Opens your eyes to what charities are really like

Although initially I enjoyed working here, the job gradually became more and more stressful due to the inexperience and ignorance of the management. They rely on volunteers for absolutely everything, until even the volunteers have enough and stop turning up. Management have no understanding for staffs concerns, they only care about making money for the store.But the absolute worse thing I saw was people's donations being brought in through the front door and going straight in the bin out the back, mainly because staff couldn't be bothered to process it. Either that or the management expects brand new, shop quality donations to sell. Anything less gets binned.I think they need reminding that they are a charity shop that yes, needs to generate money for the hospice, but also help the poor and less fortunate. But it all seems to be about making money at this store. Sad really for a charity shop.

Pros

First pick at some donations

Cons

Ruins your view of charity shops

Poor management

The patients and families are always well cared for. However the way the management behave to the lower grade staff members is awful. Very strict policies and procedures, no longer a family friendly company at all. If they dont like you they soon find a way to terminate your contract, HR is supportive of the management only. Poorly paid for lower grade staff (but not for management level).

Pros

Can give wonderful patient focused care

Cons

Strict policies/ No support from HR

Used to be lovely

Bullying amongst staff, poor management and leadership .Lots of changes taken away the quality of care and unkind staff employed in later years .Wasting of public donations

Pros

Lovely job in itself

Cons

Some staff bullies and very unpleasant

Honourable Organisation

Fantastic business to work with, very rewarding personally. As I worked at the hospice not a shop I was able to observe the real purpose of Severn Hospice and it was very humbling. Great people doing a great service and was great to be part of that even for a short time.

Pros

Relaxed, friendly and compassionate staff.

fun and easy

i worked at seven hospice for college work experience. Everyone i met and worked with was great and very lovely. and it was a 3 days for two weeks . and they are so sweet helping me understand stand and getting better each day

Temporary role

It was an enjoyable experience working in the office I worked in...The people were helpful and friendly and also helpful in other areas of the hospice when our roles interacted

lovely environment

working here was lovely. it was a fun and happy place to work. there was never a dull day, i got breaks when needed, i made ta and coffees and got along with everyone.

Nice and rewarding

Very nice place to work at, all the volunteers were friendly and it's easy to make conversation with the customers too. Volunteering here was very good and rewarding as I felt like I was helping out a little.

help people

i am a hard work i love to meet new people and help people to what they want. And i the most enjoyable part of the job.I like doing thing for people and i am a nice person

Friendly Workplace

Ability to gain important experience about a working environment with friendly store manager giving opportunities to gain experience and learn new skills.

Pros

Learning new skills

Cons

Short on volunteers

lot to learn

. This is the charity shop.I am working as a volunteer.I am learning lot of things.I am always want to do something like this. Now I started looking for admin jobs for supporting my family. I am quick learns. I am ready to do admin jobs part time or full time.

Fun but hard working enviroment

Good place to work with good people and a livable wage, co-workers were hard workers and did the most to achieve daily targets, i never felt like a manager because of how well they worked, i didnt need to push them as hard as expected.

Pros

personal benefits

Cons

none.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Severn Hospice. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement