SGS

SGS Employee Reviews

United Kingdom81 reviews

Found 81 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,713 reviews
salarybalancetrainingbadmanagerlongyearnice

Good work life balance, low salary

Good place to work. My manager is great, Good flexibility. The pay is low and not great, you do get some good benefits like bonus and your birthday off.

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

Low pay

Not inclusive for people with non-physical disabilities or mental health conditions.

Generally the other lab technicians and team leaders are a group of lovely people and easy to get along with. However SOME of the management have no remorse or care for people with mental health conditions or non-physical disabilities. Essentially will make you feel so out of place and unwelcome in the company that you feel inclined to leave, or ring in sick so much because you dread going to the place so much that you get dismissed. There is no clear progression within the company and is practically like working in a factory. The whole atmosphere of the lab was almost depressing, at times where it genuinely felt like everyone there didn't really want to be there. Lots of people ringing in sick for various reasons everyday, which makes you think how awful of an environment it is to work. I think if you want to work in an environment like this you need to be a certain type of person which is absolutely fine, however i still see this job advertised all of the time, so clearly other people are not enjoying it aswell. They say you need a keen passion for science, when infact there is very little science involved - you are basically chopping up bits of food and putting it into plastic bags for 8 hours straight. Overall not a great place to work if you want to get into the science industry or are neurodivergent/suffer from disabilities.

Insights into SGS

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Sense of belonging

Really enjoy my time at SGS. Really helpful nice managers. Would recommend working there to anyone. Work with some great people. Training was really good.

A great place to start out on a career in the TIC industry, but loyalty not rewarded

SGS can be a great company to work for, they invest in people and try to develop and nurture talent, however management can be a bit of a mixed bag - in my 10+ years with the business I’ve had good managers and bad managers. I’ve been lucky that I was allowed enough freedom to create my own career path and had great managers that guided me along the way and gave me the training and support I needed to achieve remarkable things. The thing that really lets SGS down is the pay structure and the fact that they aren’t particularly great at rewarding loyalty and recognising success and that is why they score low for me, I’ve given 10+ years to the business, made acquisitions for the group and completely. revolutionised my area of the business, but people that joined less than a year ago earn more money than me - I even manage some of them! When it comes to trying to address the balance, pay rises are locked behind draconian rules that dictate maximum percentage rises that require multiple levels of sign off before they are granted. Perhaps this is a little specific, but it leaves me feeling massively undervalued and unappreciated by a business that I have given my all

Pros

Great support and freedom to forge your own career path

Cons

Failure to recognise achievements, failure to motivate and low salary

Fast paced and rewarding work

Fast paced lab, with lots to juggle when busy and stressful. Work is rewarding for those who enjoy the technical aspect. Good group of people to work with.

A friendly and attentive team

Probably the best place I have ever worked. My manager was lovely and also my supervisor was very supportive. Stayed in touch with my team after leaving the company.

Pros

A positive happy team

Cons

Didn’t keep my job after maternity

Don’t do it

Modern day slavery. Never encountered management and account managers who think you should worship them. Don’t do it ! Sgs office in Ealing was appealing.How can you work on accounts and not be allowedTo speak to the client. Rosada was a nightmare.

Many false promises made

The area manager made the salary, benefits etc sound very promising but she told a lot of untruths- her answer to me when I started to question things was " if I didn't put it in writing you cant prove it " , no questions if I'd mis understood or mis heard she really had a " so what " attitude. The job as auditor is too underpinned by you needing to make sales

Pros

nice job to retire to or start a new carreer

Cons

too much emphasis on sales rather than auditing

Fragmented

Whilst a big company in staff numbers the company is very fragmented with poor cooperation between operating countries. An excellent brand history but now complacent and living on past reputation. Some highly professional people on the ground but struggling for direction in the face of increasing, agressive competition and increasing demands from customers. The most enjoyable part for me was working with so many diverse colleagues from all over the world.

Great Place to Work

SGS has been a really fantastic company to work for, full of opportunities. The management gives you the support you need, and constantly recognizes and encourage good ideas and employees. With a friendly environment, it is a great company with many career growth opportunities worldwide.

Pros

work/life balance

Busy yet interesting

Having worked in the business for a number of years, I’ve seen many changes in that time to systems, management structure, staff and processes/regulations. The company support staff well and if you are prepared to put effort in, you are rewarded with opportunity to progress, progression isn’t always more money or a different job title in SGS but the increased responsibility and respect for a job well done. The roles I have been in have always been varied and interesting- no 2 days are identical. I have always found management to be supportive and nurturing both personally and professionally allowing staff the autonomy to get on with their jobs in their own way so long as the end result is the same. There do seem to be 2 types of employees at SGS those who join and stay for years or those who come and go quickly, it’s the kind of work environment you either thrive in or can’t handle the pace. Most employees I have met & work with seem happy and engaged, those who are not tend to be the ones who are not willing to meet in the middle or adjust their working habits to fit in. New employees tend to take a while to settle as what we do is typically unlike anything they have done before, with training and guidance a new starter is usually familiar with routine tasks within a few months. SGS CBE is a heavily regulated, international corporate business as such changes however simple they seem are not usually quick to implement but there is a definite visible commitment from senior management to training, development and the advancement of technologies to improve the business.

Poor

Very poor company owned and run by a man who couldn't run a bath. The only good thing about working here is the drive home, constantly undermined and all ways under threat of the sack

Suffocating atmosphere, favoritism

Not a place for good work/life balance, overworked underpaid and not a place for getting recognition for skills, hard work and loyalty. People who talk more with hollow partial or limited knowledge and limited hard wok but portray as they know everything get noticed than people who put in their hours as well as do everything they can to succeed.

Two-faced liar.

Liar.Made redundant whilst the manager actively discontinued contracts,yet when questioned he denied this.I had a friend(workmate) on one of these contracts who asked what was happening as they had been told not to send us any more work.Face to face the manager denied this!

Pros

Gemerally nice people and relaxed atmosphere, but managed from Liverpool, out of touch and liar.

Cons

Management.

Boring

Poor management, worse communication, low standards, and a 'don't care' attitude. The company has little concept of what the contract they have entered into - really involves.

Pros

Cons

Run by lazy and disinterested people.

Fast Paced Work.

Working at SGS can be stressful at times and the work life balance can be at times testing but for a first time job out of uni Its a good stepping stone job.

Lonely

Hard work but very time consuming you need to be very resilient and happy with your own space this job is not for the faint hide but can be beneficial at that time

Typical small company taken over by global company and you become absolute.

SGS say in its mission statement that they " actively welcome employees to question what they do" This I find to be untrue....question ANYTHING and you will be gone my friend.

Great career opportunities

Typical week is 37.5 hours, great Company to learn new skills and have a variety of work, management allow you to make decisions and manage your workload, this can be stressful at times as there are peaks and throughs due to the type of work you do, however this gives you great opportunity to show your ability and gain advancement. The people you work with are supportive and appreciate your efforts. Great Company to work for.

sgs security

i was work sgs for long time from London to Manchester but i don't like because they don't have regular shifts . always defiant site and they don't have permanent job

Worst place to have worked.

Don’t even bother with this company unless you want to be underpaid and stressed.. senior management are a joke! If your face fits here then your good to go if not your almost bullied ! I tried to find other jobs but it’s so hard and it’s easy just to turn up to work but this place has to be out of all the places I’ve worked the worst one. You get pressured and targeted on work that is impossible to achieve. Senior management have known eachother years so very pally pally and don’t care for anyone else to be honest. Pay is disgusting for what you have to do the work loads stress everybody out

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SGS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement