Shaw Trust

Shaw Trust Employee Reviews

Private companies that register themselves charities and absorb outsourced contracts like they’re going out of fashion are often riddled with issues. I was part of the progenitor to what is now Shaw Trust when I was a trainer and advisor for The Careers Development Group (CDG) and supported the operations of the Crawley branch of this company across 4 DWP employment contracts. CDG merged sometime in 2015 with Shaw Trust and simply became ‘Shaw Trust’. How one could review the company depends on your own experiences. Many would find lots to promote Shaw Trust, other would only regurgitate bile when recalling their time with the company. I am somewhere in between. I could rant on forever about the Business Managers; some of them genuinely nice, whereas others were strict disciplinarian tyrants who would abuse you due to their own desperation to achieve targets. I encountered both at my long-term stint with the Trust. I worked simultaneously as an Employment Coach and an Employment Advisor on the Flexible New Deal, Work Programme and Work Choice contracts. The latter was actually great fun as I was required to travel to different centres and carry out job search/employer engagement appointments with job seekers, the Trust paid for my train fares with Click Travel. I ended on a high and enjoyed this final placement on Work Choice and was given a fairly big redundancy package. Prior to this however I was churned up in the meat grinder that was Work Programme with a deluge of customers to see, sessions to run and admin to complete that nearly saw the death of me! I nearly - more...
Pros
Good Training, Wages and Bonuses
Cons
Erratic Managers, some nice some terrible!
Be prepared to have your confidence and any self esteem blown to smithereens.......Hideous role; do not apply! Managed by team leaders that base their management style on daily undermining and bullying. Targets are set that are often unachievable. They set you up to fail and then comes more humiliation and undermining. Unfortunately Covid makes this easier as online Teams calls make it the perfect opportunity for this behaviour. No people management skills and zero communication skills. Staff turnover is horrendous. Staff constantly leaving through stress and unhappiness. Saying that those left behind are very supportive of one another and the environment they have to work in. The role isn’t what was sold. Huge amounts of data entry, manipulation of data and very repetitive. If you genuinely have an interest in criminal justice or want a role that makes a difference to someone’s life; this isn’t it. This isn’t about supporting and helping ex offenders back into the community but manipulating data and hitting targets to please senior management. There are other organisations that support the CF03 work so would strongly advise working for one of these instead.
Pros
Supportive, hard working colleagues
Cons
Bullying, unsupportive management
On the whole a great a great work force, kind caring and have a real passion for the job and the students they work with every day.However management are too top heavy, everyone trying to prove their role is necessary. Not qualified to carry out basic procedures and make staff feel undervalued. The salary is poor (minimum wage) and if your face fits you will be fine.
Pros
Students and most staff
Cons
A very enjoyable organisation to work with. They are across the UK, working to help disadvantaged people into employment. It can be inspiring work to do.
Pros
Fulfilling roles
Cons
BE AWARE bunch of discriminations from management they seem to be a charity for disabled people only to degrade and withdrawn someone who has disability and not get shortlisted. I applied for a post unreasonably scrapped me out from the process with a predjuice misperception when I was good enough to get processed. If you don’t know the company is fake and the help they say. The charity itself it’s all fake towards disabled people is all false terms. It’s just a scandal to exaggerate and create more awareness of jobs with false hope to benefit their own agenda. They wanna show they support disabled people and value them when actually it’s just to create a organisation so people find work to fit their own agenda and make a organisation with false values and ethic showing they stand by when they don’t. Their value and ethic has no value behind it.
Pros
Fake and nothing!
Cons
Alot of the donations never end up on the shop floor. Alot of great volunteers but bad Management. Very poor pay which the Region Area Manager thinks is good. Stay away & go work for a good honest charity.
Pros
Cons
To many to mention
Working as volunteer at shaw trust is very flexible,it's a welcoming environment,also it gives opportunities for diversity, and friendly coworkers....
This used to be a brilliant worthwhile charity, with great passion, BUT NOW it is no longer passionate about it client group, it shouldn't carry charity status, it is all about payment by results and money making, with NO concern about its client group.
Pros
No weekend work
Cons
Too many to mention, only interested in making more money.....
Great management team and very supportive. Great core values and very person centred in their approach. Dealing with COVID-19 has been challenging but have been supported through the whole process
Shaw trust has a unprofessional, bullying and racist culture. With unsupportive line management team. Not a good company to work for. Best advice i could give would be please do not join.
The job description says that The role of Support Manager requires an engaging, empathetic and motivating individual, able to support people with complex barriers to move into sustainable employment - you are not given time to support because the only goal of any value to ST is get them in to work
I would not recommend working for Shaw Trust. They are a charity without a charitable heart. The culture was driven by poor leadership, a lack of support and a disjointed approach to performance. They were a commercial business masquerading as a charity
Good place, has since closed down the wood recycling side of operations. was a physical job, working in all weathers with plenty of motorway travel in between jobs
Unfortunately it was an extremely disappointing place to volunteer as on a few occasions they didn't have anything for me to do which was really inconvenient. If they've hired a volunteer they should've organised some tasks for me to do.
I was very optimistic to start this Role, but seems this role went from bad to worse. After an overly long induction process (after a delayed 6 week starting date), I had months of issues of getting onto the systems needed to complete the role. When I eventually gained access, 6 weeks after starting in the role and after the induction process, which becomes useless because they change the process so quickly and anything mentioned in the training is now not relevant. When I eventually started the actual role, I was given my targets, and that was basically what became the job. This role was not about helping people, but more about making sure I hit targets. If you actually want to help people, this is not the role for you. If you are a target orientated Admin/desk oriented person, go for it. My manager was not concerned at all that I was able to sign people up to the projects provided and just said to get people through. It didn't matter if they completed actions that were good for them, as long as it could be evidenced online in a particular way. The way the contracts works for this role is, compliance is king. if it sounds good it is good, weather that means it is right for the person or not. Even after handing my notice in I was told to sign people up for support that was not going to be given for at least 4 months. When I said this was unethical, I was told I was letting the team down (not the people I was trying to support) and when I referenced that it was just feedback as requested I was attacked in my exit meeting and asked why I even took the role. - more...
Management at the time was great new where you where fuel allowance was 45p plenty of overtime available very well run. Downside, Travelling more distances as to cover a lot of areas . No travelling time between calls.
I'm happy in Shaw Trust because it is a safe place. I don't feel stressful there and this lets me work better there. I have a supportive manager. I learn a lot from her.
Fast paced and demanding deadlines, but the other staff were always very welcoming and friendly. I learned a lot about attention to detail. The management were very much a part of the team which certainly made things easier.
Although I voluntered, it was a good fun environment where I communicated with many different people through serving and helping with general enquiries.
I loved the job, and the shop. I built excellent customer relations in my time there as a volunteer and many were pleased when I became employed. I think I overachieved when in sole command - I exceeded weekly sales targets - and as irrelevant as it may seem, kept the shop clean and tidy. However, I believe, my manager felt threatened by my education and ability.
Friendly environment. Easy learning facilities. Fast paced working place. A big variety of products from our loyal donors and a good selection of goods to sell to satisfy all our customers needs.
  1. Employee reviews