Shaw Trust

Shaw Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom238 reviews

trustcharityorganisationtargetcentrevolunteershoprole

Mixed bag

Working remotely on the JETS contract is good as it offers flexible WFA advantages. There's a high turnover of staff which is typical in employability and Shaw Trust annoyingly employ people from all manner of industries to do a job which requires a level of empathy many don't have, particularly managers. Managers are focused on targets, piling pressure on where they can to front line staff without understanding nuances of the job. A so so job I would rate 2.5 stars

Pros

Remote flexibility

Cons

High sales pressure without commission to compensate in an essentially admin based role

It's a great place work

The people there are very friendly and easy to get on with them. There's lots of things you can do . Using the tile, stocking up, tiding things and rearranged the shelves. Helping others.

Pros

Noting bad

Cons

Good hours.

Insights into Shaw Trust

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Poor people management culture , intimidation and perception discrimination

Poor work life balance , compounded by poor workflow management , reactionary management style . Regular disrespectful behaviour from junior and middle managers , frequent displays of power plays and group belittling of staff

Pros

Access to training

Cons

Training dependent on the personality of your line manager

Only interested in targets.

Not a great place to work. Unattainable targets. Training almost non-existent.Poor management who have their favourites.Pay is reasonable for the job.Large turnover of staff mainly due to stress.

Pros

Reasonable pay

Cons

Unattainable targets. Non-existent training.

Lovely

Volunteer not paid position, helped me build my confidence after years out of work, enjoyed spending time with the team, learnt a lot and lots of tea!! Enjoyed every minute

Differences in Virtual Delivery & Office Presence

I've experienced working from home and in person whilst working in Shaw Trust across a range of programmes. The office-based programmes are suffering from slight under development. The culture in the Remote programs have more team-culture, spirit and morale building interventions, along with simpler clerical processes.In the office operation the staff within the teams/areas is nice including the management, but the integration of working with the other departments seems some what fragmented and come with many moving parts that don't speak to other. A lack of synergy.

Intense

Awesome team.Supportive Management.Benefits are great.Opportunities for career progression are there but need to search for them.Very stressful target driven environment.Your career success arguably depends on people who may not want to work.

Where do I start

The positives1. Training and induction initially is very good 2. Shaw trust is very supportive and inclusive and provides support for those with disabilities and neurodiverse conditions 3. Colleagues are friendly and try to be supportive when they can 4. You get leave at Christmas, travel expenses and the business world system is good if not a bit confusing NegativesThis isn't entirely the fault of shaw trust as I was working on the national careers service contract which was a nightmare. So the blame for the many issues lies at the hands of the EFSA. But my impression is that whilst shaw trust were happy to take on the contract (and the financial rewards) they didn't do a thing to improve things and just washed their hands of the whole thing. It's hilarious that as advisors, we were constantly told to work more efficiently and yet at the same time, having to tick multiple boxes and jump through many hoops to make the company happy. If they genuinely want advisers to work more effectively, review, streamline and simplify procedures and processes, reduce excessive unnecessary admin and invest in a decent crm system as the current system is awful and everything is so long winded on there. Oh and give us admin time to catch up. It really is that simple.The staff turnover is horrendous and will continue to be until those in power wake up and realise things need to change. Sadly I can't see that ever happening If you apply to be a careers adviser thinking you are going to be helping people and making a difference, well.....FORGET IT!! All national careers service, EFSA -

Targets, Targets, Targets

My colleagues were wonderful.Management are dire.The targets are ridiculous, and there are targets for literally everything.Loved trying to help my participants, but we were told to basically force them onto courses (which you have targets for), force them to use MS Teams (which you have targets for), put them forward for vacancies that we know aren't appropriate (which you have targets for). If all your participants want to work in a warehouse, you'll hit your job start target no problem! You are not entitled to any sick pay until you pass your 6 month probation, and lots of staff have their probabtion extended because they cannot hit the ridiculous targets.You will be micro-managed, you will be called out in front of other staff, you will be made to compete against your colleagues.You will end up doing a lot of unpaid overtime and if you take any leave, you can guarantee coming back to a nightmare!Staff leave in droves!Shaw Trust Employability is one of the worst jobs I have ever done. I would not recommend anyone to apply to work here unless you enjoy being belittled by narcissitic managers!

Not very nice atmosphere

Staff are very clicky and managers have their favourites. service users are lovely and appreciate all you do for them. Cameras everywhere which are constantly monitored by management to make sure no ones using their phones for personal use... and you feel like everything you do is watched and questioned.

Avoid !

Very stressful, like working in factory but from home. Lots of upaid overtime, you get well done lol for good performance, never bonus or salary rise.First month is ok the training etc and then when you go to your role most of the people leave.-you will have meetings back to back with only one break a day. - no job security - poor pay - no employee recognition - no sick pay until you complete 6 months and pass probation-you will never speak with your manger they are unavailable, don’t answer to emails et, TL are nice but they don’t have much power to change things - everyone is leaving and then you get their work on top of what you have to be done in same time-avoid, you can do better :)

Supportive manager and lots of various perks

My manager is supportive and you gain access to counselling etc within the wider organisation. There is a huge emphasis on targets and sometimes it feels the salary does not reflect the amount of work we have to do.

Terrible leadership

Management do not take time to understand what lower paid staff are dealing with. Target driven with unrealistic targets. Goalposts change regularly. Don’t live by their own core values

Pros

Good holidays

Cons

No direction. Lack of management understanding. Target driven.

Hr

Helping build a future where rewarding employment is accessible for all. At Shaw Trust we believe in fairness, equality and opportunity. We believe everyone has the right to live a decent and dignified life and have an opportunity for rewarding work.

Great for training and development

Very supportive in terms of training and developing staff. Lots of opportunities for internal jobs and movement. Some roles are remote working still but great systems in place for supporting staff and building a team ethos. Other hybrid roles have been less directly supported with a high expectation of independent working.

Brilliant company

Shaw Trust is an amazing company to work for. They offer brilliant benefits and the work environment is friendly. Great Management and Hybrid working.

Good company

Great pay and work environment. But stressful environment driven by targets and admin. If you from a recruitment background, this environment would be great for you

Hard to progress unattainable targets

Targets are unattainable and beyond your control. Remote working is ideal but only if have decent management. Salary needs improving especially the gap between management and non- management

Pros

Remote

Cons

Salary

Targets

The Good:-I had a great induction and a friendly, supportive team who were always on hand to help. -We were allowed to work from home during COVID. -I supported lots of people who truly needed our support. The service is largely suited to those who need basic assistance e.g. CVs and interviews and we had access to some great resources for certain clients.-Shaw Trust is an inclusive employer and provides great training opportunities to those with less experience. The Bad:The service fails to support a lot of clients and you are often selling dreams to those that want to work in a career other than construction or security etc... -Experienced professionals will often feel like they're wasting their time with you but the job centres will refer them anyway and you have to soldier through the session to meet your targets.-Targets became increasingly strict and subject to more and more micromanagement. -You have to work with the DWP who often dehumanised their "customers".-There was a massive bloat of different employability contracts and even clients were confused about being referred to them.-You need to help clients using a fixed list of activities, which hurts your ability to have a constructive discussion and instead you resort to ticking boxes to make the compliance team happy. This wouldn't be so bad if you could give management some narrative about why you didn't meet your target, but you can't. Annual leave, challenging "customers", or even training days will count against you in meeting your targets. -I felt patronised by the management at times and -

Pros

Induction, Helpful team

Cons

Impossible caseload, micromanagement, not being able to help "customers", flogging courses, working with the DWP

Fun place to be

It can difficult to adjust to a new place, which is what I found initially. The team is great and people will support you and help out. The life work balance is the best I have experienced since I started teaching I years go.

Terrible Company

Shaw Trust is a terrible company to work for. The pay is poor given the amount of work they expect for it. The expectations are completely unreasonable. The targets are ludicrous. Management are very disorganised and unsupportive. The culture is toxic. I could not recommend working for them in any way

Pros

Cons

Long hours, ridiculous targets, poor IT systems

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shaw Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement