Shelter UK
Happiness score is 51 out of 100

Shelter UK Employee Reviews

United Kingdom113 reviews

Good

Great place to work, had really great experience and was incredibly eye opening. Really ability to test yourself and to learn each and everyday, would recommend.

Fantastic colleagues and supportive team leaders

The people on the teams are fantastic and the team leaders are some of the most supportive people I’ve met in my life, but the manager for the face to face team is one of the least supporting and understanding I’ve ever met, he demotivates and places a lot of stress on your shoulders which doesn’t help as this is a scores based job, other than that it is fantastic

Insights into Shelter UK

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Sense of belonging

It was a really great place to work, the team was amazing and made friends for life.

Learnt a lot from tagging, and steaming clothes to going threw donations to becoming the assistant manager and running the shop. loved the customers.

Pros

Do any days you want to do.

Cons

Rude customers/shop lifters.

Worthwhile cause, good management, shifts are good hours but demanding at times due to the sheer volume of calls.

I must admit when I first started I thought this job would be difficult, I was not expecting it to be as hard as it was.It’s mentally draining, the company do however offer lots of help for well being which is a massive plus. There is a lot to take in, and I think training could have been better, but this was quite new when covid hit and some had to be done remotely which is understandable and I think the majority of companies out there have had hiccups along the way.I think if the shift pattern was re jigged to have more than 1-2 days off per week it would work much better. Most people will not mind adding an extra 2 hours per day to a shift if they can have 4 days off in a row, giving ample time to wind down. 2 days is just not enough to switch off after some challenging situations to be in.

Pros

Paid breaks, additional time to read up on new changes. Friendly understanding management

Cons

A lot to learn and remember, mentally draining at times, strict on information to be given to a client if you forget things, as in their eyes you are legal trained on housing laws

Pleasure to work

I was lucky to work for this amazing company. There work ethic and ethos is second to none. The job can become stressful at times however there is always plenty of support from management Amazing team work

Pros

The company itself

Cons

Great atmosphere, but the fundraisers are undervalued by the charity.

As mentioned in the summary, it's a great place to work if you hit your targets, but the charity don't value their fundraisers, which is ironic because fundraisers effectively pay everyone else's wages by earning money for the charity.

Pros

Good working hours, easy to take holiday. Encouraging colleagues.

Cons

Undervalued by management and very target driven, meaning it isnt easy to hold onto the job.

Productive and sensitive

Great organisation to work with, not afraid to challenge in order to improve housing opportunities for all. Management support excellent, understanding and flexible.

Pros

Staff benefits/ pension

Cons

Security of service

Corporate, imperial- a PR agency with a call centre

PR driven agency - interested in profile not services.An agency talks a good deal- delivers very little.Very hierarchicalNot client focusedPoor internal communicationsLikes trendy catchphrases

Pros

Edinburgh

Cons

Toxic environment

Productive and nice place to work.

Working in the shelter was a great experience, seeing new faces every day. Also there were humble people who donated goods to the store. The employees were amazing and very helpful.

Pros

Nice and helpful employees

Cons

Long standing

fun

Good place to volunteer with. I met new people on the daily and loved the people i worked with. You get to pick and choose your hours and it’s very flezible

Really good

Like any campaigning job it was hard work but really rewarding. The people I worked with were lovely and the culture at shelter is so pleasant and friendly.

Was a fun place to volunteer

I was only there for a month but I met some lovely people whilst working there both colleagues and customers. Great for work experience and worked well for something to do alongside education.

Pros

Very flexible hours

Cons

They shut down the shop after a month of me being there

Good place to work.

No two days were the same. Some heavy lifting at times but enjoyable overall. Your working day will start by organising your morning route then loading the van in that order. After doing van checks and any other paperwork you will hit the road to deliver or collect the scheduled items. You will have another driver or volunteer to help you deliver/collect the furniture. (Some training maybe required if the volunteers are new)When collecting furniture you will ask the customer to gift aid the items if they are able to do so as this is a huge help to the charity.The afternoon shift will work the exact same.During my time there I spent a week working down Birmingham. Helped open several other shops and travelled as far away as scotland/London to collect furniture / stock rotation.

Pros

Relaxed working, travelling around the country.

Loved it

Very friendly and helpful employers made me feel very comfortable and welcomed nice work environment lots of work to do all the time so will always be kept busy

Pros

Good work hours

ok

Responsibilities included• Providing a safe and customer friendly environment • Knowing the law regarding alcohol and licencing • Maintaining a clean and presentable bar and kitchen • Cooking, food prep, organising the bar • Making cocktail and having a basic knowledge of the variety of drinks we serve

Shelter helps vurnerable people at a very dificult time in their life.

Shelter Scotland gives me great satisfaction to work in and as the shops only PAT tester I fined the work very rewarding. Working at the stockwell street store is both entertaining and educational.

Pros

Free travell

Cons

unpredictable stock levels.

Shelter Scotland

I had the best experience of my life working for Shelter. A group of wonderful, experienced and sensitive team leaders and managers guide you every step of the way. It is a target driven environment, and once one is adapted to this form of work, the days swiftly blur by in a haze of train journeys and coffee. The teams are all full of wonderful, warm people. The only piece of advice that can offer as a Shelter alumni is to never forget the reason why Sheters work is important. Eye on the prize...

Friendly and Community spirited

Charity work, rewarding and good for Community. Helpful Management and good team spirit. Would recommend for anyone looking to return to the work force.

Great job

Great job people and environment plus we are helping people get a roof over their head. I have worked with various charities and they have been fantastic

Fun to Volunteer at

Volunteered there for my Bronze and Silver DofE - it was very enjoyable. Loved working with the people there and there was always something for me to do, whether it was tagging clothes, sorting stock or working at the till.

Stressful fast paced working enviroment

Stressful fast paced enviroment some of the volunteers were very friendly but the manager made me feel rubbish and made me feel like I wasn't doing a good enough job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shelter UK. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement