Shetland Islands Council

Shetland Islands Council Reviews with Jobs

United Kingdom9 reviews

Safe Work Environment

I would always felt able to ask questions if i needed help or to understand more about the cleaning job and my manager was always able to help me which was great because it meant we could get the best job done as possible.

Teaching in Shetland is second to none.

Small class sizes, well behaved kids and colleagues who love teamwork make it super.I've taught in almost all of the secondary and some of the primary schools and its very difficult to pick a favourite.

Pros

Job great, kids great, colleagues mostly great, islands allowance of £1500. Nice long days in summer. Northern lights.

Cons

Bad weather, especially winter. Long winter nights.

Positive workplace

A great place to work with regular opportunities for professional growth. A strong management team led my school and staff always felt very valued and supported.

Managements moto is your all replaceable

Depending On the department very little support for staff Staff under valued Face fits moto Ull get further ahead if u know someone in management Hours are terrible unless ur office based Training is variable and at managers discretion so dnt expect anything u ask for No such thing as team building

Pros

Cons

They dont care about the staff

Very supportive place to work. Opportunities to work on projects and new initiatives encouraged and supported. Close working networks with other agencies.

Pros

N/a

Cons

N/a

Good team of Engineers with pro-active attitude.

Contract procurement - PPQ - Sub-contract tendering - Material procurement - Package presentation and award - Site establishment - Welfare and H&S regimes established, monitored and maintained - Safe working practices, COSH, RAMS etc introduced and managed - Environmental systems established and managed - Delivery of Contract within defined timescales and completed safely, profitable and to the standard expected by the client. Constantly learning how to streamline activities and maximise efficiencys whilst engaging with the contractors to raise standards both in quality and safety. Enjoy delivering high quality work whilst ensuring a safe workplace.

Wages well below industry standards

Management full of empty promises, councillors and managemnet completely out of touch in the day to day running of council and don't care about their staff. Wages for operatives are well below industry standard and would rather make them work nights and weekends for straight time!

Pros

Pension

Cons

Wages, conditions, management

Productive and fun workplace, gain valuable experience

The most enjoyable part of my job is working face to face with the public and helping them when required.

challenging, fun and rewarding

A typical day at work included assisting people to get up and on with morning routines, washed and ready for their day. Preparing meals and assisting with medications throughout day.Taking people out for the day for walks; which was lovely seeing how much it benefitted people while they experienced things they enjoyed.The night time routine would be caried out in a similar way with relaxation activities or other activities such as making music, playing with toys or crafts or even puzzles and games. When the clients wanted to go for a drive they could, this was enjoyable for client and staff with ability to take a lot of people out at once.I learned a lot from this work, about how to react in numerous situaions including if people were to have epileptic seizures, or if a client was finding it hard to deal with a situation. How to keep organised with care standards and daily working records and how to work efficiently with my co workers. Which we worked as a team, helpful and intuitive to each other and most importantly the clients. they were a pleasure to work with.The hardest part of the job i suppose is trying to comply with everybodie's ideas all at once, trying to compromise and figure out good activites for everone to do that will be enjoyable whilestill trying to give people one to one attention.An enjoyable part of the work is to help them get motivated, realising that what they were doing can be fun and enjoyable. This was actually one of the most rewarding and enjoyable times, when you encourage people to do things which will benefit them. Whether it be going out -

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shetland Islands Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement