Shoosmiths

Shoosmiths Employee Reviews

United Kingdom56 reviews

Lovely place

Loved working here excellent places to work. Good staff and rewards. Progression was there if you wanted it. Flexible working hours. Always things going on in the office.

Fantastic staff to work with, diverse & inclusive. Offers good benefits and frequent bonuses. Wages are not high, but staff are treated well & valued.

Insights into Shoosmiths

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging

High staff turnover

Workload would have been manageable and less call centre like if other staff were wiling to answer calls rather than all calls falling on shoulders of a hand full. Staff who had been there longer let off with behaviours new starts were pulled up on (hangovers, going over breaks slightly, etc). Some HR members were more like gossiping neighbours, others were very kind and supportive. Direct management was generally very good, but were held back on decisions/changes by those higher up the chain. Claims to be non hierarchal, true for lower management but not always the case for higher. Generally an ok place to work for depending on sector, some areas worse than others. Workload can be extreme but only in small phases. Found debt recovery side of it very morally challenging at some points.

Pros

free fresh fruit - tea - coffee and any leftovers from client meetings given to staff, Free office drinks at end of month, Good progression options

Cons

Productivity tracking, Office gossip provided by HR members, Phone calls can be of a sensitive nature

Great company

Shoosmiths is a great company to work for and the work culture is brilliant. I only left as I felt my salary did not reflect the work I did for the company. Unfortunately, they couldn’t match a job offer I received.

Pros

Work culture, work/life balance, people

Cons

Salary

Nice office and poeple

Very good work environment and nice poeple. However, the salary is very low and it is started to be an issue. They should value more the support staff.

Pleasant employees but not seniors

Fake promises, poor pay and make you work extra hard to no reward. Management is corrupt and clear show of favouritism in teams. Firm has a good name due to its history but reputation is dropping.

Pros

Nice offices

Cons

Favouritism is evident and false promises

Gone to the dogs

Shoosmiths used to be a great place to work. Progression, support, job satisfaction, good pay. Recently hushed up redundancies, reports of bullying that were never dealt with, lack of support and obvious prejudice has been awful to see. Shoosmiths promotes itself as supporting a healthy work life balance and being pro mental health and wellbeing. This may be the case in some departments but certainly not in all departments. Working parents are on their knees trying to meet targets, fulfill workload and satisfy networking demands. If your face fits you might be lucky enough to progress through the ranks but at what cost? The Top Tier Legal 500 ranking will attract new talent but certain departments don't deserve good employees.

Pros

Good perks

Cons

Unreasonable demands, lack of support, inflexibility

Only worth it if you are 1000% sure you want to be a lawyer

A good place if you want to develop your legal skills as you really do get into the work you are given and it is client focussed and you get responsibility early on. However you are asked to do to much early on. It isn't a 9-5.30pm job as you are expected to worker much longer and leaving a minute early is frowned up whereas if you stay an extra 3 hours you aren't really applauded for it. If you want a training contract then the experience here is good but management weren't the best personally and the pay is low given the amount of work you should to - especially compared to other roles in different law firms.

Pros

Day off on your birthday

Cons

Unreasonably long hours on a daily basis

Nice office job, great location, great staff but nature of the job let’s it down.

Everything about working at shoomsiths was great. Apart from the telephony work where you had to chase and call people for they’re money back.. you can probably guess how 40% of the calls went. The staff are lovely, caring and kind to you. The office is nice and modern. Pay could be better for the type of work you do. Work got repetitive at some points leaving me bored. Training provided is more than enough and there is a few bonuses included for birthdays or Christmas.

Pros

Great staff, location, good shifts, great training

Cons

Weak pay, nature of the job, tasks got boring.

Fast-paced, but rewarding - fun working envrionment.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Shoosmiths LLP, due to the exciting and fast-paced environment; there is always something to learn and always something to do, and experience which can be very rewarding. The teams I worked with and around were nothing but nice and I believe I have made life long friends in the process of working there.

Pros

Good Pay, Friendly Co-Workers, Ability to Ask Questions.

Cons

Commute Can Be Long, Traffic Can Be Bad.

Terrible place to work

Management don't seem to care about you. The team I was on was appalling and management told me it was my attitude and to sort it out myself! Not only that but I was expected to do work I've never even been trained for! When I tried to do it I was told I'm trying to hard with the clients.....I felt like I couldn't win. Eventually I was forced out. Never work here!

face-paced environment

A busy, past-paced working environment. A busy office inhabiting several areas of business. Working within a large team, achieving individual and company goals. Completing a heavy workload within a specific time allocation.

Fast Paced, Career Focused

My time at Shoosmiths was very enjoyable and challenging to say the least. When working with big and with even bigger brains, you do need to be resiliant and thick skinned.

I thoroughly enjoyed working at this firm. If I hadn't had to leave due to needing my redundancy payment to pay for my daughter's master's degree I would still be there.

Not as great as it seems

I was excited about working here in theory. They're very boastful of their achievements and great working environment on their website. It's a shame it didn't work like that in practice. During my time there (less than a year) I experienced and/or witnessed: - Certain staff being prioritised and treated more favourably than others due to explicit favouritism, friendship and/or familial relations. - Inappropriate personal questions being asked about my sexuality. - Personal information that should have been taken to HR in confidence being spoken about to/by other employees. - Workplace bullying (I was deliberately ignored and ostracised by certain members of staff, and at one point my social media accounts were being literally stalked by people within my own team trying to prove that I was saying incriminating things about the company or people I worked with). - Concerns being outright dismissed when brought to HR: including the aforementioned social media stalking, as well as being treated like a second-class citizen because I was just support staff, and the toxic culture of gossip and backstabbing that was rampant in the office, which I was told was all "just part of working in an office." - Support staff being spoken to like dirt and made to act like skivvies, and clearly viewed as being beneath the managers and solicitors. During my time working there I witnessed no fewer than 4 members of support staff leave. - Shifty wage practices? Someone in my team who was meant to have the same job titles as me but ended up in a slightly different position was being paid -

Fantastic company and management to work for.

Unfortunately I felt I had to move on from shoosmiths due to salary and no career progression. I had spent many years working my way up to the highest step on the ladder and reached my peak and as such felt it was needed for my progression to move on elsewhere. I’d recommend this company to anyone they’re such a pleasure to work for, staff included and they really value employees

If looking for a Training Contract, do not go for the Paralegal positions here.

I feel there is no future for a graduate within Shoosmiths. The work is menial and repetitive, the salary is ridiculously low and there is such low retention of staff, you will end up working many hours of unpaid overtime to keep up with the impossible workload, all for minimum wage and no progression.

poor pay. false advertising

first of all, if the job says paralegal or case handler. they mean debt collector. the pay is low and progression is rare and based on if you manage to befriend your manager. some managers do their job great and fairly, others will not even speak to you. i’ve shared about 5 words with my line manager and she did not even greet me when i started. so

Hardworking environment

A nice environment to work in. Days pass quickly and the work is varied. Lots of people always around if you need any support. Work hard and you will do well.

Fast paced with big work loads

typical day would involve a large pile of paper work along with high volume of stressful calls coming in to deal with. a lot of gossip and talking behind backs getting pointed in every direction when asking for help

Good Company

Shoosmiths is a good company to work for. The staff are very friendly and everyone is very helpful. The company’s welcome day is very good and gives you an insight into other departments.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shoosmiths. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement