Shropshire Council logo
Shropshire Council

Shropshire Council Employee Reviews in Shrewsbury

Good pension

Busy office but interesting work. Occasional difficult customers but easier to deal with as knowledge of the council's services improves. Hours of work acceptable as well.

Too many chiefs, not enough indians

Always criticised, no positive feedback. Management are full of themselves, look after each other even when they get something wrong, too many policies and procedures.

Pros

Free parking

Not well supported as a Newly Qualified

Hospital team not very supportive to new starters. Not a good team to work with unless already qualified. The supervision was not productive as it did not reflect on weaknesses and how to develop. No feed back as a net qualified on all observation of up to six months. The supervisor did not have enough experience on how and how to support AYSE candidates.

Great people working in difficult times

It's the local government! People are working to the best of their ability during lean times. Morale is low in some areas but overall the employees are creative, upbeat and keen to do a great job in the face of economic austerity. If you work for the council you have to be motivated by more than monetary reward. The hardest part is the cutbacks, meaning there are fewer resources (human and otherwise) whilst demands of the services are growing. The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely the people and team ethos.

Soul destroying

Management make it clear when they don't like you. Teams full of cliques that are cruel and eager to leave others out. Management quick to snap at you when they're having a bad day and you've done nothing wrong.

Pros

Used to be a stable job, but your job is always on the line with government cuts

Cons

Hours at your desk being asked where you are going every time you need the bathroom

Overall good place to work

Working for Shropshire Council is okay there is room for improvement but that can be said for any business, company or organiseation. One thing they need to work on is reliability and job security they start like most others promising they will make the Temp Staff perminant then once traing is finished say they can't due to cut backs.

Pros

Morning and afternoon paid 15 minute break

Cons

Job Security, Closed minded regarding improvements.

Educating

Works well around being a mum, rewarding working with different children. hardest part of your job is switching of and having a good work life balance.

steady abd reliable

I felt included and important it was often challenging sometimes it was boring great location to work in, nice places to sit at lunch varied offices, kept work interesting and taught me about the county I live in

Don't expect to hear back anytime soon

I have never been treated with such ignorance and unprofessionalism from an employer before working here. Took months to begin my job with no clear instruction on when I would start (In the end it took over 6 months from accepting the contract). This wouldn't have bothered me so much, if my management had actually been honest from the beginning and that I didn't need to make a living for myself. Later after the waiting and now officially working, I discovered that my induction wasn't paid for because apparently I failed to hand in a starter pack which I hadn't even received. This was eventually paid for after various enquiries, but months after my payslip was due. Finally to top it all off, despite handing my notice months ago I am still waiting for word off my higher ups that they have even received it, resulting in me having to contact head office and speak to them directly. As for the role itself, management barely spoke to me and were hardly supportive within my job role. Training that was promised in the interview was never provided and shifts left me feeling unfulfilled especially whilst having to deal with the situations as stated above. Hours were typically long with little to do unless it hit peak times. Only work here if you like 0 hours, not getting paid your rightful hours worked and not being spoken to like an actual human being.

Cons

No communication at all

Promised so much

Started off great but after the Council merged with Shrewsbury and Atcham Borough Council, If your face didn't fit or you didn't bend over backwards, that was it.

Pros

Flexi-time

Cons

Bad Management

Jobs at Shropshire Council

in Shrewsbury
See more jobs

Rewardingg place to work

Different service areas means working with a diverse range of people. Always an opportunity to develop, learn new skills, different challenges and projects.

Good work life balance

Fab workplace, look after the employees, flexi time. Good work life balance, management look after the staff well. Near the town centre and near major road for access

Diverse and fun workplace

Management was a bit disjointed, but otherwise friendly and welcoming. Work day was lenient but challenging, providing a variety of challenges if you needed something different to do.

Nice people

Good place to work as all of the departments are under the same roof and in the same building. However, there can be high caseloads and not all things transition smoothly. Great management/senior management team who are committed to improving things.

Pros

People

Cons

Hight turnover of staff

Loved Working here

Working with people who are vulnerable and usually ostracised by the general public. Spending time in police stations, courts, prisons and probations settings working with clients to try and get the root of their addictions.

Cons

not enough funding.

Fair and interesting.

Enjoyable and fair place to work. No day is ever the same as the last and there is always a new challenge to face. Senior staff are supportive and make help you achieve a work/ life balance.

lots personal development

Lots of training courses to develop skills Good Management support Good team to work in flexible working patern Bonus holiday days

Pros

Distance traveling

Cons

good team

Fast Paced Environment

Fast paced, high presure environment, pushing change against a board and senior management that were a little resistent. Working with a loyal team, that could get most things done. Working alongside some key stakeholders and suppliers to move to Cloud and Flexible workforce. Hardest part of the job were the hours (bizzare for local government), the most enjoyable was recognition by peers.

Pros

Change

Cons

Long Hours

Productive and fast moving work environment

Continuous change culture A public sector organisation facing unprecedented financial cuts that led t a pressurised working environment

Pros

Good pension and benefits

Cons

Conflicting and personal political views affect day to day work

Fun place to work, lots of support and it is always a busy day in the office. My day to day jobs are taking phone calls, scanning and helping to maintain the register

Excellent to work for and colleagues are professional in all departments

Shropshire Council are an excellent organisation to work for. My role means I work mainly in the community but it involves multi agency working.

Pros

Flexible working to meet the needs of the service

Cons

Due the Council Budget having to be cut vacancies are fixed term

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shropshire Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement