Simon Community Scotland

Simon Community Scotland Employee Reviews with Jobs

United Kingdom13 reviews

Support Worker

I moved to the Simon Community from another social care organisation. I always admired what the Simon community do so was looking forward to being part of the team and having a change.I very quickly realised that the culture and boundaries in this organisation did not meet my standards. Management in my opinion were not great amongst other things so I could not see scope for developing. Managers boundaries are also not great from what I experienced. I wouldn't recommend them to work for unless maybe you're new to social care and desperate for a job/experience!

Pros

Some nice staff team, decent annual leave.

Cons

Poor rota and work life balance, Chaotic services with a lack of boundaries and structure, Support workers expected to do more than they should due to flat management structure, No additional pay for festive public holidays, I could go on....

Supportive team

Empowered to be your own leader and there is a very team led supportive cultureOpinions are listened to and taken on boardFeel like you’re making a difference

Cons

Unpaid hour break which you aren’t guaranteed to get

Insights into Simon Community Scotland

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Support from manager
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction

Unorganised and Poor Management Communication

I don't know where to start, I'll just keep it brief. Poor communication and planning amongst senior staff members and lack of transparency with myself resulted in me leaving the organisation.

No two days are the same!

Having a Service lead who actually listens to their staff,takes on board new ideas and basically allows you to get on with your job without interfering or using their title as an opportunity to be a 'boss' makes all the difference and makes for a happy working environment in what otherwise can be a challenging and stressful role.No two days are the same but the ongoing training,development and support given prepares your for this and having a good team alongside who you can bounce off when having a tough day goes a long way to help!Definite requirements for the role are a sense of humour and thick skin!Sadly the pay doesn't reflect the job that we do but that's the downside of working in the Voluntary Sector.A very fulfilling and rewarding experience not to mention you really will meet lots of different people who do make you stop and be thankful for what you have!

Understaffed and under pressure

Clear lack in communication/guidance from management team. Very hostile.No proper debriefing after service user death.Poor rates of pay for the work carried out.Grand expectations of staff. Understaffed. Avoid at all costs

Pros

Some nice staff members

Cons

Incompetent Management

Great organisation to work for

Exciting place to work, loads of oppotunites, strong management structure, informal approaches, life changing for people they work with. Creative, approachable, they listen and are always changing with the times.

Oppressive Management Structure & Unprofessional Practices

Don't bother applying - let alone working - for this group if you want to make a difference to people's lives. SCS are merely interested in perpetuating their jobs. They do this by perpetuating the culture of drug use and chaos within the services. No boundaries 'whatsoever' and service users are giving the longest rope by which to hang themselves.

Great company to work for, leading the way in homelessnes in Scotland. Fast paced environments, trauma training, brilliant manager.

The staff at the Simon community are amazing people, working hard every day to combat social exclusion & homelessness. Nobody is turned away regardless of mental health or addiction issues. There are many service users who go on to lead fulfilling lives within a community. The managers are great, encouraging staff to make decisions and be the best they can be.

productive, good for experience

productive, good for experience.......... love the staff teams they work very hard and 100% deserve a pay rise......dont ever have a day the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emotionally & mentally draining

While they claim to care, staff are dealing with extreme situations with very little or no guidance or de briefing. They recruit full-time, part-time and relief staff and sadly the training, and commitment from the company is reflected in the pecking order. SCS will promise the world on a plate to suit your needs and think nothing of letting you down. And if your line manager moves on be prepared for a whole new set of rules, rotas and plans because theres no consistency.

Pros

Amazing colleagues

Cons

You're just a cog in the machine.

Good management

Very good management and support their workers. Very good structure for learning and development.Good day's out and social inclusion , great working environment

Pros

Training

Productive place of work,

Seeing people move on from my work into there own home, working with people on a daily basis helping them change there life for the better, giving people time.

Pros

Enjoy feel friendly

Cons

Nights and weekends

Sw2

The management currently are useless, inconsistent, and unsupportive. No consistency and dishonest practices regarding changing team meeting minutes to not include criticism of TL

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Simon Community Scotland. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement