Simpson Millar LLP

Simpson Millar LLP Employee Reviews

A typical day is arrival at the office at 08.30 and departure at 17.30 with a short break for lunch. I enjoy my role as a PI litigator. I have the skills and social acumen to keep my clients happy. I have learned that attention to detail pays dividends as does systematic and consistent file management. It improves billing and quality of service. Management is important to monitor and share information and case issues and to keep staff motivated and retained. The work ethic is strong but we recognise the need to relax together as well and to take time out from the regular day to day work issues. The hardest part of the job is generating new leads and new business. The most enjoyable is taking on a new case and identifying the issues to be resolved.
Pros
Subsidised canteen
Poor salary, no training stucture, poor management structure
Simpson Millar has had it's ups and downs but is on track for growing into one of the most successful consumer law firms in the country. We are in Year 2 of a 5 year plan and are growing at a rapid rate. This means lots to do and lots of customers to look after, it's all positive. Supportive management team are keen for people to be developed and there will be more opportunities for development as the business grows.
Pros
Supportive colleagues. Growing business with lots of opportunities to grow and develop.
Cons
You've got to work hard, if you're workshy then perhaps it isn't the place for you...
Currently employed at the Manchester Office where it has a great vibe, we are laid-back yet very hard working. All colleagues are lovely and welcoming. Management is great, good team leaders, great manager who runs a tight ship in order to hit targets. Every day you learn something new. There is nothing which is hard but as most workplaces, it has it's challenging and hectic days.
Pros
Great Colleagues and cool vibes
Cons
None.
Simpson Millar LLP in Wimbledon was professional at all levels yet a fun place to progress. Friendly staff always ready to give a helping hand. and give ideas on how the junior ones can progress.
Totally excessive workload, geared totally towards corporate profit. Towards end of time working for company highlighted suffering from stress to management. Minimal assistance. It's clear you are just a cog in the wheel and highly disposable. Business model would appear to be to take on as many cases as possible (far in excess of auditors recommendations) and treat paralegals akin to battery farm chickens. A system very much designed to exploit public money for every penny they can for the education firm wing. Avoid working for this company if you value your sanity. Legal exploitation at it's worst!
Pros
Cons
Excessive workload, heartless, dreadful uncaring management and supervision, profit over people, an awful place to start a legal career, high staff turn over
Simpson Millar is struggling to survive & therefore can’t afford to pay staff the market rates. There are no regular reviews, no benefits & no opportunities to progress. All the best staff have left. The atmosphere is flat & motivation low.
Pros
No culture of working late
Cons
Poor remuneration & risk of redundancy
They don't appreciate their staff management are a shambles - do things in long processes and don't listen to employee ideas team I worked with spent their whole time gossiping about everyone else! Very low salary Put their staff through big redundancy processes 3 times, the third time being announced days before Christmas break!!
Pros
The only thing I gained from this job was experience to lead me on to a much better job elsewhere.
Cons
Very low paid salary, judgemental, staff spend most of their time gossiping, picking on each other, a lot of office politics, Highly unprofessional, worst place I've ever worked, Regularly redundancies.
The workload was excessive, unappreciated by the management, and poorly renumerated. Turnover of staff is high due to inadequate supervision and high stress levels.
Cons
Excessive workload
Lack of growth forced closure and release of me from contract
At Simpson Millar I worked as a Personal Assistant to an Associate and Head of the CFA Department. My duties consisted of audio typing, updating and liasing with clients, managing her diary, liaising with referrers/medical agencies and defendants. I had a very strong relationship with my co-workers and still speak to some of them at present. The hardest part of the job was to make sure my boss kept to her deadlines and meetings. I thoroughly enjoyed this job for the 3 1/2 years I worked there. Being a PA/Office Manager is what I do best.
Pros
The Christmas Parties.
Cons
Getting out of work when the football was on at Trafford.
Hours were good, salary was excellent, all off the people i worked with were frendly and the manager was great. I wouldnt say there was a hard part to the job that i did it was all general office work and the most enjoyable part was just generally haveing a good talk with all the friendly staff who worked there
Pros
salary was excellent
Cons
dont have one
  1. Employee reviews