SJC Distributions Limited

SJC Distributions Limited Reviews: Working at SJC Distributions Limited

United Kingdom4 reviews

2.8Job security & advancement

Fast pace,

A typical day as a delivery driver for SJC, involved collecting the van from the compound, carrying out the van check. Driving to the Amazon depot in Totton where I would load the van. The good think with Amazon compared to other couriers the packages were in plastic boxes ready to go straight into the van. You don’t have to scan each individual parcel. You are given a standard phone to help you do your job, like scanning parcels, taking pictures and it’s also the navigation system that tells you where to go. It’s not perfect but with a bit of time learning it it’s ok. The vans are big and it took me awhile to get used to it but after a month or so I was used it and confident parking it. The routes are planned for and you don’t always have the same route. I didn’t mind that as I enjoyed working in different places. It can be challenging at times trying to find addresses, places to park the van, trying to get your round done in-time, how ever over time it becomes second nature. Sometimes some members of the public are T happy with where your parked, smile, apologies and don’t let it ruin your day. Pay could be better, don’t we all want to be paid more, The days are flexible but you are not always guaranteed them and you are on call but you are paid extra if you are called in. You need to be fairly fit as there’s a lot of getting in and out of the van, lifting etc I don’t mind it. Slept well when I got home. The job helped me get on my feet for 6 months whilst I was trying to get back into my previous line of work. . Summary. Fast pace, physical work, challenging, -

Amazon slave

This is just another amazon delivery job. The job itself will include long days and you'll be expected to be fast paced to deliver everything. Will be expected to leave everything and anything at peoples doors despite them being in or not. Everything based on a very biased points system which will in turn decide whether your given work or not. The only pro is there is no van, insurance or fuel costs. Amazon are in their power to change the day rate whenever they wish. Increasing during peak and Xmas then ultimately cutting it back down in Jan to an all time low.

Official response from SJC Distributions Limited

9 May 2022
Good afternoon,Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience. I would like to address some of the points that you have made.The routes are sequenced to be completed within 9 hours, 60% of the drivers are completing the routes within 8 hours. We don’t encourage drivers to leave any parcels in an unsecure location; as per your mandatory Amazon training, we would prefer them to come back to the delivery station. It is a fast-paced role, there is a lot of getting in and out of the van, which inevitably doesn't suit everyone. The company certainly doesn’t encourage drivers to fly through routes as this creates a greater risk for errors and fundamentally is unsafe for our DA's and members of the public.It's unfortunate, you feel the point system is biased. This scoring process is influenced by the weekly scorecard data we receive from Amazon, which reflects each driver's performance. Therefore, on the rare occasion where there are more drivers than routes, we use the scorecard to prioritise who will work. The remaining driver or drivers are on standby and will continue to have the opportunity to work other days they have requested. Drivers that need to improve their performance are also given the opportunity to attain additional training from Amazon, and our OSM team provide ongoing feedback and weekly coaching sessions as business as usual.Amazon does change the day rate. It increases for PEAK and drops down to the normal day rate in the new year. Thanks again for your feedback. If you have anything further, please send me an e-mail to sjcdistributionsltd@gmail.com

Insights into SJC Distributions Limited

What people like
  • Sense of belonging
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energising work tasks

Decent job for my commitments

Pros: organised and supportive management team, freedom to choose the days I want to work which was important as I have children and other commitments, new Mercedes vans and decent technology, didn’t have to pay for van hire or insurance like the other DSP I worked for which meant the day rate was actually as advertisedCons: couldn’t immediately start even though I had loads of delivery experience, took two weeks to get my training sorted from Amazon which was annoying as I had already worked my notice in my job before meaning I had no work for two weeks

Fast paced, demanding and unpredictable

Overall, the job works if you want flexibility as you are self employed, but days you choose to work aren't guaranteed to be given to you, as you may be put on 'stand-by'. Areas of delivery change so you may experience some really nice areas, with nice customers, then some tragically busy and impossible to park areas with higher danger risk. Risk of vehicle theft and road rage drivers. It's job and finish, but in order to finish at a good time, you have to work basically non stop and sacrifice quality of work. '1 stop' can be anything from 1 parcel and 1 location, to 20 parcels with 10 locations. So the day can be extended simply by the hidden errors in systematic planning, including some dangerous route planning involving back and forth turning in road. Pay is decreased after peak times which can be demotivating as the pay at peak times seems applicable all year round, as volume doesn't always decrease out of peak time. There's no annual leave being self employed so you have to work an extra week to gain a week off. No sick pay, or pension. If you phone in sick late the night before or the morning of work, you lose your following shift, so any genuine sickness is punished. The score system favours those who work more, as less time worked makes customer complaints decrease your score further, and it's all a game of luck as to whether as customer lies about receiving their parcel, so you may lose your job because of illegitimate complaints made against you. The overall amazon system puts pressure on management, to reach quotas, which in turn pressures staff and creates a high -

Pros

Work when you want, finish early you can go home, providing you aren't asked to help others, own boss.

Cons

Fluctuating areas and score system, increased volume and decreased pay.

Official response from SJC Distributions Limited

11 April 2022
Thank you for writing a review about your experience working with Amazon and SJC Dsitributions Limited. I'd like to apologise for the time it has taken to respond. In the two years the company has operated, we haven't had a review. The points you have made are valid, and I would like to address some of them.The job is advertised as self-employed, which comes with its benefits and downsides. The good news is that you can work whenever you want and you can also work for other companies while also working for SJC. The downsides are what you have mentioned: there is no holiday or sickness pay.Where possible, we try to ensure that standbys are shared among the drivers. When a stand-by driver is called upon, they receive an increase in pay for the days they have come in.To prevent the theft of vans and parcels, the vans are fitted with a self-locking mechanism, so when the driver leaves the van, it automatically locks.Road rage from other drivers is unfortunately common. We ask the drivers to drive respectably and to be polite and professional at all times, so as not to escalate situations. We understand that this can be tough at times, especially as energy levels are lower towards the end of the day.The pay rate is out of our control as it is set by Amazon. As part of the interview process, you should have been informed that it would drop after PEAK. We don't know what it will be until we are notified at the end of the year. A five-day-per-week diver who works for the full year, including PEAK, will earn CIRA £25,000 a year.The route is planned by a computer, and it's -

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SJC Distributions Limited. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare SJC Distributions Limited with

SJC Distributions Limited Reviews by Job Title

SJC Distributions Limited reviews by location

Learn about SJC Distributions Limited in popular locations

• SJC Distributions Limited
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?