Slimming World logo
Slimming World

Slimming World Employee Reviews

Slimming World

I love helping members lose weight and follow their dreams and succeed. However with more and more consultants coming on board and more groups opening all over it just not a good salary now to provide for my family.

Nice job poor pay

Very restricted on what you can and cannot do, not like self employed huge investment into franchise yet little in return even a ÂŁ750 fee to open additional slimming world groups once your qualified.3000 leaflets have to be posted every 3 months, banners, posters, press adverts all monitored, So much promotion you never stop! Its enforced too even boxing day.Monitoring, targets, training, and observations.All this and sadly slimming world take the biggest chunk. Must weigh in 75 to get 50% share of ÂŁ4.95 Commission is capped and earning for selling their products is 20p a box of hifi or 50p a book or mag yet you have to store, andcarry about.Really is sad how greedy the company are, loved helping people achieve their goals and built a successful group of 150 members but resigned after a year as it was a full time job with lots of meetings and out of group support but earning were part time at best.

Pros

Members, nice food on training

Cons

Pay, restrictions, promotions, monitoring, commission

A lot more work than told

The expect far too much of you and it takes over your life.Your self employed but don’t have the final say on “your” business! Hard to get time off as up to you to get cover. Lose all your bank holidays as they expect you to promote.Lots of meetings that you have to attend.Training is free but you have to pay for hotels, travel and food. Expensive

Started well but bullying and toxic

I absolutely loved my job for the first years I helped so many people and really felt I meant something to my team until my team developer started bullying me and making it so I was left out of the team and talked about me to team members making it so I was isolated. I tried to raise it higher and was ignored, I then got treated worse. This has made it so impossible to work there that I feel forced out of the company. If this was a company where we were employed this would have gone to a Tribunal but we are "self employed" so don't have a leg to stand on. The work/ life balance is shocking, its sold as you can work round your family but this is not the case. They guilt you when you prioritise your family. They expect you to drop everything to attend meetings with no notice. The amount of time you spend promoting that is not included in the working hours they advertise is beyond full time.

Pros

Helping people, seeing how happy weight loss means to members.

Cons

Long hours, 24/7 contact, no work life balance, bullying and toxic.

Not for the faint-hearted

SW is a franchise so consultants are effectively self employed although told what to do and say and how to act and give most of what they earn to SW head office. It takes about 6 months to break even from the initial outlay which was supposed to be ÂŁ1500 but is at least ÂŁ500 higher than that. Do not take this on and expect it to pay your bills because it won't. You will also spend more hours working than explained in the recruitment talk. For one group expect 20 hours a week of your time on prep, set up, stats, ordering and follow up actions. Expected to cover other groups when consultants absent across a wide patch and if you can't you are frowned upon. No support/solution given for threats or acts of violence against consultants other than a phone call. Unrealistic expectations to promote 4 times a year to keep growing the group even when area already saturated with groups.

Mlm

After being a very successful member, I was encouraged to become a consultant. Having studied human nutrition at degree level, I was very interested so I went along to an open day and asked lots of questions. Later I found that the response given to me for some of the questions were downright lies, and I wish that I'd recorded them. After my training and launching a mid-week morning group, I worked around 40 hours a week, promoting my group and keeping in touch with members... I earned an average of ÂŁ5 a week, despite consistently having the highest weight losses across the team; it's all about the numbers of heads through the door. One of the things that really stuck out for me was that almost everyone at training said that they hated their previous jobs: I didn't. I'd really enjoyed mine, and I was very successful, but I wanted a better work-life balance as I had a young child. I now have that: I work part time back in my old career as a real (environmental) consultant. I'd say about half of the 50-odd people in my training had quit within the first year, myself included. There will of course be those that are successful, but it seemed to me that the most successful ones aren't people that you'd want as your friends (one of my 'team' sent me a text to tell me that I was too posh to get a decent number of members and told me that I was leafleting 'her patch' despite being close to my venue.

Pros

Pyramid scheme - great if you're at the top.

Cons

Pyramid scheme

had work but can be fun

I worked very hard for 20 years and ran a gold group it took me a long time to see how hard I was working to line the companys pockets as the highest you can earn is 50 % of what you take in . Too many groups opened right by you diluting your numbers and slim world gave to free memberships halfing my annual turnover without being asked . Brainwashed managers and if you got a bad and one as I did a couple of times it made your whole job miserable ! no pensions , no holiday pay , no sick pay they get away with it by saying you have bought a franchise and its your own business but that was when it suited them as it was their business when they wanted you to jump and sign a contract to do all they said . There was a click and favourite consultants that got holidays , prizes etc I worked hard for 20yrs dont think they even knew I existed as didnt shout ... look at me ! .. from the roof tops like a crazy brainwashed person ! its all about think of your members and a play on your soft side to give up all your time , well no think of my family , I left them on their own at weekends too many times when they where little for endless drab meetings ! only wish I had left sooner to work for something that deserved my efforts like I am doing now . look at it as a hobby not a regular income job and with no benefits of a normal working person ! you might as well work for yourself in that case meaning no holiday , no sick pay , no pensions but 100 % of the money !

Excellent

A great place to work to gain knowledge into the fitness industry, allows you get work experience for the future and lets you help people who want to make a change in their life. It also benefits you because you know you are putting a smile on their faces whilst helping them.

Friendly and supportive

Work hard and you get rewarded for it sometimes the work home balance is not always good and it often encroaches into family time if you allow it but it is rewarding

Great job satisfaction

Flexible working hours to suit family life, fantastic job satisfaction, supportive management team and training team. You get out of the job what you put in.

Jobs at Slimming World

See more jobs

Very disruptive to family life

Pyramid scheme. Became apparent that your team leaders are only interested in the awards THEY receive for your endless hard work. Huge competition between fellow colleagues.

Pros

Lovely members

Cons

Always have to find money for trsining, travelling, promoting, advertising, the list goes on

awesome

amazing and so welcoming so helpful and caring never a dull moment my consultant is the best and she is very welcoming and caring as are all the other volunteers

Fun environment with amazing office space

There is an amazing culture at Slimming World. However on the negative side there can sometimes be decision by committee. I would recommend this as a great company to work for and I'm sad my contract is ending.

Perfect job

Loved the job but doesn’t pay well or suitable for a steady income- lots of work for little reward best pet is being there for people but to much pressure on numbers and not people feelings

Decent

The job is pretty mundane, checking people in on a simple computer system, taking cash and card payments, weighing people and filling out weight loss diaries.

Major changes

Working for slimming world has really been a rollercoaster. Mostly highs but more recently lows with its corporate mentality that seems to have taken the heart away from the role

Who's got your back?

There are plenty of consultants who have had a great experience within their role, but unfortunately it depends on the team developer and Area Manager you have as to what level of support you get and what empathy is shown to you. They come at you with bright lights and a dream but unfortunately, once they've been paid their bonus for you, you're on your own.

Fun

Self employed consultant - left alone to build own business. lots of leafletting involved lots of self promoting rewarding great for building confidence

Fun and enjoyable

Lovely team and lovely members. The culture is great. Everyonr believes in the plan and are awlays positive about everything. Noone complains. You wotk hard and you earn your money and have fun in your groups.

Pros

Minimal time actually in group

Cons

Cant switch off from work

Learning

It taught me the basics of work considering I was a child and my mum provided me with the work but it helped me understand how the company is run and why it's run the way it is.

Best job ever

Fantastic company to work for/with. They really look after and support employees. Very rewarding role, I'd recommend it to anyone. Varied, no day is the same

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Slimming World. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement