Slough Borough Council

Slough Borough Council Employee Reviews

This employer is very flexible and committed to their employees ensuring that the work timings are suitable for each individual employee relating to their situation. Their training is second to none and each employee is constantly trained on their work ethics.They have a union that anyone can join, an excellent pension scheme (superannuation) and good holiday entitlement. Progression within the Council is available when the employee is ready for it. It is monthly paid employment which is paid on the 15th of each month with London weighting available for all. My many years there was very much enjoyed and I would apply for employment there again if I needed to.
Pros
Car park available.
Cons
A service which is provided 365 days a year.
It was the most unfair place to work. Working for Slough borough council feels like being in some cult institution. The recruiting team need to let the work force shows as the community is. There are not enough mixture of culture but just one. I
Cons
The work place was a nice pleasant environment. Enjoyed my time there. The staff were friendly and the workload was easy to cope with. The management were understanding.
They are a good employer, but senior management puts so much pressure on the staff at the bottom. The volume is also insane and they will never have the budget to get the staff they need
Slough was a difficult place to work due to the nature of my job, children's services is a role which brings to the fore abuse and neglect if unprepared that could would be to much to handle
Normal working from 9 till 5 Teamworking and effective collaborations The management is very friendly and helpful The Council holds a strict dress code and no smoking policy on site.
Pros
Ongoing training and development
Cons
Sometimes you have to work the odd weekend.
If you like collaboration then the Local Authority is great, but it is a slower paced environment. The new offices and agile working is available, this will depend on your managers view of flexible working.
Good place to work, but chances of progression is very minimal. With the move to the new building, I do hope things get better. At the call centre, Managers treat employees like school kids
I really enjoyed my time working here because the work was streamlined and people were genuinely committed to their jobs and the needs of the community.
Pros
Flexible working; free car park
Cons
Cannot think of any
I was on a temporary contract here which continued to be extended. I enjoyed my work and worked with some really lovely people. The agency I worked for were not great but SBC excellent.
Not a good environment to work it's almost like you're back in primary education team leaders doing what they pleased I hate it It's almost like you're back in primary education not a adult work space
The workplace culture is accommodating and the management are fantastic well organise and good to work with, the hardest part of the work is you have to visit site on compulsory deed and is flexible to work there is part of the enjoyable deed you will get, fantastic and enjoyable to work with the management.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
complete the hour
Office Administartive work at a Childrens centre is fairly you act as the first point of contact for all those who enter the Centre. I learned to be approachable to all those I am I'm contact with.
I am an honest person, very accurately performs my work, I am intimate, without addictions, I quickly learn am never late for work, I want to move to lecester and gain new experience at work
Good
Cons
No cons
I don't know how much experience the staff have for interviewing others, but from my experience some of the questions they ask are ridiculous. I feel as if they only recruit internal employees and just waste external public time just so they look good on paper and seen as adhering to "equal opportunities". Its a shame because I know some people with so much experience yet they recruit others who do not even know the basics.
Pros
Salary is ok
Cons
Recruitment process is rubbish
fulfilled admin duties as and when required. Support the HR Team with the project that entails the re-organisation of existing and new jobs. Responsible for checking, typing and filing job specifications for staff at all levels. Extracting data from spreadsheets concerning job scoring and high level HR information and investigating possible changes that may need to be made. Updating existing spreadsheets with new job roles. Answering customer (staff) queries over the phone and e-mail regarding changes to job descriptions.
I’m not actually sure what company it was that I worked for. It was about 3 years ago. However, although the papers was delivered I got the pay check but was unable to travel at the time to cash it up. So I practically worked for free.
Pros
Local, you can do your job when it suits you
Cons
Long hours depending on route
Good opportunities but poor leadership which makes work harder than it needs to be. Lots of management changes, which makes it difficult to provide some form of stability for employees.
I worked at an outsourced company - Arvato, the quality is not the same as being employed by SBC. The call centre was outsourced and employee value was not great.
Currently working at Slough Borough Council has made me gain a lot of new skills and achievements. I have work amongst a lot of new customers and new departments.
From the moment that I started to work for the oocal authority I received training and support. I coverd areas in Housing services; from management to repairs, rents and eviction. I then went into Ciuncil Tax & Housing Benefit as well as assesment. My last 5 years with the Authority I was lead in the My Ciuncil in Schools Admissions.
Pros
We were trained and kept up to date with the current laws
Cons
Sometimes we were understaffed