Smiggle UK
Happiness score is 51 out of 100

Smiggle UK Employee Reviews

United Kingdom174 reviews

Draining to work for

Smiggle, despite branding themselves as a fun and upbeat company, drain their employees physically and emotionally. I constantly felt looked down on and was threatened with a smaller contract if I was to prioritise my education over my job (even though they assured me they understood education is more important). I was made to feel stupid for asking for easy accommodations when I fell ill for a while and they made me feel like I was to blame when I had to report a coworker for crossing professional boundaries.

Pros

The job would have been wonderful if it wasn't for terrible management

Cons

Management are awful

Fun workplace and productive

I have enjoyed my time at Smiggle as my contract was only temporary, which I wished i could've stayed longer. I got along with the manager really well, such a lovely person and colleagues were amazingly helpful :)

Pros

Breaks in between

Cons

Not many hours worked

Insights into Smiggle UK

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energising work tasks

Do Not Recommend

I was a supervisor and had worked in the store since it first opened.Pay was awful.Hours were awful.Management were awful.Stressful, overworked and not respected.They expected far too much for the amount of money that staff are paid.Marketed as a fun, happy place but staff treated awfully and most left with stress.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Management, Pay, Hours

Absolutely terrible

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING COMPANY do not work for them!! They treat you so badly , the managers are rude and expect you to do everything while they drink coffee and talk on the phone all day. They always find something wrong with what youve done no matter how hard you work

Pros

Absolutely nothing

Very slow

The other staff and manager at my store were lovely. However there are so few customers that the shifts really drag. Also you will be expected to work hours which you stated at interview you could not do, such as closing the store at 8.30 when childcare is a problem

Avoid

They offer terrible contracts, inconvenient working hours, poor pay, each store is a disaster. There is rarely customers so not good for anyone who needs mental stimulation.

great if you’re just getting started

good job for students as all sales assistant roles are 0/4 hour, although you will be expected to work during peaks (xmas & summer). if you’re looking for more hours you’re unlikely to get them unless you’re a supervisor. good for internal progression but once you’re in a management role it’s hard to enjoy days off as you will constantly be contacted if someone is sick/unable to work and even if you’re on annual leave too you’ll be asked to work.

Fun but not worth it

I come from a managerial background and wanted something different after taking some time out of work for mental health so went for the "person-in-charge" role at Smiggle. The interview was incredible casual, manager having a smoke while chatting to me before the actual interview. Offered the job there and then of an 8 hour contract. We didn't have an assistant manager at the time so given my experience, I ended up stepping up and working 40 hour weeks, running the shop with little training and no security with no extra pay.When I asked for more hours I was greeted with "just cover in other stores and get overtime". I didn't mind this and actually covered in 3 other stores in my area but the hours weren't guaranteed and travel costs took weeks to be reimbursed.I would often be expected to run whole days from start to close on my own including processing and putting away large deliveries, keeping the shop tidy and replenished and watching out for shop lifters. Had I been offered a larger contract or a higher position after basically being the ASM of the store since starting, I would have stayed but unfortunately the company, as with many others, values the amount of staff over the quality of their staff.

Ok

Ok the world was fast paced but the company do pay well and for the companies I have worked in management wasn't bad either just High expectations but thats it

Worst management I’ve ever had

I enjoyed the job in itself and working in a customer facing environment. However, the manager was horrible and hard to get along with. This ruined the job for me. Underpaid for how the manager treats you!

A good place for a student

A nice place to work as a student but they soon give you to much responsibility for your job title with no recognition. Need to offer better hours for staff

Pros

Lovely customers and colleagues

Okay company

I liked the company in the past and it was a fun place to work but then management changed it was full of gossip and bad vibes, the pay should be higher considering the amount of work expected.

Pros

Relaxed work place

Cons

Management responsibilities but shop assistant pay

I Worked for this company for 2 years and was never given a management role even though i ran their other stores in the area as a 'supervisor' when needed but was not considered one .Management responsibilities but still considered a sales assistant and paid minimum wage. No work life balance and the managers/area managers could contact you all hours of the day and request that you had to come in for a shift even on your booked annual leave days and non scheduled shifts.

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Lack of management structure and progression

Fun to work at with a real work family.

Really great place to work, good management and nice customers with a generous staff discount. Found a great work family where we all pulled together to make work fun and productive. Everyday was different and its nice to see those smiling faces when you match the products to customer needs.

Pros

Great staff, good management

Cons

Offer changes constantly.

Fast paced and competitive retail environment.

Fast paced and competitive retail environment with all the challenges that comes with that. Days are a mix of task and service but the service aspect really makes it as it’s mostly kid focused and you can bring a lot of joy.

Fun first job

Got to be good with children and visual merchandising, usually working with managers and a small team who are all lovely. Higher up in management don't necessarily care for you too much, but I think that's a standard with big companies. Good pay for under 23s

Pros

Good pay, limited XP needed

Cons

Not big contracts, usually 0, 6 or 12 hours

Nope

I just wouldn't, higher management lie and are incredibly sneaky. You constantly feel scrutinised because a product doesn't sit slightly to the left. Vm changes at a drop of a hat. Higher management will just turn up to train people in your store without warning and are rude when you question it.Will ignore staff who are more than capable to step into Higher roles then panic when they have no staff and then blame you. Very inconsistent!! Company cannot handle bad press, you will be expected to apologise even if you are the one being verbally abused.Refund policy is a joke

Pros

Cons

Read above

Lied to At Interview, Overworked, Underpaid and Under Appreciated

Gave up a supervisory position for a sales assistant job on the understanding I'd be put forward for a supervisor position after a colleague left.Management changed their mind, suggesting I become PIC (person in charge) first. Welp, someone else got that position who has worked there less time than me. No one from management has formally explained why, just mentioned in the store group chat Colleague is the new PIC.As a whole the company is numbers obsessed, doesn't matter if you're great with customers, replenishing stock or anything else. If your numbers aren't up to their standards you aren't doing well.

Pros

Cons

Constantly changing schedule, lying management, micro managed, too competitive, revolving door of staff

Don't even think about this one

Constant changes to be made, and when I say constant I mean daily. Expected to stay out of trading hours to do changes. Overworked and not appreciated even if the store is doing well. Expected to cover other stores because they are constantly understaffed. Not to mention customers are rude to you and leave theyr children in store alone to do as much damage as possible and you can't say anything. There are so many things to say about working here but seriously don't!!! I am a hard worker but the expectations are just ridiculous.

Pros

Cons

Overworked, underplayed

This job gave me a mental break down

oh where do i begin...-bad hours-bad management-makes mental health worse i am still in therapy thanks to the company.-no cameras in store so not once i felt safe.-too many shoplifters-end up traveling to different areas like Guildford or Woking cause other staff members are "unwell" -you end up working mon-sun not a day off at all

Pros

discount for stuff i guess..

Worst Managment

When I first started smiggle it was a really fun job, they teach you very quickly and the staff were really nice and understanding, but the manager of the shop was not. I am a hard worker, and he reduced my hours without telling me, constantly spoke to me with attitude and Not respectful comment. Sometimes would just ignore you. Even slagged staff off to other staff ! Poor management! Not understanding, I could go on

Pros

Just the staff was nice

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smiggle UK. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Smiggle UK with

• Smiggle UK
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?