Smiggle UK

Smiggle UK Employee Reviews

One of the main reasons I loved working at Smiggle was because of my team and manager their was just amazing girls! I stayed longer because of them! It was a fun place to work at but very busy and the management wasn’t really helpful at times.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Late shifts
This store is full of so much happiness and job it was a great Christmas temp job really enjoyed meeting new people and learning more about myself and what I enjoy with work.
Pros
50% off
Cons
Long shifts
It was a decent job for quick cash, but the environment was just strange.The manager was a bit of a man child and talked to everyone like children. Shop offers and sales changed daily, meaning it was borderline impossible to remember what exactly was in the deals of the day, and the constant changing prices. You were constantly pushed to hit targets that, on the often quiet days, was borderline impossible. And you were looked down upon for not bullying that rushing office worker into buying a journal and sand pot with her single ball point pen. There was an immense amount of pressure to constantly throw items in customers faces until they relented. If you had a twang of guilt or sense to stop after the fifth fluffy rainbow pen offer and just got the poor, cringing person their original items you would face the cold constant glare of your manager preparing a passive aggressive speech to encourage you to keep pushing these deals until the customer relents. That never sat well with me, this simply isn't a good place to work. Unless your freakishly jolly, okay with forcing deals upon deals down innocent peoples throat and are good at pulling teeth to get any conversation from your equally depressed coworkers.
Pros
10% off overpriced items
Cons
Terrible management and terrible work
Typical day, 100% STRESS they want you to do a weeks worth of work in one day and during that time you will be lone trading most the time.Pay is always wrong and payroll talk to you like dirt.Management talk to you like dirt and want you live and breath smiggle even want you to work through your breaks. I really don't recommend working for this company.
Pros
discount
Cons
Stress, low pay, lone trading, slavery, bullying
I loved every day of working for Smiggle! From the minute I started here I thoroughly enjoyed it. There’s a super friendly, relaxed, Aussie culture with every person you meet that works for Smiggle in upper management. You’ll learn loads of great skills working here!! It’s not for the faint hearted though (or lazy) - There’s loads to do and this is not a stand behind the till kind of job.. you need to be super focused, shop floor based, sales driven, highly organised and able to work under pressure in a very fast paced environment! There’s a huge amount of tasking and a real expectation for delivering only the best customer connection and experience! If you work hard it’ll certainly pay off, it’s a fab place to work and a really fun, upbeat working environment!! Loads of room for progression too!
Pros
Fun, relaxed Aussie culture, salary, progression, lots amazing skills to learn
Cons
Heavy tasking, lone working, poor communications sometimes, frequent last minute offer changes
No progression, they constantly feed you lies that your going to get a full time contract or progression when your looking for more hours but when a job offer comes up and you apply they say your not good enough. Overall no work balance either, constantly expecting you to be some robot at work.
Pros
Ok pay & lone trading
Cons
No progression 😂
Difficult job for lazy people. Must be hard working and motivated if you want to keep a job here. You must be helpful to others and willing to train others. It is not a difficult job other than becoming aware of wifi in certain areas and making sure you find a hotspot and not get frozen up on the hand held scanner. A good way to ensure that you can stay on top of your kpi of 200 picks per hour and staging of 200 units per hour. 18 parcels/boxes an hour on packing.
Pros
People, meeting people from around the world.
Cons
Not long enough breaks.
Actual store manager was good, but head office do not want to know and set impossible targets. They also use so much unnecessary plastic packaging in their deliveries and generally only offer small contracts.
Pros
Good student job
Cons
Head office show little respect for their staff
Starts off okay then quickly you realise... No progression opportunity - they want to keep you where you are No voice - no creative freedom or expression of opinion Too many operational tasks and not enough time for admin or actual managerial tasks Feel like a glorified Sales Assistant Expectations vs Reality is a joke Bonuses and Incentives completely out of reach and unrealistic No respect for long standing tenure Regional Mangers clueless about business and how each store work No respect for wellbeing,you can work without a day off for weeks
I loved my job at Smiggle as it was a great first job for a sixteen year old but they only offer four hour contracts which means that making money isnt the easiest unless its september or december.
Was a enjoyable place to be I only left to follow my passion working in the outdoors industry, staff were always friendly and helped whenever was struggling. Highly recommend
If you want a job where you’re working on your own 80% of the time, asked to constantly VM change & get penalised when people steal BECAUSE YOURE ALWAYS ALONE, then this is the job for you! Constantly saving hours so you’re loan trading a lot, I used to have someone with me for 3 hours of an 9.5 hour day, an hour of that was my dinner. So getting tasks done was near impossible, cause you had to grab stuff from the back & couldnt most of the time. Not the mention MOST STORES DONT HAVE A KITCHEN OR THEIR OWN TOILET!! You have to use the centres, all about money saving.
Regional manager was dreadful power hungry who looked down on anyone who didn’t embrace her vegan tree hugging values in life and criticised me just for wearing makeup
I find working at Smiggle enjoyable, the staff are all incredibly lovely. There is a nice culture of learning, you don't have to worry about not knowing something or doing something wrong because management are always willing to help you in some way. There is regular tracking and Performance Reviews which make improving and advancing easier. As long as you love talking to people, and you don't mind a fast paced, detail oriented environment, Smiggle is an easy place to work. The management can often work around schedules quite easily as long as you tell them with some advance notice, so that's a definite positive.
Pros
Staff Discount, Good Rotas, Lovely Environment
Cons
None really!
Worst 3 years of my life, instore teams were lovely and I loved the customers and could do the job well. But was constantly badgered on days off from regional manager and barely got days off. Minimal support when short staffed often lone trading all day. Awful company spent too much on expanding too quickly and now are paying for it. Mark up was extortionate on poor quality products which often were returned or exchanged. I would never go back or suggest anyone to work here. After 3 years of management I didn’t even get a thank you on my last day. Appalling.
Smiggle holds a special place in my heart as it was my first job as a sales advisor, I moved up to become a person-in-charge (supervisor) which I loved every minute of with my kind and supportive team. This role taught me so much about retail and visual merchandising and I am so thankful that my fantastic manager saw potential in me. There are lots of opportunities to work your way up in this company and to cover for different stores which allows you to get a flavour of how things are done with different teams! I really miss the fun times I had working at Smiggle!
I’ve been working as management for Smiggle for a year now and I couldn’t list any better job decision I could’ve made! My team & other teams around the region are so Friendly & Bubbly! , Progression is available always for people that want to grow and develop within our company. Smiggle is all about FUNky and Fun stuff so if your not that kind of person to like that, then the company wouldn’t be right for you.
I was only a Christmas temp but it was a great experience overall. You'd go in and be given a zone to patrol/ maintain for the shift. it was quite easy-going even when it was busy.
During my time at Smiggle I never had a boring shift and it was never too much for me to handle. The staff were lovely and I picked up product and store knowledge within two or three shifts. Customers were rarely impatient with me and I had an overall lovely time.
I could write an entire novel on how awful this company is to work for, and probably make more money than I get working for them! From working well above your contracted hours with little to no reward (40+ hrs a week despite only being a PIC contracted at 16hrs) and being laughed at/ridiculed should you point this out, to the blatant disrespect and rudeness from head office who treat you like actual trash, spy on you to make sure you're doing your job properly yet always manage to find fault with anything you do because all they care about is making money and opening stores. It's not worth a foot in the door, especially as you're selling overpriced, poor quality stationery to rich, rude and aggressive customers who are always right- they could stab you in the chest and you'd still have to apologise and give them a gift card for the grief. Perhaps the only positive is the team in that store, everyone is super lovely and supportive of each other (mainly because you're all in the same boat of being treated like trash) Seriously. This is the worst job. Not worth a second of your time. Theres no smiles and giggles here at Smigghell
DO NOT WORK AT SMIGGLE. I lasted 2 years and hated getting out of bed just to go there and be ignored, belittled and verbally abused. If they can get away with not paying you, they'll do it. I can't remember the number of times my pay was short, always by £100 at least. The regional managers and visual merchandisers are the reason the company is in such a mess due to their lack of organisation and communication- then they have the nerve to look at you with sympathy and say "oh yes this company's not very good" and then they'll berate you for not keeping up. Once when I was in work just after I'd had a death in the family, my VM asked how I was and when I told her why I wouldn't be at my best that day, she just said "oh that's not ideal" and kept tapping away on her phone without even looking at me. When I made a suggestion about how to stack some items on the shelf it was branded as pointless but when the managers from head office were in they did it themselves and passed it off as their idea. They were there to help us organise our stockroom- all they did was put some bottles on shelves and then go off for a 2 hour lunch whilst complaining that they didn't get enough money on their company cards. They left their snack wrappings and rubbish strewn across the stockroom floor. These people will only play ball with you if they like you. Professional procedure is ignored in favour of who is willing to brown nose them and suck up to them and throw in with their clique. On top of all this, you are expected to smile and welcome in the customers- rude, self-important - more...
Pros
relationship with sales assistants
Cons
everything
  1. Employee reviews