Smith and Western

Smith and Western Employee Reviews

United Kingdom59 reviews

shiftfoodbusystaffhourfreefriendlybreak

Would not recommend

Poor lazy management. They don’t care about staff. You are just a number. Tips are good but it’s minimum wage. Doesn’t matter how long you have worked there you will never get a raise.Management just stand around when it’s busy and expect you to do everything even when short staffed.

Amazing people and owners are great

Owners are amazing and love to have a chat if you need advice or anything is on your mind Monthly tips and wages every 2 weeks Never a dull day and people will always be there to help you out if needed

Insights into Smith and Western

Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

unfair treatment

worked there for 2 months started off front of house but moved to kp and was lied to about the reasoning. when you get along with people you can have such a great laugh but chefs and front of house staff act superior to you. there’s some nice management but most of them are unreliable and don’t take any of your problems raised seriously. everyone is allowed out for occasional smoke breaks without permission but kps have to ask even if they just want to go out for air. we were treated horribly asked to do 5 jobs at once then yelled at for being too busy to complete some. some staff drink on the job too

Awful

Wouldn’t recommend, literally not worth the stress, minimum wage and you will never feel less appreciated in your life, you’re treated a certain type of way depending on how long you’ve been there, you get ganged up on by those who’ve been with the company longer and it’s generally just draining

Definitely an interesting one.

I’ve worked at many places before smith and western and this has to be the most interesting one. The interview went great everyone was friendly and inviting, after that ever since my first day I haven’t felt very welcome from any of the management they didn’t really train me in anything and rarely gave me the time of day to help me if I was struggling, they talked a lot about them being a team but it didn’t feel that way to me the whole time I was starting there, everyone was helping eachother out but nobody really helped me. Most of the management as well was very lazy you’d always find them outside in the smoking area or in the staff area at the bar drinking cocktails during shift. Tips are good though

Pros

Good tips

Not a nice job

Nice colleagues but management is very poor and pay is even worse. Can be very stressful on busy nights. Not an enjoyable job at all especially when being paid so little

Pay

Pay is very poor most people are on minimum wage , however tips can be good if your a waiter. They live to make promises and never go through with them.

Pros

Free food on long shifts

Cons

Low pay, long hours at unsociable times

Amazing!

Lovely place to work thoroughly enjoy it get on with everyone there the management and the directors. Have loads of fun with people from all different sites.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Long hours but as you’d expect in hospitality

Clicky

Unless your in the popular group, or sleeping with managment...you will never progress. Very clicky, stressfull, dont get paid enough, products are cheap and un-nutritional. Can have bad practise of food safety in the kitchen.

Pros

Free food on shift

Cons

Everything elsr

Very good

from the get go it has been an amazing experience this is due to the staff being very friendly and very welcoming and also the way you are trained it is very in depth and they teach you a lot about customer service and how to deal with different day to day tasks which is very handy. i started not knowing anything about the industry but i now know a lot and i also have loads of new skills all thanks to the team and management that teach you.

Pros

free staff meals, great atmosphere

Great staff colleagues, friendly place to work

Love this place, I worked at Horsham, nice family feel, very approachable management, pay is average, would recommend to friends if they were recruiting for new staff.

Pros

Free meal whilst on full shift

Cons

Long hours, unsociable hours

Bad

It was terrible the staff were over worked and under paid you get paid every two weeks but the moneys so bad it never lasts you get wet if your a KP and expected to know everything with no training

Pros

Free food

Cons

Most things

Awful

If you love being screamed at, sworn at and completely verbally abused by chefs (especially the head chef) basically during any busy shift then this is the place for you... Oh and also working long hours without a break unless you smoke lol.On the days where you could have a full section of tables, and you’re trying to play catch up and the manager just wants you to get the tables out.. but doesn’t want to lend a hand, they just chill at the door and watch you. The pay is rubbish so you literally rely on your tips and even then once you’ve tipped out the bar and grill and bussers that takes a huge chunk of your tips.You get one single uniform.. so if you turn up mucky on the Sunday morning because you didn’t finish work till midnight on the Saturday so couldn’t wash your uniform.. then that still isn’t anybody’s fault apart from yours! I did make an amazing family of people when working here and is was only for that reason that I stayed because the actual job and the management that are supposed to look after you is really shocking and unprofessional.

Pros

Free lunches... if you were lucky enough to get one

Cons

Long hours, management

Fun, busy place to work

I came to work for Smith & Western after being made redundant after a long period of work. Smith & Western saw that I had lost some of my confidence and give me the opportunity to work for them. I have not looked back, lovely to work for a family run business that see you as a person and not a number. The company value the staff and invest time and money into their money, I have seen lots of success within individuals that have worked their way up in the company.

Pros

Fab food, friendly, busy

Fun, professional and career building

Working at Smith & Western has a family feel with a lot of opportunity to progress! I started as a KP (Kitchen Porter) back in 2018 and since then, I have become a chef and am now starting my management training. I can't believe how far I have come in such little time! We are busy often so that means the day is full of things to do, sometimes challenging but rewarding. I have always felt welcome here, both when I first started and when I have progressed to different roles. There is a certain buzz that is addictive here, it's a truly great place to work, I love it!

Pros

Shift meals, progressions, friendships

Cons

Long shifts

Fast paced and exciting company to work for

I loved working here and was sad to leave. I loved the fast paced busy atmosphere of the restaurant, there was never a dull day. The management were extremely supportive and inclusive of my medical needs. The hardest part was probably keeping up with the long hours as during peak seasons the restaurnt can be very very busy, but on the other hand this is also what made the job exciting.

Pros

Free Lunches and staff discount on meals

Cons

Long hours in peak season

Working at Smith and Western

Sometimes the staff/management can be a bit rude towards you but this was an affect of the busy period. Good place to work though. Many perks that come with the job like uninterrupted breaks and food.

Worst place ever

Work here if you want to be treated like something you scrap off the bottom of your shoe. The owners are money grabbing pinkies that couldn't care less about there employees just as long as you keep lining there pockets

Pros

There are none

Cons

To many to mention

Very social and fun place to work

I loved working and smith and western, Although the hours are long, the staff always make sure the shift is as fun as it can be. Weekends are very busy so if a fast paced place is for you smith and western is ideal

Unprofessional

Worked bank shifts behind the bar. Very unprofessional staff, swearing behind the bar in front of customers. Restaurant manager couldn't care less, lazy culture, more interested in cigarette breaks than actually working. Worked for 3 months, never recieved a pay slip despite asking multiple times. Never recieved the correct uniform.

Don't bother if you want a social life

Poor senior management. Tips unfairly shared. Very long hours. You must be available every weekend. No holiday's off (Summer school holidays etc). They charge you for your own uniform. Probably only decent thing about this job is free meal.. But you have to work 8 hour to get the free food. Don't bother... If you value your social life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smith and Western. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement