Smith and Western

Smith and Western Employee Reviews

Great staff colleagues, friendly place to work

Love this place, I worked at Horsham, nice family feel, very approachable management, pay is average, would recommend to friends if they were recruiting for new staff.

Pros

Free meal whilst on full shift

Cons

Long hours, unsociable hours

Very good

from the get go it has been an amazing experience this is due to the staff being very friendly and very welcoming and also the way you are trained it is very in depth and they teach you a lot about customer service and how to deal with different day to day tasks which is very handy. i started not knowing anything about the industry but i now know a lot and i also have loads of new skills all thanks to the team and management that teach you.

Pros

free staff meals, great atmosphere

Positive review

Very fast with responding to application.Store friendly,Managers friendlyOverall a great place to work, highly recommendedFlexible hoursAmazing staff

Pros

Free Training flexible hours Cute girls

Bad

It was terrible the staff were over worked and under paid you get paid every two weeks but the moneys so bad it never lasts you get wet if your a KP and expected to know everything with no training

Pros

Free food

Cons

Most things

Awful

If you love being screamed at, sworn at and completely verbally abused by chefs (especially the head chef) basically during any busy shift then this is the place for you... Oh and also working long hours without a break unless you smoke lol.On the days where you could have a full section of tables, and you’re trying to play catch up and the manager just wants you to get the tables out.. but doesn’t want to lend a hand, they just chill at the door and watch you. The pay is rubbish so you literally rely on your tips and even then once you’ve tipped out the bar and grill and bussers that takes a huge chunk of your tips.You get one single uniform.. so if you turn up mucky on the Sunday morning because you didn’t finish work till midnight on the Saturday so couldn’t wash your uniform.. then that still isn’t anybody’s fault apart from yours! I did make an amazing family of people when working here and is was only for that reason that I stayed because the actual job and the management that are supposed to look after you is really shocking and unprofessional.

Pros

Free lunches... if you were lucky enough to get one

Cons

Long hours, management

Fun, busy place to work

I came to work for Smith & Western after being made redundant after a long period of work. Smith & Western saw that I had lost some of my confidence and give me the opportunity to work for them. I have not looked back, lovely to work for a family run business that see you as a person and not a number. The company value the staff and invest time and money into their money, I have seen lots of success within individuals that have worked their way up in the company.

Pros

Fab food, friendly, busy

Fun, professional and career building

Working at Smith & Western has a family feel with a lot of opportunity to progress! I started as a KP (Kitchen Porter) back in 2018 and since then, I have become a chef and am now starting my management training. I can't believe how far I have come in such little time! We are busy often so that means the day is full of things to do, sometimes challenging but rewarding. I have always felt welcome here, both when I first started and when I have progressed to different roles. There is a certain buzz that is addictive here, it's a truly great place to work, I love it!

Pros

Shift meals, progressions, friendships

Cons

Long shifts

Fast paced and exciting company to work for

I loved working here and was sad to leave. I loved the fast paced busy atmosphere of the restaurant, there was never a dull day. The management were extremely supportive and inclusive of my medical needs. The hardest part was probably keeping up with the long hours as during peak seasons the restaurnt can be very very busy, but on the other hand this is also what made the job exciting.

Pros

Free Lunches and staff discount on meals

Cons

Long hours in peak season

Working at Smith and Western

Sometimes the staff/management can be a bit rude towards you but this was an affect of the busy period. Good place to work though. Many perks that come with the job like uninterrupted breaks and food.

Worst place ever

Work here if you want to be treated like something you scrap off the bottom of your shoe. The owners are money grabbing pinkies that couldn't care less about there employees just as long as you keep lining there pockets

Pros

There are none

Cons

To many to mention

Very social and fun place to work

I loved working and smith and western, Although the hours are long, the staff always make sure the shift is as fun as it can be. Weekends are very busy so if a fast paced place is for you smith and western is ideal

Unprofessional

Worked bank shifts behind the bar. Very unprofessional staff, swearing behind the bar in front of customers. Restaurant manager couldn't care less, lazy culture, more interested in cigarette breaks than actually working. Worked for 3 months, never recieved a pay slip despite asking multiple times. Never recieved the correct uniform.

Don't bother if you want a social life

Poor senior management. Tips unfairly shared. Very long hours. You must be available every weekend. No holiday's off (Summer school holidays etc). They charge you for your own uniform. Probably only decent thing about this job is free meal.. But you have to work 8 hour to get the free food. Don't bother... If you value your social life.

Wouldn’t recommend

Upper management appalling, pay awful. Not worth it, go elsewhere. Staff are friendly and managers are friendly, the area manager when I was there is vile

Overall good place to work

Friendly staff and good benefits, long hours but that is expected in this specific industry which in tern means you get better pay at the end of the month

Dependent on where

While working there I was under 18 and was always being sent to a completely different town to work in a different restaurant and work 14 hour shifts because of staff shortage. Even tho I didn't drive and wasn't legally allowed to work those hours neither restaurant manager cared at all as long as they had staff, you are treated nice until they don't need to anymore.

You have to live and breath smith and western

I worked for the company for over fifteen years and they became more and more money obsessed. Nothing was good enough. You could move up in the company but your job was on the line as soon as you did. They are a great family run business so long as you're willing to be a family member for LIFE! I wasn't and no one talks to me now!

Waste off time

The managers don't explain everything to you some off them seem to feel power hungry towards some off the stuff uniform extremely uncomfortable breaks are very inconsistent and very little communication between managers

Fun people to work with.

Range of hours available. No expirence needed as they provided training. Good to start of a career is hospitality. Constantly changing team. Can be very busy and lots of pressure.

Terrible job

I was a Kitchen Porter here for quite some time (in comparison to how long others lasted) and absolutely hated it. I put up with it at first but after a bit grew very unhappy with management and the culture there. Firstly, there always felt as though there was a culture of front of house staff thinking they were superior to back of house staff. Secondly, despite asking time after time if there was any way I could advance in my work, no steps were ever taken to help me work my way up. The managers weren’t great either, and the behaviour and attitude of the head chef was the main reason I decided to leave. Shifts went on for what felt like forever with barely any promise of a break, and staff food was only offered if you were working all day. All in all, working here is not worth it, especially for the measly pay rates.

Pros

Free lunch if working all day

Cons

Unreliable hours, rude management, bad culture

Great place, very busy

I have worked for this company for a long time and they have been very helpful and supportive to me. They are a great place to work for. I would happily recommend this place to anyone else.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smith and Western. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement