Social Security Scotland

Social Security Scotland Employee Reviews

So the slogan is dignity, fairness and respect and they would have you believe that people come to work here to help the people of Scotland...wrong people come to work here to boost their ego and jump 3 grades purely for the money so the agencies foundations are built on ego and greed what a good start. Start asking yourself why other government departments didn’t promote individuals who you have now promoted to senior managers in a very short space of time, something just doesn’t quite add up. You have now absorbed the staff that other government departments wanted rid of and people who would not cut it elsewhere and it’s happening on a daily basis.
Pros
The pay
Cons
The calibration of staff they continue to promote
The job started out well but then turned into a different story. At first the support was good and we were told that there were many opportunities for career progression. It soon became apparent that the way to progress was to have someone higher in the agency who could write your applications for you to ensure you were at an advantage as they knew exactly what they would be looking for. Nepotism is rife! Very talented staff are being left behind and dejected whilst having their workload increased to unmanageable proportions without any remuneration incentive. Those who step up to help are certainly no better thought off. The idea of dignity, fairness and respect does not seem to cover staff on the lowest grade who are treated more like minions.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Being treated like a minion
Undignified, unfair and disrespectful is what this agency is although they try their best to brainwash with their opposite touting slogan. Nobody is experienced enough to train or manage anyone and the whole agency is a shambles, most especially their SPM computer system that breaks down continuously. Client Advisors are treated and spoken to like two year olds, made lockdown even more unbearable,, and the clients continually fobbed off when they call in about their benefit claim. Dreadful place to work.
Pros
None whatsoever
Cons
Stressful and confusing
I have worked in SSS during the pandemic and it has been the worst experience ever! Management and guidance are non-existent and the support is nothing short of appalling. Mental health issues among staff are rife and we are being made to work through a huge backlog while fobbing of customers with lies and false promises. This is the worst job I have ever had and I am v anxious every day!
I worked with this agency within IT during 2018 for a short time period. To say SSS was shambolic is a gross understatement. Half of our team quit in the first few months, due to poor Management and unfair treatment of staff on fixed term contracts. The confrontational, hostile atmosphere was very belittling.
The work can be challenging at times but we are in a fully supported environment. The managers engage with all the staff on a level I’ve never seen in another workplace. They aren’t locked in offices but are out with the advisors seeing our work for themselves and importantly, asking for our advice and input. the agency is still relatively new, we are all working together to shape an amazing service for the people of Scotland.
I was in my previous Civil Service Department for 30 years and felt I didn't have the confidence to change jobs. However after some friends and family members who already work there told me about how good it was to work in Social Security Scotland I decided to bite the bullet and apply. I am so glad I did, it is honestly the best thing I have every done and wish I had done it long before now. I was made feel so welcome from day one and now feel as though I have been here for years. You are constantly encouraged by the Line Managers which is a great boost to your self-confidence. Also there are always training courses being run to help enhance your skills. It is a lovely atmosphere to work in as everyone is happy in their job. This has got to be the best place I have ever worked and I would definitely recommend joining Social Security Scotland.
I really enjoy working at Social Security Scotland. I previously worked in DWP as a call handler where i was extremely stressed and moving here is the best thing I've done. The management are very relaxed and you don't feel like you're unable to approach them, it is very much like everyone is one team working towards the same goal. There is lots of opportunities for promotion, sometimes temporary promotion which is good as you can see if you like the job before actually applying for the post - anyone can apply for these as they're posted on a intranet site, not just earmarked for specific people like it was in my previous jobs. It is exciting to work for a new agency who is building it's workforce and bringing out new benefits for the people of Scotland.
My experience since joining Social Security Scotland has been really positive. They really do live what they say "Dignity, Fairness, Respect" and it is up to all employees to be accountable for that. Everyone is very supportive and, as a new Agency, we are all learning together. A really diverse range of people and life experiences helps to really make the agency buzz.
I have enjoyed my time at Social Security Scotland so far and I have been working here for over a year now. Everyone is positive and happy to work together and there is a great work culture. Management are involved and engaging. There are excellent development opportunities since the agency is so young.
Pros
Excellent development opportunities; friendly staff
Cons
Long time between applying for the job and starting the job (but worth the wait)
Social Security Scotland is a great place to work, the role is challenging yet incredibly rewarding. The agency only opened in 2018 and is still growing, there is lots of opportunites to progress within the agency. I have seen how the agency has grown. The management are all very approachable and this includes Senior Management who are always willing to stop and chat. There is loads of learning and development opportunites acropss the agency and Scottish Goberment as a whole. The most enjoyable part of working here is the fact that we are helping families and people all over Scotland which is so good to see.
I was very optimistic about starting my new role in April 2019, as a Client Advisor, due to this being a 'brand new agency with a much touted tagline of Dignity, Fairness & Respect'. HOWEVER, fast forward 9 months and each and every day is a chore, due to grossly poor management, freshly plucked from DWP/HMRC and an anxious and stressed out workforce, with a culture of very low morale. The place has a toxic culture and any chance of promotion is purely based on 'not what you know, but who you know' or indeed if you are willing too bootlick for 37 hours a week. The Management are clueless, with the focus being on 'enforced fun' instead of business critical matters. Some colleagues state that it was good at the start when the place first opened, although almost everyone I speak to wants to leave, as they are so disengaged. The place is so disorganised and even with the fact there are countless meetings, hardly anything is ever achieved. I waited 7 months to get started and application updates were non existent and no one really cares, but that will not stop them providing you with lip service to justify their position. Awful place to work and hope to leave very soon!!
Pros
Home Time
Cons
Shift Time
Really exciting place to work. We get the opportunity to be involved in the shaping of a new benefits system which benefits the people of Scotland. I get a real sense of satisfaction in my job, even after a busy day. The culture is flexible, friendly and fair - and the people I work with I consider friends.
Social Security Scotland has great opportunities for those who want a challenging and rewarding career. It is an engaging workplace and has many opportunities for development.
Social Security Scotland is a great place to grow and develop your skills while managing a varied workload that helps deliver benefits to people that need it.
I have worked in Social Security Scotland for around 2 years now. I came in as a modern apprentice and have loved every bit of it, it is a great environment to work in.