SOCOTEC UK Limited

SOCOTEC UK Limited Employee Reviews

Avoid if you can! Pay is absolutely atrocious for the amount of work you're expected to do. The glass ceiling is real. Very little chance for advancement.
Cons
Long hours, bad pay, little to no opportunity for advancement
If you want to work back in the 80s where there’s no room for banter and verbal bullying is accepted even though you report it to management then, this is the company to work for. Promise the world to you....Chances of progression in the company zero. I honestly don’t know how they keep some of the staff there, who bust there guts off for just over minimum wage while the management are sitting pretty.
Pros
Cons
Long hours minimum wage
I would’ve rated this company zero stars had I been allowed to rate no stars, management are on a constant power trip. Always being pushed to submit results in unachievable dead lines (management double book capacity and question why deadlines aren’t met). Pay is absolute peanuts, with no indication of progression or advancement despite following managements advice for progression. Instrumentation not up to spec for ANY methods. Hypocrisy on policies, lab technicians are subjected to full force of management whilst seniors seemingly get away with breaking policies. Management and seniors behave unacceptably and disrespectfully to anyone below them, treated as a disposable staff member. You won’t be valued here, once management are done with you they will toss you aside. Avoid and steer well clear.
Pros
Cons
The company
From the minute I joined SOCOTEC I have felt supported, both personally and professionally. The management care about their employees and the working environment is professional yet friendly and relaxed. The team culture is really strong and everyone looks out for each other, with managers accessible and easy to talk to. Training and development is actively encouraged and supported and there are always opportunities to develop new skills or refine existing ones.
Pros
Supportive management and team, good opportunities for development
Cons
No professional manner in the workplace, only focused on production in analysis of samples and have no progression within the company. Lab technicians are treated like students, a lot of discrimination within management in regards colour of your skin and get treated differently. The labs are not clean at all there is no proper safety measures taken always compromises made if something needs looking at. Do not work in SOCOTEC its a scam to call it a professional lab work place.
Cons
Long hours, no additional benefits within the company
In the current time working here I have learned a vast amount of info in this field through the testing we carry out. My day at work includes checking the work in progress files, finding the specific samples needed for whichever testing I am performing on the day, preparing the samples in the correct way, undertaking the specific testing required, processing the results and then sending them to the admin team ready to send to the clients. Training new staff in specific testing when needed. Assisting other staff members with any help I can.
Pros
Good working environment, friendly staff, onsite parking, canteen, numerous testing available to lewrn
Cons
Poor pay rate, not much help in progressing in this line of work
I worked for a year at SOCOTEC in Thame. The place used to be run by good, smart people, now it is run by Psychopaths. The turn over rate is proof. All the good people have left.... These people have no morals, they are not professional and all they care about is the MARGIN. I am a chartered scientist and water treatment specialist. I made numerous contributions to the company which I deeply regret. They were not worth my time or nerves...
Socotec is most horrible and awful company to work for. Managers have no morals and the company lacks the sense of professionalism. If want a better career and a brighter avoid Socotec.
Socotec UK Ltd is one of the leading companies in its sector of operation, but they need to look into certain areas that requires improvement such as Job culture/ethics and staff benefit/compensation. Possibly these areas might have been addressed by now.
Avoid , avoid , avoid Pay is terrible !! expect you to work all hours and don't like paying. Wage was absolutely horrific knee deep in waste sampling and if you come across needles still expecting you to Carry on even when no training as been issued to you to remove them MN if you want to be treated like a mug then go ahead and work for this company
My interviews, offer and pre-employment communication was really good. My induction was comprehensive and I felt very welcome. I was introduced to my immediate team and the wider team, and shown everything I needed to know. The Company are committed to promoting a positive culture, and there are lots of people who have been with the company for many years and have progressed and developed their career. Overall a really friendly team, very professional, safety conscious and a lot of scope to develop.
The worst part of the job is the amount of concrete you must testing on site construction. They give you training,van and equipment. Salary is not very good but you can earn more money by doing overtime almost every day and working Saturday's and Sunday's they pay double.
I have never worked in such a horrible environment, both in terms of the workplace and numerous staff working there. Management are extremely rude and verging on incompetent. The morale of staff and their mental health is unlike anything I have seen before (not in a good way) due to how horribly they are treated. Bullying and harassment is rife at SOCOTEC. Avoid this place like the plague it is disgusting
Spent 50% of the time at the office for the first 5 months, no way of learning anything via calibrating devices in the workshop, when you should be on site. Don't know about Stockport or Romford, but Cirencester office absolute no interest in teaching you anything, very disappointed. Regretting moving to this area to end up like this
Overall work was fine, but constant harassment from the managers made the place a nightmare to work, everybody there hates their job and i cannot blame them.
A good place to either start your career or gain valuable experience. Because of the high turnaround of staff, a person could learn a lot in a short time frame as they will pass from one test to another in a matter of months. There are flexible options for working hours and management is overall understanding and helpful. Pay is a little poor, however, well within the range of big companies.
Can't Fault Management - the trust and level of respect I've received has been incredible. The office environment is exactly what I was looking for. something where all the team have equal treatment and a relaxed approach whilst still being trusted to work hard and complete tasks required.
Awful Management who think they are infallible. False promises made to Account Managers in regards clients and expectations. Terrible working environment with miserable staff in the office. Working morale amongst staff is low, this is reflected by the high staff turnover this company has. Awful people and the pay is worse and not comparable to the current market!
Worked there for 6 years good set of lads and very easy job. Other than that pay is poor and the expect the world for that pay. You could do all the training they have to offer but your rate of pay wont budge.
Pros
Work van
Cons
Long hours. Poor rate of pay that doesn't go up.
I used to work in the specialist chemistry department at Burton. Morale was rock bottom, equipment not fit for purpose, fume hoods not fit for purpose, health and safety non existent. The management, including lab managers were less than useless and were only focused on so-called turnaround times which even meant reporting blank reports with no results to clients so as to "meet the turnaround time." Experienced and knowledgeable staff were subjected to witch hunts where false accusations were invented by management which resulted in high stress levels and even a nervous breakdown. The majority of staff were actively looking for alternative employment. Most staff on very low pay (minimum wage) with the odd ones on over 30k doing the same work. Avoid this place.
Cons
I have worked with SOCOTEC for just over 2 years and can confidently say I enjoy my role. There is a great team of people to work alongside both within the office and throughout the business. There can be challenging moments but at the same time, you are acknowledged and appreciated for your hard work which makes it much more rewarding. Great management who have supported me, and still are, during my role and my progression within the business. Overall a great company to work for and no negative comments to make.
  1. Employee reviews