SOMERSET CARE

SOMERSET CARE Employee Reviews

I would have stayed, except getting holiday was almost impossible. I enjoyed driving around and having the opportunity to make a difference in my own way. I wish they would sort out their management. The training was good.
Pros
I was a "real" job.
Cons
2 shifts in one day, far too long. Getting holiday booked was a nightmare.
I enjoy working for Somerset Care, there is plenty of work available. The clients we support are so lovely, my manager is always on the end of the phone if I need something and everyone is polite and friendly.
Pros
Plenty of hours
Cons
Pay rate could be better
They tell you residents come first....that is only on paper in reality supervisors and management pressure you into conforming to time schedules regardless of the residents needs.never enough staff to truly care ..on the floor staff are good but we are all defeated..no point complaining ..you've got a target on your back.until somerset care truly stand for what they claim I will not be swayed...ive seen it first hand..power hungry ..self preservation... no morals
Pros
The residents
Cons
Lack of respect and care ethics
I will say if you fancy a life in caring don’t be put off by the review. I’m reviewing the company not the profession. Fabulous supportive team members.Fabulous work ethics within the team.Fabulous clients. Fabulous job.SUCH A SHAME THE MANAGEMENT AND PLANNERS ARE INCOMPETENT.Constant changes to your work plan that’s if you’re lucky enough to get the next days run before 9 or 10 o’clock the night before! But don’t take it as red as likely to change,even mid round!Don’t bother with your availability as you WILL get lots of lovely texts and calls asking you to work on your days off. Don’t bother turning off your work phone because you’re personal phone will only start ringing and pinging.DO track your own mileage. DO tot up your hours remembering you ONLY get paid contact time and travel time to the next client. They love to give you 20 mins travel to do a 4 or 5 min journey.DONT bother sending in your expenses, you won’t get it.DONT bother logging the OT including doing the mandatory HUB training,you won’t get it.States guaranteed hours in the advert?!I can guarantee you will get gaps in your run. Go figure as always understaffed.Changing PPE policies to suit then lying when caught out.NO SUPPORT AT MANAGEMENT LEVEL. POOR COMMUNICATION.NO COMMUNICATION -MANAGEMENT LEVEL WITH OTHER DEPARTMENTS AND VISA VERSA.Such a shame
Pros
Lovely team lovely clients
Cons
See above
I found Somerset Care to all round be a company that is solely interested in profit making and money orientated. I had a lot of offensive comments made to me which was overlooked by every member of staff. Jobs was not done as they should be and residents life's were impacted by this. Not looked after and mental health plummeted due to this. Awful workplace. Awful attitude.
Pros
Always over time available.
Cons
Long shifts. Bullying in the work places.
Management was appalling and not responsive to your needs. Would make you work ridiculous hours then reprimand you for taking time off due to being overworked and physically and mentally exhausted. Did not ask what they could do to help but instead just go straight to dismissal. Most of the co workers are lovely but some get away with anything and talk to you with no respect. Majority of clients are lovely which is the only pro I can think of.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Management, long hours, rubbish pay, no support
The care homes are busy and short on staff always. It can be stressful as senior staff and managers do not have the time to speak to you, unless you have not placed a towel in a room...then you have a review. Being short on resources means that the staff are pushed to the limit and have duties that constantly change. I really would not recommend the company.
Pros
parking available in most homes
Cons
Staff are ignored and not taken seriously
Terrible management who were really only interested in making their life easy. If you spoke to hr they consulted with the management who then made your life even worse. They pretend to have an ethos of supported living but in reality are only interested in the companies image.
Pros
Some good colleagues
Cons
Company should be called Somerset don't care. care .
Head office especially.. no support, no job progression available. No thanks for working hard. The pay is very poor for what is involved. Most of the residential homes are lovely places but not a nice atmosphere to work in.
Pros
Lovely residents.
Cons
Head office, management & salary.
I worked in the community looking after young and old clients with some clients being severely disabled. I started off doing personal care then food and fluids prompt meds good rate of pay very friendly people to work for
Pros
Lots of training and courses
Cons
Having to travel long distances between calls
I currently work for Willows within somerset care. I have been given the opportunity to grow and now am a deputy manager. Have the up most support from everyone around you. Job satisfaction every single day knowing you are helping the vulnerable.
Promised things at interview which didn't materialise staffing always a big issue staff mix isn't good Pros- residents are happy and looked after management is okay although they don't sing from same hymn sheet
Without doubt the best job I've ever had. The residents are lovely and I get on so well with all the staff. Regular hours and overtime available. I've honestly never been so happy in my work as I am here.
Pros
Lovely staff (who I consider to be good friends), good management and lovely residents.
Cons
Nothing that I can think of.
I had an easy interview... I've had past experience with care which helped. The induction when I went to get uniform etc was rubbish. My area manager was not there just another one from another area. Who was good but not for my area. He was the other girls manager. But always helpful to me. My area manager has now left.
I joined Somerset care as a specialist care practitioner. I must say the training is poor, along with their direction. My role was much more of a care manager role than a senior role. The carers are given little compassion and support, the constant harassment to pick up extra calls is obscene and the base is just very poorly run.
Staff friendly and helpful management poor rude and unhelpful always under staffed training poor long hours to make a good wage as hourly rate low no rewards for what you do i wont work for this company.
Pros
Job for life as always short staffed
Cons
Poor management
I worked at Somerset care for 6 months and leaving that job was the best thing I could do for my mental health. The interview process made me feel like i would be valued as part of the team but that quickly became not the case. Before you start you have to do a welcome day in Taunton and training days at your training centres which for me was Devises, after driving to these locations for me was cost me about a tank of petrol I later found that they wouldn’t reimburse me for even though I was told I would be on my first “welcome day”. When I start working there at first the work place seemed happy and friendly but quickly I found environment was cliquey and there was lots of back stabbing and people being very two faced. I found there was a lot of blatant favouritism and brown nosing, it was borderline impossible to have a conversation with anyone without being derogatory to another co worker. I expressed a lot of interest in doing an NVQ but this fell flat, The NVQ assessor made me feel uncomfortable and put me off doing it because of the way she spoke to me and acted around me. I was made to feel very much like I was very replaceable and unwelcome, I often felt like I was working to one set of rules and other people had other rules. Lots of the shifts were under staffed, I remember looking through a months worth of rotas and not being able to find one that was fully staffed, also the shifts were only 7 hours long so going from an 8 hour working day on a 5 day week you would lose 5 hours a week which equaled roughly £40. When I started I had no choice in my days off - more...
I feel that for handymen at Somerset care is a big responsibility they are to maintain the whole building and make sure things are running right within the building, and the wage dose not reflect on what we have to do and I feel they should increase the wages for that role because minimum wage doesn’t reflect on what we have to do it’s a massive responsibility to look after big homes or any home.
My desire is make sure the inveiloment I will work for must look clean and I will make cooperate with my all work meets as well as management at the company
I loved working with somerset care, the team were amazing, the residents were lovely, made me want to come to work. I was very happy to come to work and looked forward to it. Was very pleased by the end of my shift as i knew i had helped someone out during the day/evening.
Manager was terrible and they brush things under the carpet. There is progression if you knew the right people. Training was very good but although training good they did not follow the confidentiality policies
  1. Employee reviews