SOMERSET CARE

SOMERSET CARE Employee Reviews for Healthcare Assistant

I love giving people high quality care, and find it very rewarding, however working in a Somerset care care home I did not feel I was physically able to do this. Extremely fast paced and hard work, did not have time for each resident. Struggled to get all the work done in time. No emotional support when a resident passes away, do not have time to spend with a resident who is end of life. Poor wage. I find myself very stressed and anxious when at work.
Staff friendly and helpful management poor rude and unhelpful always under staffed training poor long hours to make a good wage as hourly rate low no rewards for what you do i wont work for this company.
Pros
Job for life as always short staffed
Cons
Poor management
Will always pay the minimum they are legally required to, whilst they charge residents the highest they possibly can. Often an excessively High workload, e.g., on new years day many staff called in sick, so the ones who did turn up had to do 4 Times the work load, this would have saved the company money, but the unpaid wages of the ‘sick’ staff was not shared at all with the staff who picked up the brunt of it. This reflects the general lack of spirit in the company, most of the staff are friendly and helpful though.
Extremely hard working conditions with little if any support. Critical comments on the things you don't manage to get done instead of possitive comments or thanks for all the hard work you do . Always short staffed. Extremely stressful thankless role.
Pros
Most staff work as a team giving support to eachother
Cons
Poor pay, no benefits or bonuses, workload
Organisation is key Management seem to be fair, not very flexible though if you have kids When you lose a resient whether you have just met them or known them for a while. it is never easy either way Enjoy listening to the residents life history
Pros
you get paid for training and they provide cost for DBS
Cons
long hours, pay deducted for breaks
Wasn’t the best company to work for. But great team which always made the job better. Fun at times and always busy which made it hard but very rewarding at the same time.
I loved the actual daily duties Very fulfilling very worthwhile. If you want flexible hours, sort them from the onset as can be difficult to rearrange at a later date work load and timing expectations unrealistic
Pros
very soul rewarding
Cons
workload and timings unrealistic
Where to start this is the worst company I have ever worked for and has left me totally exhausted. You have no support from the office and your expected to work 7 days a week we are only a number to them. The staff in the office are constantly on the phone asking you to pick up extra calls and if you say no your treated like dirt. They are quick to pull you into the office for negative feedback and supervisions but never praise you for the things you’ve done good. Management are a total joke they have no compassion or empathy for the staff let alone clients. If they are unable to cover a call they cancel it but still manage to charge the client and as for Christmas don’t get me started forget it cause working for this company means you have no family life . Staff constantly leaving but nobody asking why . Do hope this information has been a great help .
Pros
Cons
Not for profit company ( seriously )
I've only been working for Somerset Care for a short amount of time but the support throughout the teams and company on a whole is second to none. They offer good rates of pay and I've created some true friendships with my colleagues, seniors and managers.
Pros
rates of pay
12 November 2018
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. It is great to hear that you are enjoying working for us.
The care industry is not static and working in the industry is not for everyone; it takes hard-working, dedicated and caring people. For many carers - who I have spoken to over the years – it’s not ‘just about paying the bills’ or ‘making sure the rent is paid’ but about making a difference in a persons’ life. This is where Somerset Care is confused. Somerset Care prides them on providing a place where people get treated ‘with respect… with patience. .a place where people feel wanted and a place where people are properly looked after.’ However, this bemuses me as many staff do not feel wanted or properly looked after, commenting that there are constant demands to pick up extra shifts and hours, too much responsibility, feeling overwhelmed due to short shortages, poor management, little or no communication, feeling undervalued and overworked. However, maybe that is just the nature of the care industry? I suspect that many carers feel the same that work for competitors. As soon as these issues are addressed and managed correctly, I feel that Somerset Care will become a better employer. However, at present: ‘Somerset Care is not perfect’ sourced from: https://www.somersetcare.co.uk/message-jane-townson-chief-executive and I feel that this is how I would explain my time there.
Pros
Working as a team, Helping valuable people
Cons
Work and Life Balance, Staff Shortages, High Staff Turnover
22 April 2018
Many thanks for taking the time to review Somerset Care. We welcome the feedback in order for us to continue to work to improve.
The great things about Somerset care are the training opportunities and opprtunities for advancement and development. There are lots of different tyoes of care work within the company and they are keen to support people to stay with them . The company is forward looking and keep up with current research developments for example , dementia units based on person-centred care in an informal environment. The facilities are very good in general showing that the comany are putting profits back into the company. Management and organisation is good and holidays are also good. The pay is low as in the care sector in general which effects retention of staff . There are some really excellent staff , very committed and a good standard. The hours are good ,overlong shifts are not encouraged and regular, predictable rotas. There is plenty of overtime if you want to work longer hours. Very rewarding work and one of the best care companies to work for .
Pros
Good training and progression
Cons
Rate of pay and staff shortages
22 April 2018
Many thanks for taking the time to review Somerset Care. At Somerset Care we invest heavily in staff and our customers so we are really pleased you enjoyed your time working with us. We wish you all the best.
I have worked for Somerset care for 2 years I enjoy my work my manager is easy to talk to about any issues I have. I enjoy helping people with their day to day lives.
Pros
good manager this always helps
Cons
never enough staff
22 April 2018
Many thanks for taking the time to review Somerset Care. We are really pleased to hear you enjoy working for Somerset Care. In the Recruitment Team we continue to work on recruiting staff, looking at different ways to attract applicants and the benefits we can offer.
great place Friendly Great rate of pay Team work Great facilities Big place Nice staff Welcoming New management Great environment Long hours short hours
Brilliant work staff fantastic company fantastic hours to work. Clean care home. Understanding team members. Good condition of care home.clean beautiful rooms.
3 May 2017
Many thanks for taking the time to provide us with such a lovely comment about one of our Care Homes. As an organisation we pride ourselves on our cleanliness of our homes and our first class service to all including our employees. Kind regards Somerset Care Recruitment Team
9 May 2017
Many thanks for your lovely review of one of care homes. I notice you are a former employee, should you wish to discuss returning to Somerset Care at any time please do not hesitate to contact our internal Recruitment Team on 01823 448 321 as we would love to hear from you! Kind regardsSomerset Care Recruitment Team
A standard care company. Basic attributes met, managment could do with a refresh. Different homes are managed different ways but ultimately under the same enforcement. Could be more person centered.
Pros
Rewarding, decent hours.
Cons
Repetitive, not alot of room for advancement.
Good place of work good communication skills required . Close 2 town centre pay is ok not brilliant . Good place 2work friendly staff & service users lovely ppl 2 care for
Pros
Nope
Cons
Yes pick&. Chose
Very flexible, management don't really adhere to service users as they don't tend to leave the office, the salary is a lot less for the caters than they charge the service users for the service.
It's hard work but so rewarding. I really enjoyed my time there till I went on maternity leave and they couldn't give me the hours to suit childcare.
I assisted the elderly clients in all aspects of personal care and kindness.
Pros
lovely residents