SOMERSET CARE

SOMERSET CARE Employee Reviews for Support Worker

Terrible management who were really only interested in making their life easy. If you spoke to hr they consulted with the management who then made your life even worse. They pretend to have an ethos of supported living but in reality are only interested in the companies image.
Pros
Some good colleagues
Cons
Company should be called Somerset don't care. care .
I will say if you fancy a life in caring don’t be put off by the review. I’m reviewing the company not the profession. Fabulous supportive team members.Fabulous work ethics within the team.Fabulous clients. Fabulous job.SUCH A SHAME THE MANAGEMENT AND PLANNERS ARE INCOMPETENT.Constant changes to your work plan that’s if you’re lucky enough to get the next days run before 9 or 10 o’clock the night before! But don’t take it as red as likely to change,even mid round!Don’t bother with your availability as you WILL get lots of lovely texts and calls asking you to work on your days off. Don’t bother turning off your work phone because you’re personal phone will only start ringing and pinging.DO track your own mileage. DO tot up your hours remembering you ONLY get paid contact time and travel time to the next client. They love to give you 20 mins travel to do a 4 or 5 min journey.DONT bother sending in your expenses, you won’t get it.DONT bother logging the OT including doing the mandatory HUB training,you won’t get it.States guaranteed hours in the advert?!I can guarantee you will get gaps in your run. Go figure as always understaffed.Changing PPE policies to suit then lying when caught out.NO SUPPORT AT MANAGEMENT LEVEL. POOR COMMUNICATION.NO COMMUNICATION -MANAGEMENT LEVEL WITH OTHER DEPARTMENTS AND VISA VERSA.Such a shame
Pros
Lovely team lovely clients
Cons
See above
Not guaranteed hours. For e. G. You work 9-2(your availability), but they give you in mean time 2-3clients in between 2hours gap.. So.. Whats not really good
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Not guaranteed hours
The least caring company I have ever worked for which is particularly ironic considering it's a care company. Management is horrendous, lack of communication between managers and support workers. Guilt tripping used to get staff to stay on longer and pick up shifts. NOT person centred care, no fault of support workers but the attitude of management. A business rather than a care company An attitude of 'as long as the shift is covered we don't care about the care given or who is supporting' No sense of valuing staff. No support given when incidents occur. No supervisions.
Crazy hard workplace bad manager bad pay would not recommend at all I worked v hard there and had to leave as staff shortage paperwork etc all crazy team leader and management sit drinking coffee all day no way would I recommend
Pros
Good food
Cons
Long hours no staff
I don't like to talk bad about anyone especially after I invested time and energy into it,so I'll keep this as objective as possible. The residents they can be great, I mean with all their difficulties and issues they still make you want to come back and you actually establish a rapport. But the management the one that worked in the Huish house, is pathetic. I had 4 team leaders in six months of work there, they were sacked or moved. They continously change staff making it so hard for the residents. I've never seen so much staff coming and going in my entire career. I never had a supervision, never had any appraisals or any feedback. Just when I made a mistake I was informed on how to avoid and what's to be done. If you love this sort of job go for it but be mindful it's the management that lacks capacity not the residents. Hopefully the CEO will inspect this and realise how much money is wasted instead of investing it in people that actually like working with the residents .
Pros
Great residents
Cons
Management is awful
17 May 2019
Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy working for Somerset Care. We are always keen to get feedback in order to continually improve. If you did wish to discuss the concerns raised above, please email: hr@somersetcare.co.uk
understaffed, in offices and in community, 0 hour contracts, staff that are just about still there for the service users sake are plied with so much work and inadequate travel times (community care) clients charged triple time on Christmas day yet staff paid double time (hourly rate already less than half what clients charged per hour!) management don't listen when staff say they are overworked with not enough time between calls and don't amend rotas and plan calls properly, literally slot clients in where times fit with no other thought or consideration to carer or client. if it wasn't for the people i go to and stay extra time with (without claiming extra pay as i would get about £3 and they would be charged £10) as they need it i would have left a long time ago! currently seriously considering leaving with immediate effect. no wonder staff dont stay as they burn them out and overwork them and don't care for their carers!!! we need carers in this country but dont work for a "not for profit" company like this that pays carers minimum wage while charging up to £25 an hour (not bank holiday, not weekend, normal weekday private client) from the elderly, disabled and vulnerable service users.........register as a micro provider and go self employed and earn more for you per hour while charging less for the clients!!! i don't know how they get away with it (bluebird, lifeline, candlelight all as bad!)
Pros
Cons
see above
I have been working for Realise for just over a year. The Company will give you bespoke training for your role and any other training which you feel you need. They will work with you to get a rota around your personal life. Lots of support for both colleagues and service users. Lots of progressions opportunities throughout the company to gain qualifications (QCF). Lots of support from management, willing to help out. open door policy for both staff and service users. There can be hard parts to the job, however there is round the clock support even over Christmas and bank holidays. The job is very rewarding and you get a lo back from it.
Cons
good paid, excellent training, very supportive
12 November 2018
We are very pleased to hear that you are finding your role at Somerset Care rewarding. It is important to us that all of our colleagues receive high quality training and can access support when they need it. It is great to hear that this is what you are experiencing. Thank you for taking the time to write and send us your review.
THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR. Realise your potential they say. Laughable. Destroy your confidence. Send you to places with no preparation, no support and definately no worries about your safety. Management untrustworthy, will avoid putting any thing in writingand inefficient. Data protection, again laughable. Realise don’t bother asking me to give you feedback. You had that already and chose to turn your head the other way.
Pros
Money
Cons
Every thing
12 November 2018
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy working for Somerset Care. We are always keen to get feedback in order to continually improve. If you did wish to discuss the concerns you have raised above, please email: hr@somersetcare.co.uk
Some service-users are more challenging than others, and that would be ok if there was more support for the staff. Sometimes when you ring on-call you get an answer phone, and I have waited two hours for a reply before!! Most of the staff have refused to work with the most difficult service-users, and there are only a couple who have held-on. The management have engaged the services of agency (who are now also refusing to return!) to fill the gaps, instead of making seniors step-in. There are too many seniors (that are paid much more), and the majority of them seem to spend most of their time in the office.It used to be a ratio of 80% shift, 20% admin...it's the other way round now, and the regular support staff are feeling over-worked and unsupported. Shifts are constantly being swapped-about at short notice,and staff are continuously being asked to do more shifts to cover shortfalls. I feel exhausted all the time, and am resentful about the management not leading by example. In my opinion, seniors and care team supervisors should never ask their staff to do what they are not prepared to do themselves!
Pros
Helping service-users
Cons
Too much expectation on regular staff, and no support from management.
12 November 2018
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy working for Somerset Care. We are always keen to get feedback in order to continually improve. If you did wish to discuss the concerns raised above, please email: hr@somersetcare.co.uk or call us on 01823 448319
Management is totally useless,never listen to you.Clients are treated badly,neglected.Rotas are made to siut themselves not their clients,no travel time ,pay is poor compared that you out for 10 hours and you get paid for 7!
Pros
Cons
Poor management, poor pay
22 April 2018
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy working for Somerset Care. If you did wish to discuss the concerns raised above, please email: hr@somersetcare.co.uk
The company were fun and great to work for. Very supportive to their staff and clients. I learned how to support clients in an efficient and effective way. I learned how to update paperwork to the correct standered.
Pros
Lunch breaks when needed
Cons
Long hours, constant demands to pick up extra clients or extra hours so work life balance suffers. Clients do not get the care they deserve. Calls on days off guilt tripping to pick up the extra. Poor communication between management, admin and planners. Overall would not recommend
Large work load at times. didn't always get given enough time to get between clients. Communication wasn't wonderful. when office informing clients. their carer would be late.
Working as part of a small team where clients are on a 1:1 basis providing care and support with every aspect of daily living. management are supportive
My current position held at Somerset Care involves working on a shift (Rota) basis. Working as a contracted member of staff it is essential to cover the hours of a working week as well as ensure that we all have adequate personal time to encourage a healthy life balance with work. So, it is handled through senior staff to allocate the hours through discussing with members of staff the best allocated hours. I myself, have always been willing to take on any problematic shifts to ensure a relaxed working atmosphere. The hardest part of the job for myself is the physical involvement with disability apparatus as majority of the residents I work with do not have a disabled access vehicle. So, my personal vehicle is used instead. I get on very well with my colleagues, we all work closely both on a social level and a working level, to the point I was recently nominated to receive an award for exercising my energy towards working as a team.
Helping carry out day to day task such as personal care, finances and money. I have been trained in lots of areas and expanded on my skills i already had. My other colleagues are very helpful and we all work very well as a team. The hardest part of my job is when the service users are ill and your feel helpless. The most enjoyable part of the job is you leave your job knowing you are doing something good and its very rewarding.
Pros
Work on a one to one but in a small team.
Cons
Able to do long shifts
I worked here as a support worker for a group of four adults with learning disabilities. The role involved supporting them with personal care, food preparation, cleaning the home, and supporting to get involved in activities both within the home and the local community.