SOMERSET CARE

SOMERSET CARE Pay & benefits reviews

Head office especially.. no support, no job progression available. No thanks for working hard. The pay is very poor for what is involved. Most of the residential homes are lovely places but not a nice atmosphere to work in.
Pros
Lovely residents.
Cons
Head office, management & salary.
I enjoy working for Somerset Care, there is plenty of work available. The clients we support are so lovely, my manager is always on the end of the phone if I need something and everyone is polite and friendly.
Pros
Plenty of hours
Cons
Pay rate could be better
I worked in the community looking after young and old clients with some clients being severely disabled. I started off doing personal care then food and fluids prompt meds good rate of pay very friendly people to work for
Pros
Lots of training and courses
Cons
Having to travel long distances between calls
Staff friendly and helpful management poor rude and unhelpful always under staffed training poor long hours to make a good wage as hourly rate low no rewards for what you do i wont work for this company.
Pros
Job for life as always short staffed
Cons
Poor management
I feel that for handymen at Somerset care is a big responsibility they are to maintain the whole building and make sure things are running right within the building, and the wage dose not reflect on what we have to do and I feel they should increase the wages for that role because minimum wage doesn’t reflect on what we have to do it’s a massive responsibility to look after big homes or any home.
I have worked for Somerset care for 15 years and have had opportunities to progress. We have lots of training on site and on computer to help with our job roles. I find management approachable and understanding. I enjoy my job as every day is different and varied and I like to feel that I make a difference to the residents in the home. We have company benefits through my caring awards.
I have been working for Somerset care, Frith House since September and in that time I have learnt so much. I find the whole home has a lovely warm, welcoming atmosphere. We receive lots of training to keep us on top form for our residents and their families. The company offers us incentives to pick up shifts as well as having company benefits through My Caring Rewards. Management are extremely supportive and approachable. They are always willing to do all they can for staff, residents and residents families. I loved my previous job, but feel like I've found a job for life here! I absolutely love my job role and all that comes with it.
Pros
Supportive, Great atmosphere
Cons
N/a
Will always pay the minimum they are legally required to, whilst they charge residents the highest they possibly can. Often an excessively High workload, e.g., on new years day many staff called in sick, so the ones who did turn up had to do 4 Times the work load, this would have saved the company money, but the unpaid wages of the ‘sick’ staff was not shared at all with the staff who picked up the brunt of it. This reflects the general lack of spirit in the company, most of the staff are friendly and helpful though.
Low wages ,too many hours working to make ends meet , good company , hard work , rewarding and challenging. Emotional , gaining experience and training.
Not guaranteed hours. For e. G. You work 9-2(your availability), but they give you in mean time 2-3clients in between 2hours gap.. So.. Whats not really good
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Not guaranteed hours
Extremely hard working conditions with little if any support. Critical comments on the things you don't manage to get done instead of possitive comments or thanks for all the hard work you do . Always short staffed. Extremely stressful thankless role.
Pros
Most staff work as a team giving support to eachother
Cons
Poor pay, no benefits or bonuses, workload
The job role can be very rewarding however the benefits and pay are poor. Care givers are constantly struggling with low staffing levels and even when fully staffed service users do not always get the level of care they need. The care industry is hampered by budgets and red tape which doesn't always give people the care and support they might expect. This type of job is a constant battle to balance high standards with lack of time and support. A well run care home is a pleasure to work in, with management and care givers working well to give an excellent level of service, however this cannot be said of all care homes. Where this is the case, the work ethos and atmosphere is often negative to the detriment of staff and service users.
Organisation is key Management seem to be fair, not very flexible though if you have kids When you lose a resient whether you have just met them or known them for a while. it is never easy either way Enjoy listening to the residents life history
Pros
you get paid for training and they provide cost for DBS
Cons
long hours, pay deducted for breaks
Where to start this is the worst company I have ever worked for and has left me totally exhausted. You have no support from the office and your expected to work 7 days a week we are only a number to them. The staff in the office are constantly on the phone asking you to pick up extra calls and if you say no your treated like dirt. They are quick to pull you into the office for negative feedback and supervisions but never praise you for the things you’ve done good. Management are a total joke they have no compassion or empathy for the staff let alone clients. If they are unable to cover a call they cancel it but still manage to charge the client and as for Christmas don’t get me started forget it cause working for this company means you have no family life . Staff constantly leaving but nobody asking why . Do hope this information has been a great help .
Pros
Cons
Not for profit company ( seriously )
This company is diabolical!! The management lack in people skills and empathy with a “couldn’t care less” attitude. If you want any sort of support, you aren’t going to get it. You are treated like a donkey and are not given any sort of gratitude! Forget about holidays as they tend to reject even with 2 months notice! If you struggle with child care, don’t expect any flexibility as they simply do not understand! Regularly receive 4-5 rosters per day, never know what you are doing, no travel time, constantly being called text or emailed to cover extra calls! Never receive any sort of praise, it’s always negative!! The management team are awful! The office environment is unpleasant!
12 November 2018
Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy working for Somerset Care. We are always keen to get feedback in order to continually improve. If you did wish to discuss the concerns raised above, please email: hr@somersetcare.co.uk or call us on 01823 448319
Very supportive,. friendly people.There are lots of benefits and very good training.They are very flexible and particularly supportive of working mothers. It was a real honour to have worked here.
Pros
Good pension
Cons
Some difficult internal politics
Not a good company to work for, got phone calls even when I was on holiday abroad wanting me to confirm if I could work extra! Pretty difficult when your couple of thousand miles away! No flexibility yet your meant to be flexible for them! Wouldn’t recommend at all! If you don’t do what they want they threaten to lower your guaranteed hours! No choice of what hours you do 7am starts and 10pm finishes! Not worth the stress there are companies out there that pay more and treat staff much better. Countless issues with pay roll! The list goes on! And if your shift falls on Christmas Boxing Day and New Year’s Day your expected to do it all! Even when they are all long days which means no time with family over Christmas! They will not make any effort to give you any time off over Christmas! Very disheartening company to work for
12 November 2018
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy working for Somerset Care. If you did wish to discuss the concerns raised above, please email: hr@somersetcare.co.uk
I've only been working for Somerset Care for a short amount of time but the support throughout the teams and company on a whole is second to none. They offer good rates of pay and I've created some true friendships with my colleagues, seniors and managers.
Pros
rates of pay
12 November 2018
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. It is great to hear that you are enjoying working for us.
Management is totally useless,never listen to you.Clients are treated badly,neglected.Rotas are made to siut themselves not their clients,no travel time ,pay is poor compared that you out for 10 hours and you get paid for 7!
Pros
Cons
Poor management, poor pay
22 April 2018
Lovely clients and a variety of work. However office manager and business manager are very poor. Constant rota changes no travel time. No respect as an employee. Constant phone calls even on day off. Short staffing and low morale within the team. Not a good place to work. Which is sad as the clients and there family’s deserve better. If you can work and be prepared to travel lots then this is the job for you.
Pros
Good wages lots of hours
Cons
Long shifts constant pressure poor management
12 November 2018
Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. It is important to us. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy working for Somerset Care. We are always keen to get feedback in order to continually improve. If you did wish to discuss the concerns raised above, please email: hr@somersetcare.co.uk or call us on 01823 448319
Working for Somerset Care was enjoyable. Working as as a Care Assistant was an extremely rewarding job. It was nice to be able to get to know all the residents and be able to help them with things they struggled to do for themselves in everyday life.
Pros
Free lunches, free uniform, free DBS check
Cons
Doing long days (12 hour shifts)
12 November 2018
Many thanks for taking the time to write to us with your feedback. It is important to us. We are very pleased to hear that you found working for Somerset Care extremely rewarding. Best wishes