Somerset County Council

Somerset County Council Employee Reviews

When I first started to was great I loved my job but when the department merged it went down hill. Lack of communication was the biggest issue for the company
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
lack of communication from managnent
20 July 2020
I’m sorry to hear of your experiences. Please do speak to your line manager or someone in your HR team who can listen to your concerns and look to address them.
Worked for SCC for 5 years; significant positive improvements across the whole service means it is a positive, progressive, and supportive organisation
Pros
Supportive management, career progression, creative working, ongoing improvements, CPD opportunities.
Cons
I have worked for SCC for 6 years and in that time they have really invested in my personal development, as a result I started as a newly qualified worker and am now part of the management team. I have really felt part of the SCC journey.
Pros
Investment in your future
Cons
Sometimes lots of pressure but this is fine if you like to rise to a challenge
Somerset are always looking at ways to improve; training opportunities are available and workers are encouraged to develop. I feel able to have a good work/life balance, and am really pleased with the management team. Caseloads are extremely manageable, the area we work in (Taunton) is lovely, and morale amongst our team is high.
Pros
Training opportunities, good work/life balance, satisfactory pay
4 weeks into working for Somerset county council and the difference in my work/life balance is amazing.The help and support received is top class and everyone is so friendly and willing to listen and help even when extremely busy.Am loving my new job and everyone I have met and worked with so far.
Pros
Work life balance
I've worked for SCC for seventeen years and have worked my way up from being an admin assistant to a manager of a very small but efficient team working within adults and health social care finance. In a typical day, we deal with many customer queries as we are quite front facing even though we work within finance. It is fast paced and busy with no two days being the same. It can be challenging but I like that. I have found my senior management team to be very supportive and flexible. There is always opportunities for training and development as well advancing through the company. It is very satisfying to know what my team and I do is making a difference.
Pros
Flexible working, Supportive, Good work and home life balance, Great team mentality but little micro management, Sense of pride in making a difference
Cons
Can be stressful, Crazy busy, Can feel a sense of responsibility as a representative of the council
I have worked at Somerset CC for 5 years in total, with a break of a year in between 2 jobs.I have worked in both Children's Social Care and now work in Mental Health Social Care. I left Children's Social Care to pursue a career more focused around mental health, however soon realised that I missed being a Social Worker in a statutory organisation and came back to Somerset CC and joined the Mental Health Social Care team as a Social Worker. In terms of the speciality I work within, I have learnt huge amounts of new knowledge and continue to do so! What I love about Somerset CC, is that individual progression is very much promoted and tailored to how you wish to develop yourself. I have been lucky to have the opportunities to develop into a management role since joining the council again and this has been a great learning curve for me and gives me more motivation to continue with my onward career goals!It is a demanding job but the support and positive work culture makes it a great place to work. My job is fast paced and this works well for me, it keeps the job exciting and new challenges to tackle!Work life balance is very promoted in my work culture, so it is difficult to specify the 'hardest' parts as there is someone to talk to when needed and supervision is a core part of our practice in Social Care at Somerset CC. A big thing I have learnt over the last few years is that we have the opportunity to make an impact and turn the more difficult situations into something positive and this can boost personal and team morale significantly. Putting that time and effort into - more...
I have a really supportive management and work with a team of really friendly and helpful colleagues. The work is varied and ever changing which i really like and we're often trail blazing in comparison to other councils when it comes to transformation and ICT. We are able to work flexibly which is really useful for work/life balance and there are good opportunities to train, learn from others and continuously develop.
Pros
Opportunities to develop and learn, flexible working options, supportive managers, good office environment and tools to work from home
Cons
A large organisation so culture and management can vary in different teams
18 November 2020
Thank you for your positive feedback. We agree, there's been some fantastic trail blazing achievements from our ICT and digital teams recently and more on the way. Thanks for taking time to write your review.
I have been at SCC for over 12 years, during that time I have worked with a variety of brilliant teams, each time developing new skills and experience. SCC comprises of a huge number of varied services - every service offers different job roles alongside individual cultures, bringing different challenges and opportunities.SCC has adapted really well to fully remote working during the pandemic, with staff wellbeing being top of the agenda. Technology use has enabled teams to stay connected to each other and carry out their roles with minimum disruption to frontline services.
Pros
Great teams, good pay and pension / staff benefits
Cons
As with every large organisation, experience can vary depending on the role and service you are in!
16 October 2020
Thank you for your positive feedback. It’s fantastic you’ve been able to work with such a variety of teams and develop your skills and experience! And yes, the investment made by SCC in technology and software has really paid off, when lockdown occurred we were in a position to mobilise staff quickly into working from home, aided by brilliant support from our ICT teams. Thanks for taking time to write your review.
I love my job as I feel like I indirectly make a positive impact to my community and my manager gives me the freedom to achieve my goals and make positive changes. The flexibility is also great.
Pros
Making a positive difference, work-life balance
Cons
Pay could be improved for some roles
16 October 2020
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on working at Somerset County Council. I’m really glad you are enjoying the positive impact you can make and the flexibility we offer our employees.
need i say more!!!! poor and bad management!!!! Experienced staff for basic tasks have to jump through managerial hoops all of the time. This leads to feeling undervalued and incompetent.
Pros
Cons
long hours bad management
20 October 2020
Thank you for writing your review. We are working hard to make sure that managers across the Council are supported and skilled in providing a working environment where teams can work in an open and constructive way. It would be helpful to have some specifics from you so that we can follow up where needed. If you would like to provide further feedback, you can contact us on recruitment@somerset.gov.uk, and we will take this forwards with our HR colleagues.
Never again with such rude managers, no guidance, limited training, culturally not diverse, gossiping under managers, backstabbing, poor induction, limited orientation to new beginners
Pros
Clean working environment
Cons
High staff turn around, fly by night managers
29 September 2020
Thank you for writing your review, we’re sorry to hear you felt that the organisation failed to provide a supportive environment. We are working hard to make sure that managers across the Council are supported and skilled in providing a working environment where teams can thrive and work in an open and constructive way. We recognise that we need to continue to work collectively to improve and develop this. It would be helpful to have some specifics from you so that we can review our internal processes. If you would like to provide further feedback, you can contact us on recruitment@somerset.gov.uk, we will take this forwards with our HR colleagues.
The work was high volume, struggling to find answers with limited resources however the staff worked collaboratively to find answers and would go the extra mile to support you.
29 September 2020
Thank you for your review and feedback. We're pleased you enjoyed the supportive and collaborative culture here.
29 September 2020
Great place to work, good benefits, progression and nice staff. Management issues, staff are anxious and stressed, while managers dont know how to communicate and support staff.
Benefits
Cons
Staff can be treated poorly. Parking is almost non existant.
29 September 2020
Thank you for writing your review, we’re pleased you enjoyed the benefits, working with your team and the progression opportunities available. We are working hard to make sure that managers across the Council are supported and skilled in providing a working environment where teams can thrive and work in an open and constructive way. We recognise that we need to continue to work collectively to improve and develop this. It would be helpful to have some specifics from you so that we can review our internal processes. If you would like to provide further feedback, you can contact us on recruitment@somerset.gov.uk, we will take this forwards with our HR colleagues.
I worked there as a temp and you are treated so differently to the perm staff. Awful people and environment , they make sure they look after their own. Don’t like whistle blowing , when you go to your manager you expect some support but nothing. Horrible nasty women work there . Can’t deal with nothing very poorly ran and even no pens to write with as they had no money for orders and this is a county loling after kids in I care .
29 September 2020
Very helpful staff always ready to give you information and point you in the right direction. They keep your details and provide schools with them if they ask. The only problem I have had is that not very many schools think to use the service and funnily enough, pay more to use an agency which cannot really offer anything more that would be worth the extra cost.
29 September 2020
Thank you for your positive review and feedback. We will pass this onto our supply teacher staffing team.
interesting place to work but would not reccommend it easily due to high volume of work and potential stress levels. Good work place for hard workers.
29 September 2020
Thank you for your review, we are glad you found the role interesting, and take on board your comments around high volume of work. We are always looking at new ways of working to streamline processes and work.
29 September 2020
Thank you for your review, we are glad you found the role and workplace interesting, and take on board your comments around high volume of work. We are always looking at new ways of working to streamline processes and workload.
A great place to work with lots of room to progress, I learnt a lot in my time there and enjoyed the responbility: lots of training provided and your always kept up to date with additional training.
16 December 2019
Thank you for your positive review and I am glad you made the most of the excellent training on offer.
Inherent hierarchical inflexible management structure, non collaborative and wasteful of public resources. if the management were running a private business it would be insolvent and bankrupt within six months.too many Chiefs and not enough Indians looking after their own interests.
16 December 2019
Thank you for your review. We're a large and complex organisation with a huge variety of services and we agree we aren’t perfect, however we have seen big improvement and change over the last year. This includes winning a national award for our Public Health Team, a national award for our HR team, and a regional award for our contact centre. Most recently we have been listed in IMPOWER’s report as one of the top 10 most improved councils, up 32 places.We have now turned the corner financially and although we’ve had difficulties and got much more to do, we’re getting colleagues across the organisation and Somerset working together, making it a really exciting time to join us.
Driven to severe anxiety by job, which was made worse by mis-informed management unable to deal with mental health or pre menopause issues. No occupational health reviews just told to return to work. Not a good place
16 December 2019
Thank you for your feedback and I’m sorry to hear you felt unsupported. We are working hard to ensure that managers across the Council are supported and skilled in providing a constructive working environment. We do recognise that we need to continue to work to develop this. It would be helpful to have some further details from you so that we can take this forward with our HR colleagues. If you would like to provide further feedback, you can contact us on recruitment@somerset.gov.uk.As an organisation in the last year we have started a number of initiatives to support women going through the menopause. This includes a Menopause Café and a women’s health support group, we’ve also set up a section on our intranet with links to information and resources. It covers workplace issues and gives guidance for both staff and managers. We also now have an HR guide for managers. In terms of support for Mental Health we have trained Mental Health First Aiders across the organisation to support colleagues and also run a number of sessions around mental health awareness but are always looking at ways to develop and improve this.
I became disabled whilst working for this company They offered little support and did not have resolutions for my needs Rather than support they actively sought to ensure my continued employment was impossible
16 December 2019
I’m sorry to hear you felt unsupported while you were working with us. It would be helpful to have some further details from you so that we can take this forward with our HR colleagues. If you would like to provide further feedback, you can contact us on recruitment@somerset.gov.uk.