Somerset County Council

Somerset County Council Employee Reviews

Overall enjoyed working for SCC only left as moving to Wales to start a new life.. All my work colleagues were spot on. Would still be there if not moving away......
Pros
Flexible wotking
Cons
None really
I was apprehensive working for a local authority again after over a decade in the third sector. I was worried progress would be slow and collaboration minimal. I have been so pleased to be so wrong. I've seen so much collaboration, innovation and creativity. A complete focus on the best interests of the families we support. I've been in post 6 months now, some really great training opportunities too.
Pros
Flexibility, collaboration, care
Cons
Usual pressures of the sector - but always looking for solutions which is a plus
13 May 2021
Thank-you for your review. We are delighted that you are enjoying your first 6 months and that working for us has surpassed your expectations!
A great place to work, supportive team managers who you can approach with ease across all teams. Lots of accessible training with ability to specialise in areas. Full support in progressing your career in the direction you wish. Somerset now has specialised workers based in social work teams including substance misuse, DV and mental health, no more lengthy referrals and families are offered support without delay. Great team spirit with team members working together, sharing knowledge and helping each other out when needed. Job security 5*.
Pros
Supportive team environment, good humor amongst all including management, regular supervision, job security and fabulous accessible training.
Cons
Always cake in the office - no good for waist line!
13 April 2021
Thanks for reviewing Somerset County Council. We're delighted to hear your positive experience working here, and hope you have some good cake recipes to share :)
I have worked for Somerset County Council for 8 years in a number of roles. No two days are the same and I enjoy the variety.The workplace culture is relaxed and supportive. I have always had good support for both peers and management. The good team ethos is one of the best parts of the job.Progression is a priority within Somerset and workers are supported to take steps to work towards new, advanced roles.
Pros
Great team ethos
Cons
Would like better retention incentives for permanent staff
13 April 2021
Thanks for your positive review of Somerset County Council! We're pleased to hear you are enjoying your time with us.
Worked for SCC for 5 years; significant positive improvements across the whole service means it is a positive, progressive, and supportive organisation
Pros
Supportive management, career progression, creative working, ongoing improvements, CPD opportunities.
13 April 2021
Thanks for reviewing Somerset County Council. We're delighted to hear you are enjoying your time with us.
I have worked for SCC for 6 years and in that time they have really invested in my personal development, as a result I started as a newly qualified worker and am now part of the management team. I have really felt part of the SCC journey.
Pros
Investment in your future
Cons
Sometimes lots of pressure but this is fine if you like to rise to a challenge
13 April 2021
Thanks for taking time to write your review. We're really pleased to hear you've been able to take advantage of the progression opportunities available. Thanks for all your hard work!
Somerset are always looking at ways to improve; training opportunities are available and workers are encouraged to develop. I feel able to have a good work/life balance, and am really pleased with the management team. Caseloads are extremely manageable, the area we work in (Taunton) is lovely, and morale amongst our team is high.
Pros
Training opportunities, good work/life balance, satisfactory pay
13 April 2021
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate your positive feedback.
4 weeks into working for Somerset county council and the difference in my work/life balance is amazing.The help and support received is top class and everyone is so friendly and willing to listen and help even when extremely busy.Am loving my new job and everyone I have met and worked with so far.
Pros
Work life balance
13 April 2021
Thanks for taking time to leave us a review, we're delighted you are settling in and enjoying your new role.
I've worked for SCC for seventeen years and have worked my way up from being an admin assistant to a manager of a very small but efficient team working within adults and health social care finance. In a typical day, we deal with many customer queries as we are quite front facing even though we work within finance. It is fast paced and busy with no two days being the same. It can be challenging but I like that. I have found my senior management team to be very supportive and flexible. There is always opportunities for training and development as well advancing through the company. It is very satisfying to know what my team and I do is making a difference.
Pros
Flexible working, Supportive, Good work and home life balance, Great team mentality but little micro management, Sense of pride in making a difference
Cons
Can be stressful, Crazy busy, Can feel a sense of responsibility as a representative of the council
13 April 2021
Thanks for your positive feedback. We're really pleased you've taken advantage of the progression opportunities available - thank you for all your hard work over the last 17 years!
I have worked at Somerset CC for 5 years in total, with a break of a year in between 2 jobs.I have worked in both Children's Social Care and now work in Mental Health Social Care. I left Children's Social Care to pursue a career more focused around mental health, however soon realised that I missed being a Social Worker in a statutory organisation and came back to Somerset CC and joined the Mental Health Social Care team as a Social Worker. In terms of the speciality I work within, I have learnt huge amounts of new knowledge and continue to do so! What I love about Somerset CC, is that individual progression is very much promoted and tailored to how you wish to develop yourself. I have been lucky to have the opportunities to develop into a management role since joining the council again and this has been a great learning curve for me and gives me more motivation to continue with my onward career goals!It is a demanding job but the support and positive work culture makes it a great place to work. My job is fast paced and this works well for me, it keeps the job exciting and new challenges to tackle!Work life balance is very promoted in my work culture, so it is difficult to specify the 'hardest' parts as there is someone to talk to when needed and supervision is a core part of our practice in Social Care at Somerset CC. A big thing I have learnt over the last few years is that we have the opportunity to make an impact and turn the more difficult situations into something positive and this can boost personal and team morale significantly. Putting that time and effort into - more...
13 April 2021
Thank you for taking time to write a detailed review of your role and working at Somerset County Council. We're delighted you're enjoying the job and working at Somerset County Council.
I have a really supportive management and work with a team of really friendly and helpful colleagues. The work is varied and ever changing which i really like and we're often trail blazing in comparison to other councils when it comes to transformation and ICT. We are able to work flexibly which is really useful for work/life balance and there are good opportunities to train, learn from others and continuously develop.
Pros
Opportunities to develop and learn, flexible working options, supportive managers, good office environment and tools to work from home
Cons
A large organisation so culture and management can vary in different teams
18 November 2020
Thank you for your positive feedback. We agree, there's been some fantastic trail blazing achievements from our ICT and digital teams recently and more on the way. Thanks for taking time to write your review.
I have been at SCC for over 12 years, during that time I have worked with a variety of brilliant teams, each time developing new skills and experience. SCC comprises of a huge number of varied services - every service offers different job roles alongside individual cultures, bringing different challenges and opportunities.SCC has adapted really well to fully remote working during the pandemic, with staff wellbeing being top of the agenda. Technology use has enabled teams to stay connected to each other and carry out their roles with minimum disruption to frontline services.
Pros
Great teams, good pay and pension / staff benefits
Cons
As with every large organisation, experience can vary depending on the role and service you are in!
16 October 2020
Thank you for your positive feedback. It’s fantastic you’ve been able to work with such a variety of teams and develop your skills and experience! And yes, the investment made by SCC in technology and software has really paid off, when lockdown occurred we were in a position to mobilise staff quickly into working from home, aided by brilliant support from our ICT teams. Thanks for taking time to write your review.
I love my job as I feel like I indirectly make a positive impact to my community and my manager gives me the freedom to achieve my goals and make positive changes. The flexibility is also great.
Pros
Making a positive difference, work-life balance
Cons
Pay could be improved for some roles
16 October 2020
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on working at Somerset County Council. I’m really glad you are enjoying the positive impact you can make and the flexibility we offer our employees.
need i say more!!!! poor and bad management!!!! Experienced staff for basic tasks have to jump through managerial hoops all of the time. This leads to feeling undervalued and incompetent.
Pros
Cons
long hours bad management
20 October 2020
Thank you for writing your review. We are working hard to make sure that managers across the Council are supported and skilled in providing a working environment where teams can work in an open and constructive way. It would be helpful to have some specifics from you so that we can follow up where needed. If you would like to provide further feedback, you can contact us on recruitment@somerset.gov.uk, and we will take this forwards with our HR colleagues.
Never again with such rude managers, no guidance, limited training, culturally not diverse, gossiping under managers, backstabbing, poor induction, limited orientation to new beginners
Pros
Clean working environment
Cons
High staff turn around, fly by night managers
29 September 2020
Thank you for writing your review, we’re sorry to hear you felt that the organisation failed to provide a supportive environment. We are working hard to make sure that managers across the Council are supported and skilled in providing a working environment where teams can thrive and work in an open and constructive way. We recognise that we need to continue to work collectively to improve and develop this. It would be helpful to have some specifics from you so that we can review our internal processes. If you would like to provide further feedback, you can contact us on recruitment@somerset.gov.uk, we will take this forwards with our HR colleagues.
When I first started to was great I loved my job but when the department merged it went down hill. Lack of communication was the biggest issue for the company
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
lack of communication from managnent
20 July 2020
I’m sorry to hear of your experiences. Please do speak to your line manager or someone in your HR team who can listen to your concerns and look to address them.
The work was high volume, struggling to find answers with limited resources however the staff worked collaboratively to find answers and would go the extra mile to support you.
29 September 2020
Thank you for your review and feedback. We're pleased you enjoyed the supportive and collaborative culture here.
29 September 2020
Great place to work, good benefits, progression and nice staff. Management issues, staff are anxious and stressed, while managers dont know how to communicate and support staff.
Benefits
Cons
Staff can be treated poorly. Parking is almost non existant.
29 September 2020
Thank you for writing your review, we’re pleased you enjoyed the benefits, working with your team and the progression opportunities available. We are working hard to make sure that managers across the Council are supported and skilled in providing a working environment where teams can thrive and work in an open and constructive way. We recognise that we need to continue to work collectively to improve and develop this. It would be helpful to have some specifics from you so that we can review our internal processes. If you would like to provide further feedback, you can contact us on recruitment@somerset.gov.uk, we will take this forwards with our HR colleagues.
I worked there as a temp and you are treated so differently to the perm staff. Awful people and environment , they make sure they look after their own. Don’t like whistle blowing , when you go to your manager you expect some support but nothing. Horrible nasty women work there . Can’t deal with nothing very poorly ran and even no pens to write with as they had no money for orders and this is a county loling after kids in I care .
29 September 2020
Thank you for your feedback and I’m sorry to hear you felt unsupported. We are working hard to ensure that managers across the Council are supported and skilled in providing a constructive working environment. We do recognise that we need to continue to work to develop this. It would be helpful to have some further details from you so that we can take this forward with our HR colleagues. If you would like to provide further feedback, you can contact us on recruitment@somerset.gov.uk.
Very helpful staff always ready to give you information and point you in the right direction. They keep your details and provide schools with them if they ask. The only problem I have had is that not very many schools think to use the service and funnily enough, pay more to use an agency which cannot really offer anything more that would be worth the extra cost.
29 September 2020
Thank you for your positive review and feedback. We will pass this onto our supply teacher staffing team.
interesting place to work but would not reccommend it easily due to high volume of work and potential stress levels. Good work place for hard workers.
29 September 2020
Thank you for your review, we are glad you found the role interesting, and take on board your comments around high volume of work. We are always looking at new ways of working to streamline processes and work.
29 September 2020
Thank you for your review, we are glad you found the role and workplace interesting, and take on board your comments around high volume of work. We are always looking at new ways of working to streamline processes and workload.